MicroTrack Electrical Gap

  • Yuji Kuwabara
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hello,

      Let me ask a question.
      I'm starting laying MicroTrack.
      How do you make electrical gaps?
      I think Marklin insulation joiner works well with MicroTrack.
      But I cannot remove metal joiners.
      It seems to me that the metal joiner is firmly spot-bonded to rail.
      Is cutting rail the only solution?

      Regards.

      Yuji Kuwabara
    • Don Avila
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
        Get a good set of flat smoothed surfaced pliers and firmly pull the
        joiner off.

        ...don

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Yuji Kuwabara <HHG01200@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Let me ask a question.
        > I'm starting laying MicroTrack.
        > How do you make electrical gaps?
        > I think Marklin insulation joiner works well with MicroTrack.
        > But I cannot remove metal joiners.
        > It seems to me that the metal joiner is firmly spot-bonded to rail.
        > Is cutting rail the only solution?
        >

        > Regards.
        >
        > Yuji Kuwabara

      • n_2_z_scale
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
          Yuji

          You can remove the rail joiner with a small plier tool. Yes, the
          rail joiners are spot welded. Easy to wiggle them free.

          Insulators, you can use "Atlas" code 55 rail insulators. Works
          good, near same size of rail.

          Question for you, do you plan on posting more photos of your famous
          Rio Grande locos and all of those cool container well cars and
          containers? How about that fabulous Big Boy???? We want more
          photos!!

          Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          N2Z

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Yuji Kuwabara <HHG01200@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Let me ask a question.
          > I'm starting laying MicroTrack.
          > How do you make electrical gaps?
          > I think Marklin insulation joiner works well with MicroTrack.
          > But I cannot remove metal joiners.
          > It seems to me that the metal joiner is firmly spot-bonded to rail.
          > Is cutting rail the only solution?
          >

          > Regards.
          >
          > Yuji Kuwabara

        • Yuji Kuwabara
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
            Hello,

            Thank you for info about metal joiner.
            I could remove it successfully.
            Unfortunately, I could not remove it with plier, perhaps because of
            my weak grip.
            Instead, I "peeled" the joiner from rail carefully.

            > Question for you, do you plan on posting more photos of your famous
            > Rio Grande locos and all of those cool container well cars and
            > containers? How about that fabulous Big Boy????

            Sorry, currently no plan for more photos of completed models.
            But other project is going on.

            Regards.

            Yuji Kuwabara
          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
              (Nice to see you again! What are your next
              scratchbuilding projects?) You don't need to cut nor
              heat the rails: the metal joiners are easy to remove
              with a plier. In the worst case you crush it with the
              plier's arms, but finally you can remove it.

              Dom

              --- Yuji Kuwabara <HHG01200@...> a écrit :

              > Hello,
              >
              > Let me ask a question.
              > I'm starting laying MicroTrack.
              > How do you make electrical gaps?
              > I think Marklin insulation joiner works well with
              > MicroTrack.
              > But I cannot remove metal joiners.
              > It seems to me that the metal joiner is firmly
              > spot-bonded to rail.
              > Is cutting rail the only solution?
              >

              > Regards.
              >
              > Yuji Kuwabara

            • Cliff Travis
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2007
                Hi,
                If you look at the rail joiner with a magnifier you will see little
                tabs on the joiner which are bet aver the rail whr they fit into a
                slot. Use a sharp edge to beend abck the tabs and the joiner comes
                right off. I've ramoved dozens fron extensible tracks used for
                joining modules. I've also found that a gap can esily be made with a
                sceoll saw equipped with a #6 or #8 blade. The gap is almost
                invisible . i Crazy glue the rail on eithr side of rhe gap but that
                is not usually necessary. The small #6/#8 teeth do not grab when
                cutting rail

                Cliff

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique

                _______
                > Ne gardez plus qu'une seule adresse mail ! Copiez vos mails vers
                Yahoo! Mail