Re: [Z_Scale] Re: MTL Packaging Options discussed.

  • Randall Smidt
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
      There's already a few people like Tim B's TnTz and Michael Hilliard and some others offering Z scale decals.

      Randy

      Joe DAmato <shipsure2003@...> wrote:
      Jim,

      Backlog meaning the time it takes to put these together now vs doing
      fully decorated cars. We have to push to the back of the line, these
      undecorated cars since the sales numbers are so small. If I can get
      these into Packaging and out of Assembly then we can start building
      up stocks and meet the back orders we have.

      Joe

      PS.. Decals are a good idea really, the right ones would increase the
      number of undecorated unit sales for sure.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Joe, I'm not sure what you mean by "our backlogs", but I'll give
      > this a try. I for one enjoy purchasing fully finished rolling
      stock.
      > I don't consider myself competent in the areas of decals and such.
      On
      > the other hand, many of us, I'm sure, would like the opportunity to
      > decal/paint our rolling stock anyway we want. So, I guess I vote
      yes
      > for unassembled cars. Does this open the way for a new small
      > business in Z scale decals? Or, will MTL offer this service?
      Cheers,
      > Jim CCRR
      >
      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in
      the
      > > regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or
      > inside
      > > the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it
      > only
      > > seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I
      came
      > up
      > > with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors
      and
      > > brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input
      so
      > > can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs.
      I'm
      > > thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up
      > again.
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > >
      > > Joe
      > > MTL

    • Zane H. Healy
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
        > Backlog meaning the time it takes to put these together now vs doing
        > fully decorated cars. We have to push to the back of the line, these
        > undecorated cars since the sales numbers are so small. If I can get
        > these into Packaging and out of Assembly then we can start building
        > up stocks and meet the back orders we have.

        Hi Joe,
        I think I'm dense today, I've been up for about 30 hours, so I suspect there
        is a reason. :^)

        Are you saying that if it is handled by the "Packaging" group, rather than
        the "Assembly" group this can happen sooner? While if it is done by the
        "Assembly" group we'd have to wait for everything already in the pipe to get
        done?

        > PS.. Decals are a good idea really, the right ones would increase the
        > number of undecorated unit sales for sure.

        Portland & Western gets my vote, but I'm sure that puts me in a minority! :^)

        Zane
      • Jim O'Connell
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
          Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR
        • Loren Snyder
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
            Well Joe, this won't come as any surprise to you since I know the inner
            workings of MTL fairly well, but your suggestion is a hands down winner all
            the way around.

            As we have talked many times in the past,........I and others are no doubt
            standing in line with money in fist just waiting for the undecs.

            Count me in for at least 50,000 as a start............:O)

            Well, at least a couple of dozen as you know some of my customers are
            currently cursing MTL for empty shelves.

            Loren

            PS. Ok all of you out there in Z land, you know how the squeaky wheel gets
            the oil. Now is the time to flood MTL with emails asking for this very item
            You know that many of us need undecs. Send them to Joe and he'll make
            sure the right folks see the emails.

            Ask not what Z can do for you, but ask what you can do for Z........ You
            can vote ""YES" on undecs.

            Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
            regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
            the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
            seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
            with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
            brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
            can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
            thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.

            Cheers

            Joe
            MTL

          • Alan Cox
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
              > regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
              > the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
              > seems obvious to approach this particular product this way.

              Works for me - on one condition. You don;t take the disassembled as far
              as the couplers. Trying to assemble microtrains couplers is almost enough
              to make you go back to Märklin ;)

              Alan
            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                Alan,
                I'm with you on the couplers......I've assembled a few and though it takes
                only a few minutes each.....I end up about a year older per coupler and with
                less hair.......arghhhhhh !!

                Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things together
                for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?
                Loren

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                  > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things together
                  > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?

                  I'd assumed MTL had a machine for it ?

                  Alan
                • Randall Smidt

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                      Joe,

                      Are you talking just box cars or will you be trying to provide undecs in
                      all the different car types?

                      Manfred

                      Joe DAmato wrote:

                      >Hi all,
                      >
                      >Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
                      >regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
                      >the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
                      >seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
                      >with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
                      >brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
                      >can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
                      >thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.
                      >
                      >Cheers
                      >
                      >Joe
                      >MTL
                      >

                      >Z-scale: minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!
                      >
                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Glen Chenier
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007

                        > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things
                        together
                        > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?

                        Let me guess...

                        They use binocular microscopes with deep eye relief?

                        They use the N/Z scale coupler assembly jig or maybe something even
                        better?

                        They use the "thread through the spring" trick?

                        Maybe they have a LOT of experience too!

                        And wanna bet that on occasion, just like most everybody else, even
                        they probably scream, cuss, and rant about blankety-blank dumb stupid
                        springs.... Sometimes a good cussing fit makes things work perfectly
                        on the next attempt. Why? Physcological or physical relief?
                      • Zane H. Healy
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                          > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things together
                          > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?
                          > Loren

                          I'm curious, are all the people doing the job really women? Reminds me of
                          the old days of computing when Core Plane memory (minature magentic donuts
                          on the cross-sections of a weave of fine wires that predate chips being used
                          for computer memory) were all made by women, because men couldn't do the
                          work.

                          Zane
                        • Zane H. Healy
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                            > Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                            I hope to have a custom painted "Portland & Western" engine in the next few
                            months. I need to get some good pictures of the engines running on TV
                            Highway. I'm planning on a train primarily hauling timber products.

                            The best bet looks to be to use a GP35 for a GP39-2.

                            For those not from this area, here is a page with pictures.
                            http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandWesternRR.html

                            Zane
                          • Loren Snyder
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                              You're probably right on all counts Glen. I've watched them for a while and
                              I shudder at the thought of doing that for a living.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                                Joe...
                                I'd be in the market for undecorated cars of all kinds.
                                DEWEY

                                Joe DAmato wrote:

                                >Hi all,
                                >
                                >Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
                                >regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
                                >the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
                                >seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
                                >with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
                                >brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
                                >can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
                                >thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.
                                >
                                >Cheers
                                >
                                >Joe
                                >MTL
                                >

                                >Z-scale: minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!
                                >
                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.
                              • John & Sue Bartolotto
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                                  Joe,

                                  Great idea, but without a even a decal manufacturer out there who has a
                                  decent selection of Z scale decals then I don't see this as a big seller,
                                  unless of course MTL is going to step up and start an aftermarket decal
                                  manufacturing section (hey, not a bad idea!).

                                  John

                                • FR.model@t-online.de
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                                    Joe,

                                    about one year ago I have released a bunch of about 50 boxcars
                                    of your #14100 series. The parts came bulk packed from your company.
                                    I made a special Old-Style "New York New Haven & Hartford Railroad"
                                    paint scheme pad printed to fit the cars to my old EY-3 NH electric.
                                    The jig to adjust the separate doors at the print machine was a great
                                    challenge ;o)

                                    We have had no problems with the assembly except the brake wheels.
                                    The Peacock brake wheel's shafts did not fit in the endwall's drill.
                                    We had to predrill all car bodies with a 0.5mm drill. This might
                                    be a problem for hobby modelers. Doing this "free hand" may break
                                    the drill easy. Drilling too fast would melt the plastic and may
                                    plug the drill's spiral and finally break it too.

                                    There were no problems with the separate door assemblies. Some
                                    customers
                                    asked the cars with your #907 Marklin style coupler. The center eye of
                                    these couplers was too small to fit to the car body's truck bolsters.

                                    I hope this helps

                                    Harald

                                  • Larry Donsbach
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                                      I think this a great Idea. It provides us cars that we can decorate
                                      ourselves at a lower cost and opens up a larger market for those decal
                                      makers that are now doing z decals.

                                      I have enjoyed the unpainted flat and bulkend cars and have often
                                      wondered if other cars were in the future.

                                      I know that you have always had many, many plans rolling around in you
                                      head as you once said "I have a lot of ideas that I have been thinking
                                      about but can't talk about them yet." I believe this happened at a BBQ
                                      following the Ft Worth World's Greatest Hobby Show.

                                      Hurray for those ideas.

                                      Larry Donsbach
                                      San Antonio
                                      www.zscaleinfo.com
                                    • dpstripe@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                                        Joe,
                                        I think that it is a very good idea. The availability of MT's undecorated
                                        rolling stock has always been a hit or miss kind of thing. Going straight from
                                        manufacturing/parts to packaging and bypassing production would streamline
                                        the process on MT's end as well as for the modeler. This could make the undec
                                        end of your business almost an "on demand" service. Cool idea, joe.
                                        Dan S.

                                      • Jeff BAZ-man
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
                                          Addionally, we wouldn't have to wait a year of either the road name on
                                          a new release or, for a long "out of stock" backlog like SP.

                                          Considering that there are not all that many body styles, this sounds
                                          llike a great deal. By ordering a couple of different models, one can
                                          more easily create what they want or, get spare parts a reasonable
                                          price while freeing up that hassle to provide them (or deal with the
                                          requests) by MTL.

                                          Jeff
                                          SF Bay Area Z

                                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                                          > > Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                                          >
                                          > I hope to have a custom painted "Portland & Western" engine in the
                                          next few
                                          > months. I need to get some good pictures of the engines running on
                                          TV
                                          > Highway. I'm planning on a train primarily hauling timber products.
                                          >
                                          > The best bet looks to be to use a GP35 for a GP39-2.
                                          >
                                          > For those not from this area, here is a page with pictures.
                                          > http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandWesternRR.html
                                          >
                                          > Zane

                                        • hobbycraftsnmore
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 7, 2007
                                            Hi
                                            Here my 2 cents. Just do as Pennzee does his undec cars. Trucks fully
                                            assembled with couplers but off the cars, The Cars apart and the
                                            blister pack turned upside down so if fits better in the case.

                                            Kevin
                                            Hobby Crafts N More
                                            http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com