Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Shrinking perceptions

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
      > shrink) to the same relative size in the modeler's mind. I forget what he called
      > this phenomenon, but he is right...after working with Z scale for a while, it
      > seems to be bigger then its actual size.

      Never had that happen I must confess - but I work some weekends on full
      size ones which tends to remind you quite forcibly that they are large
      (even in the UK where they are smaller than US)

      (Its also odd - you spend the week putting dirt and weeds on models and
      the weekend removing dirt and weeds for real ones)

      Alan
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2007
        > ...but that when the modeler worked with
        > one scale exclusive to
        > others, the rolling stock, regardless of its actual
        > size, seemed to grow (or
        > shrink) to the same relative size in the modeler's
        > mind. I forget what he called
        > this phenomenon, but he is right...after working
        > with Z scale for a while, it
        > seems to be bigger then its actual size.

        I do agree: my Z scale trains have the right size in
        my mind, all others scales seem to be oversized (and I
        make the same - but opposite - parallel for my king
        size female dog - she's a Leonberg - she looks like
        she is the right size, and all others, even labradors
        or golden retrievers seem ridiculously too
        small....<wink>)

        Dom

      • Slvanus Apps
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
          If you want a real surprise, check out the latest Freudenreich release, the 22 foot wooden ore cars, they look tiny even compared to other Z scale cars, especially the Full Throttle centerflow cars or the Gundersons or the 50 foot boxcars
          Robert <airforce_loadmaster@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 08:40:28 -0000
          > "flyerbait" <flyerbait@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Had a start today, i have not been to a hobby shop for a few
          months,
          > > just working on my own z scale stuff. Anyways walked into one of
          the
          > > local stores and saw all the latest N scale equipment that they
          had on
          > > display, and all of it looked very over sized! My eyes have
          developed
          > > a case of the Z's. even H.O looks enormous!
          >
          > Thats why its called HO
          >
          > H.O. -> Horribly Oversized ;)
          >
          > Alan

          Alan,

          My wife calls my Z scale models "TWEEZER TRAINS"

          Robert