Re: Gotthard Pass- December Model Railroader

  • Jim O'Connell
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
      Friends, I heard via the grapevine that my name was mentioned here. So
      here I am with my two cents worth like it or not. I have had less than
      satisfactory dealings in the past with Model RailRoader Magazine. I
      submitted my Original CCRR layout to them, the 2'x3' one. I got the
      biggest run around and down right rude responses from MRR, that when
      contacted by Rob, who I had never heard of at the time, from Z Track,
      well I jumped on board. I still have a Mr. Terry Thompson's email
      from June 2004. It is the oldest item in my inbox. I keep it to remind
      myself of an entity I find too full of itself. No one could accuse me
      of not trying to further our scale. For those of you that put forth my
      name in the same sentence with MRR thanks, but no thanks. I even
      offered not to except any payment when I submitted my article and
      photos to them. I just wanted exposure for Z scale. Mr. Thompson said
      they were full up of articles for the forseable future. I don't like to
      sit still and submitting the New CCRR and waiting until the year 2009
      is not for me. I'm happy to contribute to Z track, but I have no
      inclination to fight up hill battles against anyone or anything that I
      feel are only interested in the bottom line and have no real regard for
      all segments of the hobby. Cheers, Jim CCRR
    • Jeff BAZ-man
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
        I am sure that MR has a LOT of people submitting articles AND photos
        so they are going to have to pick and choose. Of course we, like
        even the opposite G scalars, are going to be left out of many.

        Rather than focus on articles, remember to just submit regular
        photos. Some, expecially Juergs, should have a better than zero
        chance at some point. I've have a collection that I have found that
        great composition and quality. I use those to promote Z. However,
        many are only 640x480 size where I would prefer at least 1280x1024
        to make a more uniform look on most anyone's display.

        Just keep mailing them in with a "Z scale" tag on it. Statistics.
        It's all about statistics.

        Jeff--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell"
        <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...> wrote:

        > Friends, I heard via the grapevine that my name was mentioned
        here. So
        > here I am with my two cents worth like it or not. I have had less
        than
        > satisfactory dealings in the past with Model RailRoader Magazine.
        > submitted my Original CCRR layout to them, the 2'x3' one. I got
        the
        > biggest run around and down right rude responses from MRR, that
        when
        > contacted by Rob, who I had never heard of at the time, from Z
        Track,
        > well I jumped on board. I still have a Mr. Terry Thompson's
        email
        > from June 2004. It is the oldest item in my inbox. I keep it to
        remind
        > myself of an entity I find too full of itself. No one could
        accuse me
        > of not trying to further our scale. For those of you that put
        forth my
        > name in the same sentence with MRR thanks, but no thanks. I even
        > offered not to except any payment when I submitted my article and
        > photos to them. I just wanted exposure for Z scale. Mr. Thompson
        said
        > they were full up of articles for the forseable future. I don't
        like to
        > sit still and submitting the New CCRR and waiting until the year
        2009
        > is not for me. I'm happy to contribute to Z track, but I have no
        > inclination to fight up hill battles against anyone or anything
        that I
        > feel are only interested in the bottom line and have no real
        regard for
        > all segments of the hobby. Cheers, Jim CCRR

      • David Epling
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
          Without naming names....one of the major problems I had with MR was with
          editors no longer there, perhaps a re-thinking of the situation with the
          newer staff in mind might change a few things in the ay MR looks at things
          these days.

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
            David, Fair enough. I don't know if Mr. Thompson is still there or
            not. But I will tell you something, unless one of the new editors
            paying my rent I think they should be named if someone has had
            problems. I stand by my previous statements. Cheers, Jim CCRR

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <david_epling@...>
            wrote:

            > Without naming names....one of the major problems I had with MR was
            with
            > editors no longer there, perhaps a re-thinking of the situation
            with the
            > newer staff in mind might change a few things in the ay MR looks at
            things
            > these days.

          • David Epling
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
              Thompson is gone...as is the guy I dealt with. It seems to me that it is now
              pretty much all new people except for Jim and Andy

              I've been giving some thought to re-submitting a couple of my photos to
              Trackside photos because of it