Re: Micro Trains couplers

  • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 7, 1999
      Ole:

      > I think it is GREAT that you - without hesitation - take your time to
      > - in a meticulous way - to explain to us newbies how to do things and
      > thereby profit from your immense experience with small trains (N and
      > Z).

      Only about 10% of the world's hobbiests know anything about Z scale. I think
      it is the obligation of the first 10% to bring the next 10% on board.
      Besides, its fun taking about all our mistakes, *now*. At the time they
      occured, we were crying. Its only now that we can laugh at ourselves.

      > I'm printing all of your contributions and keep them in a binder
      > labelled: "Houston - I've got a problem here" :-)

      <smile> Gosh. Now you have 10% of me blushing again.

      > The same can be said about Glenn and Sandy Stiska. They too, are
      > allways ready to come to the rescue with good and detailed advice!

      Ah Ha. Now you are taking about the 90% folks in life. Yup. I found them
      too. I have three phone numbers (90% folks) marked on the wall above the
      telephone, for the times when the 90% of me that is still dumber than a rock
      needs help.

      > BTW: We havent seen much of them lately - or is it just me sitting
      > here at the end of a - as it seems - not very reliable server-chain?

      Not to worry. The 90% folks tend to respond off-list. I'd like to encourage
      them to respond on-list more often. How else will I ever get to the 11%
      knowledge level.

      Bill Kronenberger
      Houston
    • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.x.xxxxx)
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 7, 1999
        Dear Jeffrey,

        I agree with Bill, you made a very good remark.

        I feel, we may have to look at the dimensions of the cars from Maerklin and the
        cars from MTL.

        I think, the distance between the outermost axle and the end of the car of a
        Maerklin car is longer than the relevant distance at a MTL car. So, the distance
        between cars using Maerklin cars with Maerklin couplings and using MTL cars with
        MTL couplings is about the same. They do fit the relevant system.
        If you mix you may get problems. i.e. uncoupling in curves.

        Jeffrey MacHan schrieb:
        > From: "Jeffrey MacHan" <jmac_han@...>
        >
        > Hi all,
        >
        > One more reason not to convert to MT's:
        >
        > I have found that the original M�rklin couplers bring passenger cars closer
        > together than MTs. I tried the conversions on a couple of cars and then
        > finally only kept them on one end of the baggage car to uncouple from the
        > motive power and on the end of the saloon-observation car to allow switching
        > and to maintain the illusion that all cars had MTs.
        >
        > I also found that MTs between coaches tended to uncouple occasionally on
        > curves probably due to the longer carbodies and the truck lengths.
        >
        > However I have them on all my locomotives (which are of course US
        > prototype).
        >
        > Jeffrey MacHan
        >
        > >Manfred:
        > >
        > > > The MT couplers look like the US couplers, so if you are modeling a US
        > > > system then they will fit right in, But if you model European rail then
        > > > they will not look right. Of course they are a little bit smaller then
        > > > the M couplers, but not enough to go to the extra cost of replacing all
        > > > your couplers.
        > >
        > >Excellent point. You put a great point-of-view balance into this
        > >discussion.
        > >
        > >Bill Kronenberger
        > >Houston

        > >Small iZ Beautiful!
        > >
        > ><< text3.html >>
        >
        > > Small iZ Beautiful!

        Dieter W. Nolte
        E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
      • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.x.xxxxx)
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 7, 1999
          Howdy Bill,

          your answers are hitting right the bulls eye! Thank you.

          Now I know how to deal with this problem.

          If 'black ice' counts as snow, you may have to do the 4 degree cut soon!

          Well, I do like to go back to Houston (or Dallas). But, please no wild bull for
          me. I do not like to endanger the clowns!!
          And we do have even honey roasted baby back spare rips, gumbo and faijitas here
          in Germany. But (thanks heaven) no root beer, my worst experience in USA!
          And I shook hands with Tom Landry! My son pushed me to do so.

          The punishment of engineers having parted a train, I am able to understand.
          There is a nice computer program on the market, showing the difficult task of an
          engineer. How often I have derailed or parted an US-American train at the PC!
          Years I most probably had to do a retraining to get back my licence.

          Greetings and Howdy

          Dieter

          Dieter W. Nolte
          E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...