GROUND THROW- #1045 Micron Art

  • Ysbrand van der Veen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29 5:42 AM
      Hello,

      Has anybody in this group installed Micron Art's ground throws on Peter
      Wrights turnouts? Do I need a separate power routing switch, I probably
      do, and if so, how can I couple this switch with the ground throw from
      Micron Art to avoid having to operate both the power switch and the
      ground throw seperately?

      Prototypical for the US siding I'm modelling on my modules is to use
      manual ground throws on both sides of the siding. Besides this, I love
      the idea of manual operation of the turnouts. Nice for the public at
      shows too, I think.

      Best,
      Ysbrand
    • Jeff BAZ-man
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29 6:21 PM
        They look cool but, you have a lot of work to put these together
        and, you have to move the knurled gears quite a bit to change the
        turn out. There are no electrical connections on the switch stand.

        Many are using the Blue Point manual throw, remotely mounted and
        driven by a cable (e.g. bicycle brake/shift). There are
        modifications that allow you to use a simple slide switch which also
        limits the Push/Pull so you don't damage the turnout. Some use a
        motorized Tortoise or Hoffmanns (I don't recommend the Hoffmans as
        they do not have an adjustment for the throw and they move too far,
        even with a "Z" bend wire to releave the tension).

        Yes, you do need to do some power routinging. Since it is an
        electro-frog, you need to make sure your trains do not run into the
        points (frog to points direction) or you will short the power.
        10Watts or more. Peter has supplied them gapped at the frog but I
        talked him out of this so you can easily gap them where you connect
        to the exit rails (use typical Marklin insulator or any Code 55
        insulator [Peco, Atlas, Miller Engineering, etc.])

        Jeff
        SF Bay Area Z

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ysbrand van der Veen"
        <y.m.vanderveen@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Has anybody in this group installed Micron Art's ground throws on
        Peter
        > Wrights turnouts? Do I need a separate power routing switch, I
        probably
        > do, and if so, how can I couple this switch with the ground throw
        from
        > Micron Art to avoid having to operate both the power switch and
        the
        > ground throw seperately?
        >
        > Prototypical for the US siding I'm modelling on my modules is to
        use
        > manual ground throws on both sides of the siding. Besides this, I
        love
        > the idea of manual operation of the turnouts. Nice for the public
        at
        > shows too, I think.
        >
        > Best,
        > Ysbrand

      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29 10:03 PM
          Hello Jeff,
          I have a customer who replaces the .047" dia X .12" long
          center-post of the Archimedean with .047" dia X 1.125" long tube or
          solid rod.
          He then adds a 1" long X .062" dia tube to this assembly to
          make a strong armature for his servo motors. He is
          using a model airplane multi channel controller that activates his servo
          motor linkages to drive (throw) the Archimedean Ground Throws
          whenever with his transmitter (that looks like a TV remote).

          Perhaps we'll do an article for ZTrack Magazine that details
          this setup more clearly than I can in this brief summation.

          The #1045 works quite well. All brass kits take time to build.
          But they look more to scale than most of the cheap stuff
          out there.

          Thanks for your attention,
          R. Wellman
          http://www.micronart.com
          On Oct 29, 2007, at 6:21 PM, Jeff BAZ-man wrote:

          > They look cool but, you have a lot of work to put these together
          > and, you have to move the knurled gears quite a bit to change the
          > turn out. There are no electrical connections on the switch stand.
          >
          > Many are using the Blue Point manual throw, remotely mounted and
          > driven by a cable (e.g. bicycle brake/shift). There are
          > modifications that allow you to use a simple slide switch which also
          > limits the Push/Pull so you don't damage the turnout. Some use a
          > motorized Tortoise or Hoffmanns (I don't recommend the Hoffmans as
          > they do not have an adjustment for the throw and they move too far,
          > even with a "Z" bend wire to releave the tension).
          >
          > Yes, you do need to do some power routinging. Since it is an
          > electro-frog, you need to make sure your trains do not run into the
          > points (frog to points direction) or you will short the power.
          > 10Watts or more. Peter has supplied them gapped at the frog but I
          > talked him out of this so you can easily gap them where you connect
          > to the exit rails (use typical Marklin insulator or any Code 55
          > insulator [Peco, Atlas, Miller Engineering, etc.])
          >
          > Jeff
          > SF Bay Area Z
          >
          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ysbrand van der Veen"
          > <y.m.vanderveen@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > Has anybody in this group installed Micron Art's ground throws on
          > Peter
          > > Wrights turnouts? Do I need a separate power routing switch, I
          > probably
          > > do, and if so, how can I couple this switch with the ground throw
          > from
          > > Micron Art to avoid having to operate both the power switch and
          > the
          > > ground throw seperately?
          > >
          > > Prototypical for the US siding I'm modelling on my modules is to
          > use
          > > manual ground throws on both sides of the siding. Besides this, I
          > love
          > > the idea of manual operation of the turnouts. Nice for the public
          > at
          > > shows too, I think.
          > >
          > > Best,
          > > Ysbrand

        • Jeff BAZ-man
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31 10:50 PM
            Hey ! That's a clever solution ! Definitely need to put it on the
            website or something.

            Still, he needs a way to control the turnout. So the choices are:
            manually rotate the Archemdian, modify it and add a motor, use a
            remote cable (with knob, lever or Blue Point) or Tortoise.

            Jeff
            SF Bay Area Z