Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Gotthard Pass- December Model Railroader

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
      -------Original Message-------

      From: Don Avila
      Date: 10/1/2007 9:23:30 AM
      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: Gotthard Pass- December Model Railroader

      FWIW both Neil Besougloff and Andy Sperandeo, the two main editors of
      MODEL RAILROADER spent about 20 minutes with Dave George's [a.k.a. Mr.
      Dave] layout at the 2007 Detroit NMRA / NTS. They discussed in detail
      what they would like in order to get a story into print. Dave will be
      getting photos taken this fall using Andy's and Neil's suggestions.
      Andy and Neil also opened the door for us and offered to help us to
      make the story more likely to make it to print. It won't be "next
      month", but I think there is a good chance it will make it to print.

      ....don

      Don,
      Can you share some of the thoughts they mentioned that MRR is looking for in
      order to get something published? Sounds like MRR is very picky.

    • Don Avila
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
        .well, I had an opening to Andy Sperandeo that goes back nearly 30
        years, so I can't help you on that one. Long long story, but that is
        how I got the door 'open' in Detroit. I won't say that Dave George and
        I didn't go 'prepared' but we did have a little something in the hip
        pocket that we had worked pretty hard on for a month to whet MRR's
        interest - and that is how we got them to spend some time at Dave's
        layout.

        What they did tell us is they did not want a lot of helicopter views of
        layouts, but more photos taken nearer to ground level. They wanted lots
        of views of trains with scenery not being the most important item in the
        view - although obviously you need lots of scenery. In other words for
        anyone who has seen Dave's layout, they thought it was pretty darn good
        - but from the magazine's viewpoint they would like to see trains in the
        foreground and the scenery sort of secondary - which is almost
        diametrically opposite of what you show at a convention. The also want
        highly detailed photos - which throws out most snap shots. This would
        mean you would probably need a tripod, high quality camera/lenses and
        good depth of field control and scads of lighting generally coming in to
        represent the sun. They wanted a well written story [which they will
        edit] and they would like scads of information as to how the layout was
        built and lots of information about the owner/builder. They said not
        too worry too much about layout drawings as they had professionals that
        can handle that.

        O.K., that was step #1

        ...don

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
          Friends, I heard via the grapevine that my name was mentioned here. So
          here I am with my two cents worth like it or not. I have had less than
          satisfactory dealings in the past with Model RailRoader Magazine. I
          submitted my Original CCRR layout to them, the 2'x3' one. I got the
          biggest run around and down right rude responses from MRR, that when
          contacted by Rob, who I had never heard of at the time, from Z Track,
          well I jumped on board. I still have a Mr. Terry Thompson's email
          from June 2004. It is the oldest item in my inbox. I keep it to remind
          myself of an entity I find too full of itself. No one could accuse me
          of not trying to further our scale. For those of you that put forth my
          name in the same sentence with MRR thanks, but no thanks. I even
          offered not to except any payment when I submitted my article and
          photos to them. I just wanted exposure for Z scale. Mr. Thompson said
          they were full up of articles for the forseable future. I don't like to
          sit still and submitting the New CCRR and waiting until the year 2009
          is not for me. I'm happy to contribute to Z track, but I have no
          inclination to fight up hill battles against anyone or anything that I
          feel are only interested in the bottom line and have no real regard for
          all segments of the hobby. Cheers, Jim CCRR
        • Jeff BAZ-man
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
            I am sure that MR has a LOT of people submitting articles AND photos
            so they are going to have to pick and choose. Of course we, like
            even the opposite G scalars, are going to be left out of many.

            Rather than focus on articles, remember to just submit regular
            photos. Some, expecially Juergs, should have a better than zero
            chance at some point. I've have a collection that I have found that
            great composition and quality. I use those to promote Z. However,
            many are only 640x480 size where I would prefer at least 1280x1024
            to make a more uniform look on most anyone's display.

            Just keep mailing them in with a "Z scale" tag on it. Statistics.
            It's all about statistics.

            Jeff--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell"
            <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...> wrote:

            > Friends, I heard via the grapevine that my name was mentioned
            here. So
            > here I am with my two cents worth like it or not. I have had less
            than
            > satisfactory dealings in the past with Model RailRoader Magazine.
            > submitted my Original CCRR layout to them, the 2'x3' one. I got
            the
            > biggest run around and down right rude responses from MRR, that
            when
            > contacted by Rob, who I had never heard of at the time, from Z
            Track,
            > well I jumped on board. I still have a Mr. Terry Thompson's
            email
            > from June 2004. It is the oldest item in my inbox. I keep it to
            remind
            > myself of an entity I find too full of itself. No one could
            accuse me
            > of not trying to further our scale. For those of you that put
            forth my
            > name in the same sentence with MRR thanks, but no thanks. I even
            > offered not to except any payment when I submitted my article and
            > photos to them. I just wanted exposure for Z scale. Mr. Thompson
            said
            > they were full up of articles for the forseable future. I don't
            like to
            > sit still and submitting the New CCRR and waiting until the year
            2009
            > is not for me. I'm happy to contribute to Z track, but I have no
            > inclination to fight up hill battles against anyone or anything
            that I
            > feel are only interested in the bottom line and have no real
            regard for
            > all segments of the hobby. Cheers, Jim CCRR

          • David Epling
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
              Without naming names....one of the major problems I had with MR was with
              editors no longer there, perhaps a re-thinking of the situation with the
              newer staff in mind might change a few things in the ay MR looks at things
              these days.

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
                David, Fair enough. I don't know if Mr. Thompson is still there or
                not. But I will tell you something, unless one of the new editors
                paying my rent I think they should be named if someone has had
                problems. I stand by my previous statements. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <david_epling@...>
                wrote:

                > Without naming names....one of the major problems I had with MR was
                with
                > editors no longer there, perhaps a re-thinking of the situation
                with the
                > newer staff in mind might change a few things in the ay MR looks at
                things
                > these days.

              • David Epling
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
                  Thompson is gone...as is the guy I dealt with. It seems to me that it is now
                  pretty much all new people except for Jim and Andy

                  I've been giving some thought to re-submitting a couple of my photos to
                  Trackside photos because of it