Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Shrinking perceptions

  • MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
      ...and I've been told that if I water my Z scale trains, they will grow.

      Early in 1953, George Allen pointed out in the first of his "Tuxedo Junction"
      series in Model Railroader, that an HO car looked small next to an S or O
      car, and big next to a TT car [TT was the smallest commercially available scale
      at that time], but that when the modeler worked with one scale exclusive to
      others, the rolling stock, regardless of its actual size, seemed to grow (or
      shrink) to the same relative size in the modeler's mind. I forget what he called
      this phenomenon, but he is right...after working with Z scale for a while, it
      seems to be bigger then its actual size.

      John C. La Rue, Jr.
      bonita Springs, FL

    • Michael Duggan
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
        Too true John! I've primarily been an HO scale modeler. Over the past year or so I've started working in Z exclusively. Now I'm thinking of getting out some HO stuff to work on and I'm tempted to try all sorts of things that I'd never have tried before working in Z.

        Michael Duggan
        http://www.pawofabear.com

        -text cut-
        but that when the modeler worked with one scale exclusive to

        others, the rolling stock, regardless of its actual size, seemed to grow (or

        shrink) to the same relative size in the modeler's mind. I forget what he called

        this phenomenon, but he is right...after working with Z scale for a while, it

        seems to be bigger then its actual size.

        John C. La Rue, Jr.

        bonita Springs, FL

        .

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
          > shrink) to the same relative size in the modeler's mind. I forget what he called
          > this phenomenon, but he is right...after working with Z scale for a while, it
          > seems to be bigger then its actual size.

          Never had that happen I must confess - but I work some weekends on full
          size ones which tends to remind you quite forcibly that they are large
          (even in the UK where they are smaller than US)

          (Its also odd - you spend the week putting dirt and weeds on models and
          the weekend removing dirt and weeds for real ones)

          Alan
        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2007
            > ...but that when the modeler worked with
            > one scale exclusive to
            > others, the rolling stock, regardless of its actual
            > size, seemed to grow (or
            > shrink) to the same relative size in the modeler's
            > mind. I forget what he called
            > this phenomenon, but he is right...after working
            > with Z scale for a while, it
            > seems to be bigger then its actual size.

            I do agree: my Z scale trains have the right size in
            my mind, all others scales seem to be oversized (and I
            make the same - but opposite - parallel for my king
            size female dog - she's a Leonberg - she looks like
            she is the right size, and all others, even labradors
            or golden retrievers seem ridiculously too
            small....<wink>)

            Dom

          • Slvanus Apps
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
              If you want a real surprise, check out the latest Freudenreich release, the 22 foot wooden ore cars, they look tiny even compared to other Z scale cars, especially the Full Throttle centerflow cars or the Gundersons or the 50 foot boxcars
              Robert <airforce_loadmaster@...> wrote:

              > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 08:40:28 -0000
              > "flyerbait" <flyerbait@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Had a start today, i have not been to a hobby shop for a few
              months,
              > > just working on my own z scale stuff. Anyways walked into one of
              the
              > > local stores and saw all the latest N scale equipment that they
              had on
              > > display, and all of it looked very over sized! My eyes have
              developed
              > > a case of the Z's. even H.O looks enormous!
              >
              > Thats why its called HO
              >
              > H.O. -> Horribly Oversized ;)
              >
              > Alan

              Alan,

              My wife calls my Z scale models "TWEEZER TRAINS"

              Robert