Make your own decals using your inkjet printer

  • charlotte Gaisford
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
      I don't know if anyone here has tried making their own decals but you
      can now use your inkjet and laser printer. Is is a very cost effective
      method and much cheaper than having them custom made. Each sheet cost
      about £1.55 for and A4 sized sheet. If you have a look at the site you
      will see a step-by-step method of how to use them. the example shown
      shows a candle being decorated but the inkjet decal paper can be used
      on any hard surface. There is also a dry rub off transfer version too.

      http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/pages.asp?purl=decals%20how%20to%
      201

      Thank you
      Charlotte
    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
        On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:23:18 -0000
        "charlotte Gaisford" <Tcgaisford@...> wrote:

        > I don't know if anyone here has tried making their own decals but you
        > can now use your inkjet and laser printer.

        You might also want to look at lasertran if you are trying to do inkjet as
        their paper avoids the whole spraying with varnish business.

        The big problem I find however is that with the exception of some obscure
        (discontinued) ALPS printers you can't really print white. So you can
        either print decals with white background (and try to colour match), or
        decals with clear background that really need to go onto a white or near
        white surface.

        The tnt-z container decals appear to be printed this way, and I've got
        other N scale stock which has been done by that method.

        Alan
      • n_2_z_scale
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
          There are many ways to make decals now-a-days. The most expensive
          being having custom silkscreen decals made. The next best option is
          using the ALPS MD100 or ALPS MD5000 printers to make them. ALPS
          made several more types of printers but these two in particular were
          made to print using white.

          The next option available is using inkjet or laser printers to print
          decals onto clear or white decal paper. For most applications this
          is the cheapest and best way to go unless part of your decal has a
          need for the color white, or some of the colors you are printing
          need a white background to make the color stand out. Like printing
          green or red on clear decal paper and putting the decal on a brown
          boxcar. You need a white background printed behind the red or green
          to make them stand out. But if what you are decaling is already
          white, then colors will all be bright. This is where inkjet and
          laser printed decals will work best.

          I have seen several different companies offering different ways to
          print decals. Some are ok and some are time consuming. I use a
          ALPS MD1000 printer for my decals. Cost about $500 to get a printer
          some cartridges and some decal paper. It's enough to get started.

          If I had the equipment I would prefer to make silkscreen decals like
          Microscale makes. Now that is a decal!

          N2Z
        • Ysbrand van der Veen
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2007
            Hello,

            Has anyone ever tried this (see quote from website underneath) ?
            http://www.mcgpaper.com/modeldecals.html
            Sounds nice, but creating a graphical background color that matches you loco or
            car will be tricky if you ask me.

            Best,
            Ysbrand

            FROM Website: http://www.mcgpaper.com/modeldecals.html

            Color inkjet printers will not print white. For this reason we created White
            Decal Paper
            To make white decal paper we put a white pigment into the water slide decal
            film.
            To print white letters and numbers or to print graphics which have white areas:

            Create a block (rectangle).

            Color or fill the block the same color as the color of the surface on to which
            you will be placing the decal.
            You can also scan your fill color - i.e. scan your wood grain and use it as your
            fill, background color.

            Type the words on top of the colored block

            Make the words white on the screen

            If you are drawing a graphic place it on top of the colored block.

            Print on white decal inkjet decal paper.

            After printing your decal cut out your image area

            Coat your decal allow to dry.

            When you slide the decal onto the surface the colored border will blend into the
            color of the surface appearing like a small shadow.
          • Alan Cox
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2007
              On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 11:22:01 +0200
              "Ysbrand van der Veen" <y.m.vanderveen@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > Has anyone ever tried this (see quote from website underneath) ?
              > http://www.mcgpaper.com/modeldecals.html
              > Sounds nice, but creating a graphical background color that matches you loco or
              > car will be tricky if you ask me.

              I've seen it done with some success in certain cases (normally dark
              shades) and weathering. Sometimes you can just magically get away with it
              however. One way is doing the whole side as a decal onto white paint -
              which works well for things like the sides of trucks, or for signs. Also
              sometimes stock just happens to be a useful colour - eg UK railway
              coaches were blue with a white stripe around the windows. So for Z you
              paint the whole coach side (except the windows themselves!) white and put
              two blue and transparent decals on it above and below them.

              Even with a white background some colours (notably bright yellows) are
              very problematic.

              One decal vendor here (UK) - electra railway graphics - also has some kind
              of printing setup that can print white on clear decals and ships decals in
              two sheets, a white and clear one as a base and a second one you align
              over the top which has the colours on clear.

              Alan