MTL Packaging Options discussed.

  • Joe DAmato
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
      Hi all,

      Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
      regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
      the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
      seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
      with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
      brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
      can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
      thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.

      Cheers

      Joe
      MTL
    • Jim O'Connell
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
        Hi Joe, I'm not sure what you mean by "our backlogs", but I'll give
        this a try. I for one enjoy purchasing fully finished rolling stock.
        I don't consider myself competent in the areas of decals and such. On
        the other hand, many of us, I'm sure, would like the opportunity to
        decal/paint our rolling stock anyway we want. So, I guess I vote yes
        for unassembled cars. Does this open the way for a new small
        business in Z scale decals? Or, will MTL offer this service? Cheers,
        Jim CCRR

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
        > regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or
        inside
        > the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it
        only
        > seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came
        up
        > with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
        > brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so
        > can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
        > thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up
        again.

        > Cheers
        >
        > Joe
        > MTL

      • Joe DAmato
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
          Jim,

          Backlog meaning the time it takes to put these together now vs doing
          fully decorated cars. We have to push to the back of the line, these
          undecorated cars since the sales numbers are so small. If I can get
          these into Packaging and out of Assembly then we can start building
          up stocks and meet the back orders we have.

          Joe

          PS.. Decals are a good idea really, the right ones would increase the
          number of undecorated unit sales for sure.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Joe, I'm not sure what you mean by "our backlogs", but I'll give
          > this a try. I for one enjoy purchasing fully finished rolling
          stock.
          > I don't consider myself competent in the areas of decals and such.
          On
          > the other hand, many of us, I'm sure, would like the opportunity to
          > decal/paint our rolling stock anyway we want. So, I guess I vote
          yes
          > for unassembled cars. Does this open the way for a new small
          > business in Z scale decals? Or, will MTL offer this service?
          Cheers,
          > Jim CCRR
          >
          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in
          the
          > > regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or
          > inside
          > > the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it
          > only
          > > seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I
          came
          > up
          > > with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors
          and
          > > brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input
          so
          > > can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs.
          I'm
          > > thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up
          > again.
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Joe
          > > MTL

        • Randall Smidt
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
            There's already a few people like Tim B's TnTz and Michael Hilliard and some others offering Z scale decals.

            Randy

            wrote:

            > Hi Joe, I'm not sure what you mean by "our backlogs", but I'll give
            > this a try. I for one enjoy purchasing fully finished rolling
            stock.
            > I don't consider myself competent in the areas of decals and such.
            On
            > the other hand, many of us, I'm sure, would like the opportunity to
            > decal/paint our rolling stock anyway we want. So, I guess I vote
            yes
            > for unassembled cars. Does this open the way for a new small
            > business in Z scale decals? Or, will MTL offer this service?
            Cheers,
            > Jim CCRR
            >
            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in
            the
            > > regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or
            > inside
            > > the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it
            > only
            > > seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I
            came
            > up
            > > with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors
            and
            > > brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input
            so
            > > can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs.
            I'm
            > > thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up
            > again.
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > Joe
            > > MTL

          • Zane H. Healy
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
              > Backlog meaning the time it takes to put these together now vs doing
              > fully decorated cars. We have to push to the back of the line, these
              > undecorated cars since the sales numbers are so small. If I can get
              > these into Packaging and out of Assembly then we can start building
              > up stocks and meet the back orders we have.

              Hi Joe,
              I think I'm dense today, I've been up for about 30 hours, so I suspect there
              is a reason. :^)

              Are you saying that if it is handled by the "Packaging" group, rather than
              the "Assembly" group this can happen sooner? While if it is done by the
              "Assembly" group we'd have to wait for everything already in the pipe to get
              done?

              > PS.. Decals are a good idea really, the right ones would increase the
              > number of undecorated unit sales for sure.

              Portland & Western gets my vote, but I'm sure that puts me in a minority! :^)

              Zane
            • Jim O'Connell
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR
              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Well Joe, this won't come as any surprise to you since I know the inner
                  workings of MTL fairly well, but your suggestion is a hands down winner all
                  the way around.

                  As we have talked many times in the past,........I and others are no doubt
                  standing in line with money in fist just waiting for the undecs.

                  Count me in for at least 50,000 as a start............:O)

                  Well, at least a couple of dozen as you know some of my customers are
                  currently cursing MTL for empty shelves.

                  Loren

                  PS. Ok all of you out there in Z land, you know how the squeaky wheel gets
                  the oil. Now is the time to flood MTL with emails asking for this very item
                  You know that many of us need undecs. Send them to Joe and he'll make
                  sure the right folks see the emails.

                  Ask not what Z can do for you, but ask what you can do for Z........ You
                  can vote ""YES" on undecs.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                    > regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
                    > the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
                    > seems obvious to approach this particular product this way.

                    Works for me - on one condition. You don;t take the disassembled as far
                    as the couplers. Trying to assemble microtrains couplers is almost enough
                    to make you go back to Märklin ;)

                    Alan
                  • Loren Snyder
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                      Alan,
                      I'm with you on the couplers......I've assembled a few and though it takes
                      only a few minutes each.....I end up about a year older per coupler and with
                      less hair.......arghhhhhh !!

                      Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things together
                      for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?
                      Loren

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                        > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things together
                        > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?

                        I'd assumed MTL had a machine for it ?

                        Alan
                      • Randall Smidt

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                            Joe,

                            Are you talking just box cars or will you be trying to provide undecs in
                            all the different car types?

                            Manfred

                            Joe DAmato wrote:

                            >Hi all,
                            >
                            >Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
                            >regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
                            >the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
                            >seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
                            >with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
                            >brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
                            >can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
                            >thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.
                            >
                            >Cheers
                            >
                            >Joe
                            >MTL
                            >

                            >Z-scale: minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!
                            >
                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Glen Chenier
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007

                              > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things
                              together
                              > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?

                              Let me guess...

                              They use binocular microscopes with deep eye relief?

                              They use the N/Z scale coupler assembly jig or maybe something even
                              better?

                              They use the "thread through the spring" trick?

                              Maybe they have a LOT of experience too!

                              And wanna bet that on occasion, just like most everybody else, even
                              they probably scream, cuss, and rant about blankety-blank dumb stupid
                              springs.... Sometimes a good cussing fit makes things work perfectly
                              on the next attempt. Why? Physcological or physical relief?
                            • Zane H. Healy
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                                > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things together
                                > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?
                                > Loren

                                I'm curious, are all the people doing the job really women? Reminds me of
                                the old days of computing when Core Plane memory (minature magentic donuts
                                on the cross-sections of a weave of fine wires that predate chips being used
                                for computer memory) were all made by women, because men couldn't do the
                                work.

                                Zane
                              • Zane H. Healy
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                                  > Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                                  I hope to have a custom painted "Portland & Western" engine in the next few
                                  months. I need to get some good pictures of the engines running on TV
                                  Highway. I'm planning on a train primarily hauling timber products.

                                  The best bet looks to be to use a GP35 for a GP39-2.

                                  For those not from this area, here is a page with pictures.
                                  http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandWesternRR.html

                                  Zane
                                • Loren Snyder
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                                    You're probably right on all counts Glen. I've watched them for a while and
                                    I shudder at the thought of doing that for a living.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                                      Joe...
                                      I'd be in the market for undecorated cars of all kinds.
                                      DEWEY

                                      Joe DAmato wrote:

                                      >Hi all,
                                      >
                                      >Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
                                      >regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
                                      >the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
                                      >seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
                                      >with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
                                      >brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
                                      >can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
                                      >thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.
                                      >
                                      >Cheers
                                      >
                                      >Joe
                                      >MTL
                                      >

                                      >Z-scale: minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!
                                      >
                                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.
                                    • John & Sue Bartolotto
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                                        Joe,

                                        Great idea, but without a even a decal manufacturer out there who has a
                                        decent selection of Z scale decals then I don't see this as a big seller,
                                        unless of course MTL is going to step up and start an aftermarket decal
                                        manufacturing section (hey, not a bad idea!).

                                        John

                                      • FR.model@t-online.de
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                                          Joe,

                                          about one year ago I have released a bunch of about 50 boxcars
                                          of your #14100 series. The parts came bulk packed from your company.
                                          I made a special Old-Style "New York New Haven & Hartford Railroad"
                                          paint scheme pad printed to fit the cars to my old EY-3 NH electric.
                                          The jig to adjust the separate doors at the print machine was a great
                                          challenge ;o)

                                          We have had no problems with the assembly except the brake wheels.
                                          The Peacock brake wheel's shafts did not fit in the endwall's drill.
                                          We had to predrill all car bodies with a 0.5mm drill. This might
                                          be a problem for hobby modelers. Doing this "free hand" may break
                                          the drill easy. Drilling too fast would melt the plastic and may
                                          plug the drill's spiral and finally break it too.

                                          There were no problems with the separate door assemblies. Some
                                          customers
                                          asked the cars with your #907 Marklin style coupler. The center eye of
                                          these couplers was too small to fit to the car body's truck bolsters.

                                          I hope this helps

                                          Harald

                                        • Larry Donsbach
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                                            I think this a great Idea. It provides us cars that we can decorate
                                            ourselves at a lower cost and opens up a larger market for those decal
                                            makers that are now doing z decals.

                                            I have enjoyed the unpainted flat and bulkend cars and have often
                                            wondered if other cars were in the future.

                                            I know that you have always had many, many plans rolling around in you
                                            head as you once said "I have a lot of ideas that I have been thinking
                                            about but can't talk about them yet." I believe this happened at a BBQ
                                            following the Ft Worth World's Greatest Hobby Show.

                                            Hurray for those ideas.

                                            Larry Donsbach
                                            San Antonio
                                            www.zscaleinfo.com
                                          • dpstripe@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                                              Joe,
                                              I think that it is a very good idea. The availability of MT's undecorated
                                              rolling stock has always been a hit or miss kind of thing. Going straight from
                                              manufacturing/parts to packaging and bypassing production would streamline
                                              the process on MT's end as well as for the modeler. This could make the undec
                                              end of your business almost an "on demand" service. Cool idea, joe.
                                              Dan S.

                                            • Jeff BAZ-man
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
                                                Addionally, we wouldn't have to wait a year of either the road name on
                                                a new release or, for a long "out of stock" backlog like SP.

                                                Considering that there are not all that many body styles, this sounds
                                                llike a great deal. By ordering a couple of different models, one can
                                                more easily create what they want or, get spare parts a reasonable
                                                price while freeing up that hassle to provide them (or deal with the
                                                requests) by MTL.

                                                Jeff
                                                SF Bay Area Z

                                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                                                > > Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                                                >
                                                > I hope to have a custom painted "Portland & Western" engine in the
                                                next few
                                                > months. I need to get some good pictures of the engines running on
                                                TV
                                                > Highway. I'm planning on a train primarily hauling timber products.
                                                >
                                                > The best bet looks to be to use a GP35 for a GP39-2.
                                                >
                                                > For those not from this area, here is a page with pictures.
                                                > http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandWesternRR.html
                                                >
                                                > Zane

                                              • hobbycraftsnmore
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 7, 2007
                                                  Hi
                                                  Here my 2 cents. Just do as Pennzee does his undec cars. Trucks fully
                                                  assembled with couplers but off the cars, The Cars apart and the
                                                  blister pack turned upside down so if fits better in the case.

                                                  Kevin
                                                  Hobby Crafts N More
                                                  http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com