Unmentioned (I think)

  • Fred Ladd
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2007
      I haven't read any commentz- or missed em all - about Micro-trains
      FULL COLOR , full page add, for Z scale in the DEC issiue of Model
      Railroader. A very colorful picture of a Canadien National hook up.
      It was placed just after the trackside photos. The picture almost
      makes it look like HO in scale.
      Honest appraisal-- and I hope this does not fluff up the feathers of
      some zers. It's a very nice foto-- yup - BUT the details are lost in
      the truck frames, and the overall impression I get is-- it's nice
      but the trackside fotos are much more realistic.
      Jourg takes wonderful pictures on highly detailed diorammas. We can't
      seem to get any Z in the trackside foto section--MR is still very
      resistant to Z! But if Jurge's fotos were used, the other scales
      would really have to take notice.
      Another thought here.. as more NEW micro train rolling stock comes
      out, feature more than just one item. This is a full page but only
      one picture of "one" engine. I would think more interest would be
      generated if several cars and engines are featured.
      Having a private person take fotos for train adds is not new... Many
      were taken on John Allan's famouse layout. Micro trains could open it
      up to other modelers (within limitz). It's a way to get great
      pictures in MR, good advertising, and possibly more interest in Z.
      Lawyer speak::::: I have not talked to jurge-can't remember how to
      spell his name.. Have no idea of Micro trains add policies and all
      such missnamed nonedisclosure leagal tword wisting.
      Wanting the Bezt for Z,
      Fred
      Just my non cents
    • Randall Smidt
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2007
        You make some good points Fred.

        I think at least once MTL HAS run an ad featuring multiple pieces of rolling stock and/or locos. These could be more effective to show what IS available. However, when a major new item is released, I think the ads usually feature that item alone. If you see one item, you know that one thing is now available. If you see an ad with the whole spectrum of what's available (like USA Trains' ads for G scale) you start to dream about what is possible.

        I've been after Juerg to send some of his photos in to Model Railroader as well. His photos and some other's like Robert Ray have really shown us some photos of Z that you couldn't tell from HO and some even show Z's great advantage of large landscapes. Another place to get noticed would be the gallery section in Walther's N/Z catalog, aka "the dream book".

        Randy

        Fred Ladd <zeagle99@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Jeff BAZ-man
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2007
          Besides putting a "family" or "collection of ALL the Z scale
          available, the two points for me to sell is the detail and
          availability of Z. But to do that, one needs to also put it into
          persepective too. Blowing it up to HO size can surely show off the
          detail (or, lack there of) but the ideas of either the capabilities
          of Z (like the John Cubbing dioramas, Torsja's creations, etc.) or
          simply the comparison to the other scales (or just put it in your
          hand) can sell it more.

          Jeff
          SF Bay Area Z