Re: [Z_Scale] MTL Packaging Options discussed.

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
      Well Joe, this won't come as any surprise to you since I know the inner
      workings of MTL fairly well, but your suggestion is a hands down winner all
      the way around.

      As we have talked many times in the past,........I and others are no doubt
      standing in line with money in fist just waiting for the undecs.

      Count me in for at least 50,000 as a start............:O)

      Well, at least a couple of dozen as you know some of my customers are
      currently cursing MTL for empty shelves.

      Loren

      PS. Ok all of you out there in Z land, you know how the squeaky wheel gets
      the oil. Now is the time to flood MTL with emails asking for this very item
      You know that many of us need undecs. Send them to Joe and he'll make
      sure the right folks see the emails.

      Ask not what Z can do for you, but ask what you can do for Z........ You
      can vote ""YES" on undecs.

      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
        > regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
        > the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
        > seems obvious to approach this particular product this way.

        Works for me - on one condition. You don;t take the disassembled as far
        as the couplers. Trying to assemble microtrains couplers is almost enough
        to make you go back to Märklin ;)

        Alan
      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
          Alan,
          I'm with you on the couplers......I've assembled a few and though it takes
          only a few minutes each.....I end up about a year older per coupler and with
          less hair.......arghhhhhh !!

          Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things together
          for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?
          Loren

          > regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
          > the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
          > seems obvious to approach this particular product this way.

          Works for me - on one condition. You don;t take the disassembled as far
          as the couplers. Trying to assemble microtrains couplers is almost enough
          to make you go back to Märklin ;)

          Alan

        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
            > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things together
            > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?

            I'd assumed MTL had a machine for it ?

            Alan
          • Randall Smidt

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                Joe,

                Are you talking just box cars or will you be trying to provide undecs in
                all the different car types?

                Manfred

                Joe DAmato wrote:

                >Hi all,
                >
                >Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
                >regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
                >the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
                >seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
                >with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
                >brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
                >can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
                >thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.
                >
                >Cheers
                >
                >Joe
                >MTL
                >

                >Z-scale: minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!
                >
                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Glen Chenier
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007

                  > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things
                  together
                  > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?

                  Let me guess...

                  They use binocular microscopes with deep eye relief?

                  They use the N/Z scale coupler assembly jig or maybe something even
                  better?

                  They use the "thread through the spring" trick?

                  Maybe they have a LOT of experience too!

                  And wanna bet that on occasion, just like most everybody else, even
                  they probably scream, cuss, and rant about blankety-blank dumb stupid
                  springs.... Sometimes a good cussing fit makes things work perfectly
                  on the next attempt. Why? Physcological or physical relief?
                • Zane H. Healy
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                    > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things together
                    > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?
                    > Loren

                    I'm curious, are all the people doing the job really women? Reminds me of
                    the old days of computing when Core Plane memory (minature magentic donuts
                    on the cross-sections of a weave of fine wires that predate chips being used
                    for computer memory) were all made by women, because men couldn't do the
                    work.

                    Zane
                  • Zane H. Healy
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                      > Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                      I hope to have a custom painted "Portland & Western" engine in the next few
                      months. I need to get some good pictures of the engines running on TV
                      Highway. I'm planning on a train primarily hauling timber products.

                      The best bet looks to be to use a GP35 for a GP39-2.

                      For those not from this area, here is a page with pictures.
                      http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandWesternRR.html

                      Zane
                    • Loren Snyder
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                        You're probably right on all counts Glen. I've watched them for a while and
                        I shudder at the thought of doing that for a living.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                          Joe...
                          I'd be in the market for undecorated cars of all kinds.
                          DEWEY

                          Joe DAmato wrote:

                          >Hi all,
                          >
                          >Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
                          >regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
                          >the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
                          >seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
                          >with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
                          >brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
                          >can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
                          >thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.
                          >
                          >Cheers
                          >
                          >Joe
                          >MTL
                          >

                          >Z-scale: minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!
                          >
                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.
                        • John & Sue Bartolotto
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                            Joe,

                            Great idea, but without a even a decal manufacturer out there who has a
                            decent selection of Z scale decals then I don't see this as a big seller,
                            unless of course MTL is going to step up and start an aftermarket decal
                            manufacturing section (hey, not a bad idea!).

                            John

                          • FR.model@t-online.de
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                              Joe,

                              about one year ago I have released a bunch of about 50 boxcars
                              of your #14100 series. The parts came bulk packed from your company.
                              I made a special Old-Style "New York New Haven & Hartford Railroad"
                              paint scheme pad printed to fit the cars to my old EY-3 NH electric.
                              The jig to adjust the separate doors at the print machine was a great
                              challenge ;o)

                              We have had no problems with the assembly except the brake wheels.
                              The Peacock brake wheel's shafts did not fit in the endwall's drill.
                              We had to predrill all car bodies with a 0.5mm drill. This might
                              be a problem for hobby modelers. Doing this "free hand" may break
                              the drill easy. Drilling too fast would melt the plastic and may
                              plug the drill's spiral and finally break it too.

                              There were no problems with the separate door assemblies. Some
                              customers
                              asked the cars with your #907 Marklin style coupler. The center eye of
                              these couplers was too small to fit to the car body's truck bolsters.

                              I hope this helps

                              Harald

                            • Larry Donsbach
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                                I think this a great Idea. It provides us cars that we can decorate
                                ourselves at a lower cost and opens up a larger market for those decal
                                makers that are now doing z decals.

                                I have enjoyed the unpainted flat and bulkend cars and have often
                                wondered if other cars were in the future.

                                I know that you have always had many, many plans rolling around in you
                                head as you once said "I have a lot of ideas that I have been thinking
                                about but can't talk about them yet." I believe this happened at a BBQ
                                following the Ft Worth World's Greatest Hobby Show.

                                Hurray for those ideas.

                                Larry Donsbach
                                San Antonio
                                www.zscaleinfo.com
                              • dpstripe@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                                  Joe,
                                  I think that it is a very good idea. The availability of MT's undecorated
                                  rolling stock has always been a hit or miss kind of thing. Going straight from
                                  manufacturing/parts to packaging and bypassing production would streamline
                                  the process on MT's end as well as for the modeler. This could make the undec
                                  end of your business almost an "on demand" service. Cool idea, joe.
                                  Dan S.

                                • Jeff BAZ-man
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
                                    Addionally, we wouldn't have to wait a year of either the road name on
                                    a new release or, for a long "out of stock" backlog like SP.

                                    Considering that there are not all that many body styles, this sounds
                                    llike a great deal. By ordering a couple of different models, one can
                                    more easily create what they want or, get spare parts a reasonable
                                    price while freeing up that hassle to provide them (or deal with the
                                    requests) by MTL.

                                    Jeff
                                    SF Bay Area Z

                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                                    > > Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                                    >
                                    > I hope to have a custom painted "Portland & Western" engine in the
                                    next few
                                    > months. I need to get some good pictures of the engines running on
                                    TV
                                    > Highway. I'm planning on a train primarily hauling timber products.
                                    >
                                    > The best bet looks to be to use a GP35 for a GP39-2.
                                    >
                                    > For those not from this area, here is a page with pictures.
                                    > http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandWesternRR.html
                                    >
                                    > Zane

                                  • hobbycraftsnmore
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 7, 2007
                                      Hi
                                      Here my 2 cents. Just do as Pennzee does his undec cars. Trucks fully
                                      assembled with couplers but off the cars, The Cars apart and the
                                      blister pack turned upside down so if fits better in the case.

                                      Kevin
                                      Hobby Crafts N More
                                      http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com