Shrinking perceptions

  • flyerbait
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
      Had a start today, i have not been to a hobby shop for a few months,
      just working on my own z scale stuff. Anyways walked into one of the
      local stores and saw all the latest N scale equipment that they had on
      display, and all of it looked very over sized! My eyes have developed
      a case of the Z's. even H.O looks enormous!

      Leigh
    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
        On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 08:40:28 -0000
        "flyerbait" <flyerbait@...> wrote:

        > Had a start today, i have not been to a hobby shop for a few months,
        > just working on my own z scale stuff. Anyways walked into one of the
        > local stores and saw all the latest N scale equipment that they had on
        > display, and all of it looked very over sized! My eyes have developed
        > a case of the Z's. even H.O looks enormous!

        Thats why its called HO

        H.O. -> Horribly Oversized ;)

        Alan
      • Robert
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007

          > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 08:40:28 -0000
          > "flyerbait" <flyerbait@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Had a start today, i have not been to a hobby shop for a few
          months,
          > > just working on my own z scale stuff. Anyways walked into one of
          the
          > > local stores and saw all the latest N scale equipment that they
          had on
          > > display, and all of it looked very over sized! My eyes have
          developed
          > > a case of the Z's. even H.O looks enormous!
          >
          > Thats why its called HO
          >
          > H.O. -> Horribly Oversized ;)
          >
          > Alan

          Alan,

          My wife calls my Z scale models "TWEEZER TRAINS"

          Robert
        • MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
            ...and I've been told that if I water my Z scale trains, they will grow.

            Early in 1953, George Allen pointed out in the first of his "Tuxedo Junction"
            series in Model Railroader, that an HO car looked small next to an S or O
            car, and big next to a TT car [TT was the smallest commercially available scale
            at that time], but that when the modeler worked with one scale exclusive to
            others, the rolling stock, regardless of its actual size, seemed to grow (or
            shrink) to the same relative size in the modeler's mind. I forget what he called
            this phenomenon, but he is right...after working with Z scale for a while, it
            seems to be bigger then its actual size.

            John C. La Rue, Jr.
            bonita Springs, FL

          • Michael Duggan
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
              Too true John! I've primarily been an HO scale modeler. Over the past year or so I've started working in Z exclusively. Now I'm thinking of getting out some HO stuff to work on and I'm tempted to try all sorts of things that I'd never have tried before working in Z.

              Michael Duggan
              http://www.pawofabear.com

              -text cut-
              but that when the modeler worked with one scale exclusive to

              others, the rolling stock, regardless of its actual size, seemed to grow (or

              shrink) to the same relative size in the modeler's mind. I forget what he called

              this phenomenon, but he is right...after working with Z scale for a while, it

              seems to be bigger then its actual size.

              John C. La Rue, Jr.

              bonita Springs, FL

              .

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom:10px;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              padding:0 0;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              font-family:Arial;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o{font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal{
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq{margin:4;}
              -->

            • Alan Cox
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
                > shrink) to the same relative size in the modeler's mind. I forget what he called
                > this phenomenon, but he is right...after working with Z scale for a while, it
                > seems to be bigger then its actual size.

                Never had that happen I must confess - but I work some weekends on full
                size ones which tends to remind you quite forcibly that they are large
                (even in the UK where they are smaller than US)

                (Its also odd - you spend the week putting dirt and weeds on models and
                the weekend removing dirt and weeds for real ones)

                Alan
              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2007
                  > ...but that when the modeler worked with
                  > one scale exclusive to
                  > others, the rolling stock, regardless of its actual
                  > size, seemed to grow (or
                  > shrink) to the same relative size in the modeler's
                  > mind. I forget what he called
                  > this phenomenon, but he is right...after working
                  > with Z scale for a while, it
                  > seems to be bigger then its actual size.

                  I do agree: my Z scale trains have the right size in
                  my mind, all others scales seem to be oversized (and I
                  make the same - but opposite - parallel for my king
                  size female dog - she's a Leonberg - she looks like
                  she is the right size, and all others, even labradors
                  or golden retrievers seem ridiculously too
                  small....<wink>)

                  Dom

                • Slvanus Apps
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
                    If you want a real surprise, check out the latest Freudenreich release, the 22 foot wooden ore cars, they look tiny even compared to other Z scale cars, especially the Full Throttle centerflow cars or the Gundersons or the 50 foot boxcars