Re: [WPModeler] PRESS RELEASE: Western Pacific in Z Scale to be preserved in Portola.

  • Jeff BAZ-man
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 30, 2007
      Hopefully you can get some more press releases and possibly websites,
      shows (e.g. Great Train Expo) flyers. Hobby shops (e.g. The Train
      Shop in Santa Clara) and club layouts (not just Z).

      Got $100 from me. Now, if only 50 more contributed . . .

      Jeff
      SF Bay Area Z

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <david_epling@...>
      wrote:

      > Webpage on the FRRS website with paypal button
      >
      > http://www.wplives.org/FRRS_Home/News_and_Events/news_and_events.html
      >
      > Thanks
      > David

    • David Epling
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3, 2007
        Thank You Jeff, I just got confirmation of your very generous donation. As
        a small token of our appreciation, I have arranged for a one year associate
        level membership in the FRRS.

        Thanks again

        David Epling
        FRRS/WPRM Webmaster
        WPRM Operating Department
        Model Railroad Committee Chairman
        http://www.wplives.org

        wrote:

        > Webpage on the FRRS website with paypal button
        >
        > http://www.wplives.org/FRRS_Home/News_and_Events/news_and_events.html
        >
        > Thanks
        > David

      • Edward Scullin
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2007
          Jeffery
          I just used green Squadron putty for the seams.
          The scary thing (At least for me) was cutting up and filing down the cylinders. It makes a nice
          kit and sure increases the pulling capacity of a Pacific.
          Ed Scullin

          --- Jeffrey Walsh <fredshark@...> wrote:

          > Good Day Everyone,
          >
          > I just received a package from Kevin of Hobby Crafts N More containing a
          > Pennzee PRR Loewy Streamlined K4 locomotive conversion kit. It is a very
          > nice kit, but I do have some questions I am hoping the group can help me
          > with.
          >
          > The loco shell and tender are both metal, with the kit shell replacing the
          > loco shell of a Marklin 4-6-2 chassis. The tender requires basic assembly
          > in super gluing the sides, top, and bottom together.
          >
          > My first questions are in dealing with the seams from assembling the tender.
          > I was thinking about using Mr. Surfacer 500, but I don't know how it will
          > react with metal. I need to purchase a new bottle before I can experiment.
          > Has anyone used Mr. Surfacer for filling seams in metal? What are the best
          > practices in filling seams in a metal kit?
          >
          > The other questions I have are with the tender trucks. My references show
          > the Loewy K4 tender has two 3-axle trucks. The kit instructions state that
          > you can use any modern 2-axle European passenger car truck for the tender.
          > I was thinking of modifying a set of Hallmark heavyweight trucks for the
          > tender, rather than purchase and cannibalize a Marklin passenger car, but I
          > am hoping for an off-the-shelf 3-axle truck. Is an off-the-shelf 3-axle
          > truck now available? Are there inserts available for the Hallmark trucks?
          >
          > Thank you!
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Jeffrey Walsh

        • Jeffrey Walsh
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
            Ed,

            I have to admit that I am intimidated by cutting up the cylinders. Do you
            have any advice on the process?

            I'll give green stuff a try. There is a seam right next to a molded ladder,
            and I am worried about filling around the ladder. Perhaps I should file off
            the ladder and replace it with PE.

            Thank you for the help.

            Cheers,

            Jeffrey Walsh

            PS: Ed, did you paint your K4 green, red, or black?

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
              Jeffery
              I really do not remember about the ladder. I will have to get down to the basement again and dig
              it out and look. The PE sounds like a good option as most cast on details are too thick.
              My only advice on fileing is to take your time and do it slowly. I took off a little too much on
              one side and had to fill it in and redo it.
              You might want to have a parts list handy just to give you confidence that you can always get a
              new set of cylinders.
              I painted my Brunswick Green. IT looks black under most light.
              Ed S