RE: [Z_Scale] Re: Gotthard Pass- December Model Railroader

  • Don Avila
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
      .well, I had an opening to Andy Sperandeo that goes back nearly 30
      years, so I can't help you on that one. Long long story, but that is
      how I got the door 'open' in Detroit. I won't say that Dave George and
      I didn't go 'prepared' but we did have a little something in the hip
      pocket that we had worked pretty hard on for a month to whet MRR's
      interest - and that is how we got them to spend some time at Dave's
      layout.

      What they did tell us is they did not want a lot of helicopter views of
      layouts, but more photos taken nearer to ground level. They wanted lots
      of views of trains with scenery not being the most important item in the
      view - although obviously you need lots of scenery. In other words for
      anyone who has seen Dave's layout, they thought it was pretty darn good
      - but from the magazine's viewpoint they would like to see trains in the
      foreground and the scenery sort of secondary - which is almost
      diametrically opposite of what you show at a convention. The also want
      highly detailed photos - which throws out most snap shots. This would
      mean you would probably need a tripod, high quality camera/lenses and
      good depth of field control and scads of lighting generally coming in to
      represent the sun. They wanted a well written story [which they will
      edit] and they would like scads of information as to how the layout was
      built and lots of information about the owner/builder. They said not
      too worry too much about layout drawings as they had professionals that
      can handle that.

      O.K., that was step #1

      ...don

      From: Don Avila
      Date: 10/1/2007 9:23:30 AM
      To: z_scale@yahoogroups <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com> .com

      FWIW both Neil Besougloff and Andy Sperandeo, the two main editors of
      MODEL RAILROADER spent about 20 minutes with Dave George's [a.k.a. Mr.
      Dave] layout at the 2007 Detroit NMRA / NTS. They discussed in detail
      what they would like in order to get a story into print. Dave will be
      getting photos taken this fall using Andy's and Neil's suggestions.
      Andy and Neil also opened the door for us and offered to help us to
      make the story more likely to make it to print. It won't be "next
      month", but I think there is a good chance it will make it to print.

      ....don

      Don,
      Can you share some of the thoughts they mentioned that MRR is looking
      for in
      order to get something published? Sounds like MRR is very picky.

    • Jim O'Connell
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
        Friends, I heard via the grapevine that my name was mentioned here. So
        here I am with my two cents worth like it or not. I have had less than
        satisfactory dealings in the past with Model RailRoader Magazine. I
        submitted my Original CCRR layout to them, the 2'x3' one. I got the
        biggest run around and down right rude responses from MRR, that when
        contacted by Rob, who I had never heard of at the time, from Z Track,
        well I jumped on board. I still have a Mr. Terry Thompson's email
        from June 2004. It is the oldest item in my inbox. I keep it to remind
        myself of an entity I find too full of itself. No one could accuse me
        of not trying to further our scale. For those of you that put forth my
        name in the same sentence with MRR thanks, but no thanks. I even
        offered not to except any payment when I submitted my article and
        photos to them. I just wanted exposure for Z scale. Mr. Thompson said
        they were full up of articles for the forseable future. I don't like to
        sit still and submitting the New CCRR and waiting until the year 2009
        is not for me. I'm happy to contribute to Z track, but I have no
        inclination to fight up hill battles against anyone or anything that I
        feel are only interested in the bottom line and have no real regard for
        all segments of the hobby. Cheers, Jim CCRR
      • Jeff BAZ-man
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
          I am sure that MR has a LOT of people submitting articles AND photos
          so they are going to have to pick and choose. Of course we, like
          even the opposite G scalars, are going to be left out of many.

          Rather than focus on articles, remember to just submit regular
          photos. Some, expecially Juergs, should have a better than zero
          chance at some point. I've have a collection that I have found that
          great composition and quality. I use those to promote Z. However,
          many are only 640x480 size where I would prefer at least 1280x1024
          to make a more uniform look on most anyone's display.

          Just keep mailing them in with a "Z scale" tag on it. Statistics.
          It's all about statistics.

          Jeff--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell"
          <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...> wrote:

          > Friends, I heard via the grapevine that my name was mentioned
          here. So
          > here I am with my two cents worth like it or not. I have had less
          than
          > satisfactory dealings in the past with Model RailRoader Magazine.
          > submitted my Original CCRR layout to them, the 2'x3' one. I got
          the
          > biggest run around and down right rude responses from MRR, that
          when
          > contacted by Rob, who I had never heard of at the time, from Z
          Track,
          > well I jumped on board. I still have a Mr. Terry Thompson's
          email
          > from June 2004. It is the oldest item in my inbox. I keep it to
          remind
          > myself of an entity I find too full of itself. No one could
          accuse me
          > of not trying to further our scale. For those of you that put
          forth my
          > name in the same sentence with MRR thanks, but no thanks. I even
          > offered not to except any payment when I submitted my article and
          > photos to them. I just wanted exposure for Z scale. Mr. Thompson
          said
          > they were full up of articles for the forseable future. I don't
          like to
          > sit still and submitting the New CCRR and waiting until the year
          2009
          > is not for me. I'm happy to contribute to Z track, but I have no
          > inclination to fight up hill battles against anyone or anything
          that I
          > feel are only interested in the bottom line and have no real
          regard for
          > all segments of the hobby. Cheers, Jim CCRR

        • David Epling
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
            Without naming names....one of the major problems I had with MR was with
            editors no longer there, perhaps a re-thinking of the situation with the
            newer staff in mind might change a few things in the ay MR looks at things
            these days.

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
              David, Fair enough. I don't know if Mr. Thompson is still there or
              not. But I will tell you something, unless one of the new editors
              paying my rent I think they should be named if someone has had
              problems. I stand by my previous statements. Cheers, Jim CCRR

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <david_epling@...>
              wrote:

              > Without naming names....one of the major problems I had with MR was
              with
              > editors no longer there, perhaps a re-thinking of the situation
              with the
              > newer staff in mind might change a few things in the ay MR looks at
              things
              > these days.

            • David Epling
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
                Thompson is gone...as is the guy I dealt with. It seems to me that it is now
                pretty much all new people except for Jim and Andy

                I've been giving some thought to re-submitting a couple of my photos to
                Trackside photos because of it