Made in China?!

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6, 2007
      Did I miss some thing?
      When did Marklin switch to manufacturing in China?

      I just received my #88053, 2007 Insider Loco, from an authorized
      Marklin retailer. I paid over $300.00 for this loco.

      Much to my surprise... I find a sticker on the box that states "Made in
      China"!
    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 6, 2007
        On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:14:24 -0000
        "Alex" <butasama@...> wrote:

        > Did I miss some thing?
        > When did Marklin switch to manufacturing in China?

        Starting 2002 or there abouts for some products.

        http://www.ztrains.com/pages/ancillary/china.html
      • Bob Knee
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 6, 2007
          There have been various postings about Marlin Z items being made in China.

          I suggest this really shouldn't worry anyone, as other manufacturers have both improved their products and kept the prices relatively low as a result, e.g. Bachmann & Hornby.

          However, Marklin seems determined to keep its prices high, as if reflecting higher manufacturing costs in Germany. So, if they are reducing costs but still charging high prices then they do not deserve to get away with it.

          I source all my Marklin Z items from ebay and get them for about half Marklin's retail price, or less even.

          Bob

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 6, 2007
            I do not understand WHY anyone would purchase from stores or internet
            websites, when you can get everything on EBAY?
            Ebay is the Wal Mart of reatil on the internet.
            Bob glad your remember ebay the place to go form everything, I see
            ebay putting in a singles dating service next.
            Aaron Poscovsky

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2007
              On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 15:59:02 -0000
              "non" <aposcovsky@...> wrote:

              > I do not understand WHY anyone would purchase from stores or internet
              > websites, when you can get everything on EBAY?

              I find it depends a *lot* on the seller. The good real commercial sellers
              are great but there is a lot of "hey its cheap if it works, and tough if
              it doesn't" stuff out there.

              I'm increasingly finding its a good opportunity to buy stuff direct from
              China/HK through ebay tho - stuff that doesn't have relevant warranties
              etc at least.

              That said there are some vendors who standards of service and handling of
              warranty failures as well as knowledge are worth the extra, every time.

              Alan
            • Karin Snyder
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 6, 2007
                "non" <aposcovsky@...> wrote:

                "I do not understand WHY anyone would purchase from stores or internet
                websites, when you can get everything on EBAY?"

                Aaron, I was just telling Loren the other day how I thought you had a
                very attractive and orderly website. I hope you do well with it, truly.

                But I must take you to task on your ebay comments. I have bought many
                wonderful Z items (even from guys on this forum who also sell there)
                and non train items as well. Once in awhile I feel like I didn't get
                the deal I had hoped but for the most part it has been good to me as a
                buyer and a seller. I've had a store on there for over 3 years at a
                fraction of the cost a site like yours would cost me and with a 1,000
                times the exposure for my products. I recently took it upon myself and
                started Loren's ebay store, "Z Train Things", out of sheer need to move
                his inventory to make room for his new family... us! The store is
                doing very well and I thank God above for that. So, please be easy on
                those of us who take ebay very seriously and don't share your disdain
                for it?

                As for your last comment "I see ebay putting in a singles dating
                service next." ... that might work; I met and married the most
                wonderful male Z scaler in the world (my biased opinion of course!) and
                it is ALL because I bought Z scale flex track from him on ebay 3 years
                ago, and so I found HIM on ebay. For this I am truly thankful to God
                as well.

                Thank you for letting me speak my heart,
                Mrs. Karin Snyder
              • Thomas Creighton Sr

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 7, 2007
                    Hey Karin,

                    The only problem, you forgot to get the extended warrenty on Loren,
                    or the Undercoating...a few cents up front guarantees performance for
                    years to come :o)

                    Cheers

                    Joe

                    .--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin Snyder" <karin@...> wrote:

                    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 15:59:02 -0000
                    > "non" <aposcovsky@> wrote:
                    >
                    > "I do not understand WHY anyone would purchase from stores or
                    internet
                    > websites, when you can get everything on EBAY?"
                    >
                    > Aaron, I was just telling Loren the other day how I thought you had
                    > very attractive and orderly website. I hope you do well with it,
                    truly.

                    > But I must take you to task on your ebay comments. I have bought
                    many
                    > wonderful Z items (even from guys on this forum who also sell
                    there)
                    > and non train items as well. Once in awhile I feel like I didn't
                    get
                    > the deal I had hoped but for the most part it has been good to me
                    as a
                    > buyer and a seller. I've had a store on there for over 3 years at
                    > fraction of the cost a site like yours would cost me and with a
                    1,000
                    > times the exposure for my products. I recently took it upon myself
                    and
                    > started Loren's ebay store, "Z Train Things", out of sheer need to
                    move
                    > his inventory to make room for his new family... us! The store is
                    > doing very well and I thank God above for that. So, please be easy
                    on
                    > those of us who take ebay very seriously and don't share your
                    disdain
                    > for it?
                    >
                    > As for your last comment "I see ebay putting in a singles dating
                    > service next." ... that might work; I met and married the most
                    > wonderful male Z scaler in the world (my biased opinion of course!)
                    and
                    > it is ALL because I bought Z scale flex track from him on ebay 3
                    years
                    > ago, and so I found HIM on ebay. For this I am truly thankful to
                    God
                    > as well.
                    >
                    > Thank you for letting me speak my heart,
                    > Mrs. Karin Snyder

                  • Loren Snyder
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 7, 2007
                      Joe,
                      Are you saying that I squeak ?

                      See you in an hour,
                      Loren

                      The only problem, you forgot to get the extended warrenty on Loren,
                      or the Undercoating...a few cents up front guarantees performance for
                      years to come :o)

                      Cheers

                      Joe

                      ..--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin Snyder" <karin@...> wrote:

                      > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 15:59:02 -0000
                      > "non" <aposcovsky@> wrote:
                      >
                      > "I do not understand WHY anyone would purchase from stores or
                      internet
                      > websites, when you can get everything on EBAY?"
                      >
                      > Aaron, I was just telling Loren the other day how I thought you had
                      > very attractive and orderly website. I hope you do well with it,
                      truly.

                      > But I must take you to task on your ebay comments. I have bought
                      many
                      > wonderful Z items (even from guys on this forum who also sell
                      there)
                      > and non train items as well. Once in awhile I feel like I didn't
                      get
                      > the deal I had hoped but for the most part it has been good to me
                      as a
                      > buyer and a seller. I've had a store on there for over 3 years at
                      > fraction of the cost a site like yours would cost me and with a
                      1,000
                      > times the exposure for my products. I recently took it upon myself
                      and
                      > started Loren's ebay store, "Z Train Things", out of sheer need to
                      move
                      > his inventory to make room for his new family... us! The store is
                      > doing very well and I thank God above for that. So, please be easy
                      on
                      > those of us who take ebay very seriously and don't share your
                      disdain
                      > for it?
                      >
                      > As for your last comment "I see ebay putting in a singles dating
                      > service next." ... that might work; I met and married the most
                      > wonderful male Z scaler in the world (my biased opinion of course!)
                      and
                      > it is ALL because I bought Z scale flex track from him on ebay 3
                      years
                      > ago, and so I found HIM on ebay. For this I am truly thankful to
                      God
                      > as well.
                      >
                      > Thank you for letting me speak my heart,
                      > Mrs. Karin Snyder

                    • Robert Toole