Gotthard Pass- December Model Railroader

  • Fred Ladd
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
      Rob won't toot his horn or blow the wistle--- so -----
      30' x 50' Z scale layout artical will in December MR. I've seen it and
      it is spectacular.
      Just a headz up zeds
      Fred
    • de Champeaux
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Ladd" <zeagle99@...> wrote:

        > Rob won't toot his horn or blow the wistle--- so -----
        > 30' x 50' Z scale layout artical will in December MR. I've seen it
        and
        > it is spectacular.
        > Just a headz up zeds
        > Fred

        I've also seen this notification on the november issue I had in my
        mailbox this morning. I'm quite in a hurry to read it! And it appears
        it will be the first time that MR speaks of a kingsized Z scale
        layout...Now they should keep provisions for Jeffrey White's Union
        Pacific or Jim O'Connell's Central California RR!

        Dom
      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
          Dom,
          That is a great idea about featuring Jeffrey's and Jim's layouts. Both are
          worthy entrants.
          I'll go put a bug in Jim's ear to submit his pictures and script to MRR.
          But I hear they are kind of fussy about submissions for publication.

          Any hints for Jim?

          Loren

          > 30' x 50' Z scale layout artical will in December MR. I've seen it
          and
          > it is spectacular.
          > Just a headz up zeds
          > Fred

          I've also seen this notification on the november issue I had in my
          mailbox this morning. I'm quite in a hurry to read it! And it appears
          it will be the first time that MR speaks of a kingsized Z scale
          layout...Now they should keep provisions for Jeffrey White's Union
          Pacific or Jim O'Connell's Central California RR!

          Dom

        • Don Avila
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007

            > Dom,
            > That is a great idea about featuring Jeffrey's and Jim's layouts.
            Both are
            > worthy entrants.
            > I'll go put a bug in Jim's ear to submit his pictures and script to
            MRR.
            > But I hear they are kind of fussy about submissions for publication.
            >
            > Any hints for Jim?
            >
            > Loren

            This is not quite the first big article. In 1986 they ran a series of
            articles over a four month period. That layout was "long lost" and
            surfaced last year. It was offered for sale both on several forums and
            in ZTRACK. Recently a museum purchased it and has been soliciting
            donations.

            FWIW both Neil Besougloff and Andy Sperandeo, the two main editors of
            MODEL RAILROADER spent about 20 minutes with Dave George's [a.k.a. Mr.
            Dave] layout at the 2007 Detroit NMRA / NTS. They discussed in detail
            what they would like in order to get a story into print. Dave will be
            getting photos taken this fall using Andy's and Neil's suggestions.
            Andy and Neil also opened the door for us and offered to help us to
            make the story more likely to make it to print. It won't be "next
            month", but I think there is a good chance it will make it to print.

            ...don
          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
              FWIW both Neil Besougloff and Andy Sperandeo, the two main editors of
              MODEL RAILROADER spent about 20 minutes with Dave George's [a.k.a. Mr.
              Dave] layout at the 2007 Detroit NMRA / NTS. They discussed in detail
              what they would like in order to get a story into print. Dave will be
              getting photos taken this fall using Andy's and Neil's suggestions.
              Andy and Neil also opened the door for us and offered to help us to
              make the story more likely to make it to print. It won't be "next
              month", but I think there is a good chance it will make it to print.

              ....don

              Don,
              Can you share some of the thoughts they mentioned that MRR is looking for in
              order to get something published? Sounds like MRR is very picky.

            • Don Avila
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
                .well, I had an opening to Andy Sperandeo that goes back nearly 30
                years, so I can't help you on that one. Long long story, but that is
                how I got the door 'open' in Detroit. I won't say that Dave George and
                I didn't go 'prepared' but we did have a little something in the hip
                pocket that we had worked pretty hard on for a month to whet MRR's
                interest - and that is how we got them to spend some time at Dave's
                layout.

                What they did tell us is they did not want a lot of helicopter views of
                layouts, but more photos taken nearer to ground level. They wanted lots
                of views of trains with scenery not being the most important item in the
                view - although obviously you need lots of scenery. In other words for
                anyone who has seen Dave's layout, they thought it was pretty darn good
                - but from the magazine's viewpoint they would like to see trains in the
                foreground and the scenery sort of secondary - which is almost
                diametrically opposite of what you show at a convention. The also want
                highly detailed photos - which throws out most snap shots. This would
                mean you would probably need a tripod, high quality camera/lenses and
                good depth of field control and scads of lighting generally coming in to
                represent the sun. They wanted a well written story [which they will
                edit] and they would like scads of information as to how the layout was
                built and lots of information about the owner/builder. They said not
                too worry too much about layout drawings as they had professionals that
                can handle that.

                O.K., that was step #1

                ...don

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
                  Friends, I heard via the grapevine that my name was mentioned here. So
                  here I am with my two cents worth like it or not. I have had less than
                  satisfactory dealings in the past with Model RailRoader Magazine. I
                  submitted my Original CCRR layout to them, the 2'x3' one. I got the
                  biggest run around and down right rude responses from MRR, that when
                  contacted by Rob, who I had never heard of at the time, from Z Track,
                  well I jumped on board. I still have a Mr. Terry Thompson's email
                  from June 2004. It is the oldest item in my inbox. I keep it to remind
                  myself of an entity I find too full of itself. No one could accuse me
                  of not trying to further our scale. For those of you that put forth my
                  name in the same sentence with MRR thanks, but no thanks. I even
                  offered not to except any payment when I submitted my article and
                  photos to them. I just wanted exposure for Z scale. Mr. Thompson said
                  they were full up of articles for the forseable future. I don't like to
                  sit still and submitting the New CCRR and waiting until the year 2009
                  is not for me. I'm happy to contribute to Z track, but I have no
                  inclination to fight up hill battles against anyone or anything that I
                  feel are only interested in the bottom line and have no real regard for
                  all segments of the hobby. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                • Jeff BAZ-man
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
                    I am sure that MR has a LOT of people submitting articles AND photos
                    so they are going to have to pick and choose. Of course we, like
                    even the opposite G scalars, are going to be left out of many.

                    Rather than focus on articles, remember to just submit regular
                    photos. Some, expecially Juergs, should have a better than zero
                    chance at some point. I've have a collection that I have found that
                    great composition and quality. I use those to promote Z. However,
                    many are only 640x480 size where I would prefer at least 1280x1024
                    to make a more uniform look on most anyone's display.

                    Just keep mailing them in with a "Z scale" tag on it. Statistics.
                    It's all about statistics.

                    Jeff--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell"
                    <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...> wrote:

                    > Friends, I heard via the grapevine that my name was mentioned
                    here. So
                    > here I am with my two cents worth like it or not. I have had less
                    than
                    > satisfactory dealings in the past with Model RailRoader Magazine.
                    > submitted my Original CCRR layout to them, the 2'x3' one. I got
                    the
                    > biggest run around and down right rude responses from MRR, that
                    when
                    > contacted by Rob, who I had never heard of at the time, from Z
                    Track,
                    > well I jumped on board. I still have a Mr. Terry Thompson's
                    email
                    > from June 2004. It is the oldest item in my inbox. I keep it to
                    remind
                    > myself of an entity I find too full of itself. No one could
                    accuse me
                    > of not trying to further our scale. For those of you that put
                    forth my
                    > name in the same sentence with MRR thanks, but no thanks. I even
                    > offered not to except any payment when I submitted my article and
                    > photos to them. I just wanted exposure for Z scale. Mr. Thompson
                    said
                    > they were full up of articles for the forseable future. I don't
                    like to
                    > sit still and submitting the New CCRR and waiting until the year
                    2009
                    > is not for me. I'm happy to contribute to Z track, but I have no
                    > inclination to fight up hill battles against anyone or anything
                    that I
                    > feel are only interested in the bottom line and have no real
                    regard for
                    > all segments of the hobby. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                  • David Epling
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
                      Without naming names....one of the major problems I had with MR was with
                      editors no longer there, perhaps a re-thinking of the situation with the
                      newer staff in mind might change a few things in the ay MR looks at things
                      these days.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
                        David, Fair enough. I don't know if Mr. Thompson is still there or
                        not. But I will tell you something, unless one of the new editors
                        paying my rent I think they should be named if someone has had
                        problems. I stand by my previous statements. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <david_epling@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Without naming names....one of the major problems I had with MR was
                        with
                        > editors no longer there, perhaps a re-thinking of the situation
                        with the
                        > newer staff in mind might change a few things in the ay MR looks at
                        things
                        > these days.

                      • David Epling
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
                          Thompson is gone...as is the guy I dealt with. It seems to me that it is now
                          pretty much all new people except for Jim and Andy

                          I've been giving some thought to re-submitting a couple of my photos to
                          Trackside photos because of it