Re: [WPModeler] PRESS RELEASE: Western Pacific in Z Scale to be preserved in Portola.

  • David Epling
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
      Webpage on the FRRS website with paypal button

      http://www.wplives.org/FRRS_Home/News_and_Events/news_and_events.html

      Thanks
      David

    • Rocco
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007
        Just made my $15 contribution by PayPal using link below. No problems.

        Webpage on the FRRS website with paypal button

        http://www.wplives org/FRRS_ Home/News_ and_Events/ news_and_ events.html

        Thanks

        David

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

      • David Epling
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007
          Thanks Rocco, I was advised this morning that we had received your paypal
          payment

          David
          Just made my $15 contribution by PayPal using link below. No problems.

          Webpage on the FRRS website with paypal button

          http://www.wplives org/FRRS_ Home/News_ and_Events/ news_and_ events.html

          Thanks

          David

          <!--

          #ygrp-mkp{
          border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:14px 0px;padding:0px
          14px;}
          #ygrp-mkp hr{
          border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
          #ygrp-mkp #hd{
          0px;}
          #ygrp-mkp #ads{
          margin-bottom:10px;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad{
          padding:0 0;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
          color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
          font-family:Arial;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
          margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean,
          sans-serif;}
          #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean,
          sans-serif;}

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 24, 2007
            As an update, we've had a disappointing show in donations towards this
            project, to date there has only been 140.00 raised of the needed amount.
            This number is via paypal. I am not sure if we've received anything via USPS
            mail at the museum.

            Please help us acquire the WP in Z Scale layout for permanent operating
            display at the Western PAcific Railroad Museum in Portola CA. Your donation
            is tax deductible under the rule of 501c3 organizations.

            http://www.wplives.org/FRRS_Home/News_and_Events/news_and_events.html

            Thank You

            David Epling
            FRRS/WPRM Webmaster
            WPRM Operating Department
            Model Railroad Committee Chairman
            http://www.wplives.org
          • John Duino
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 24, 2007
              Either the page is broken, or it only works in IE (which, IMHO, means it
              is broken). I cannot click the DONATE button. If I go straight through
              PayPal who do I send the donation to?

              John

              > As an update, we've had a disappointing show in donations towards this
              > project, to date there has only been 140.00 raised of the needed amount.
              > This number is via paypal. I am not sure if we've received anything via
              > USPS
              > mail at the museum.
              >
              > Please help us acquire the WP in Z Scale layout for permanent operating
              > display at the Western PAcific Railroad Museum in Portola CA. Your
              > donation
              > is tax deductible under the rule of 501c3 organizations.
              >
              > http://www.wplives.org/FRRS_Home/News_and_Events/news_and_events.html
              >
              > Thank You
              >
              > David Epling
              > FRRS/WPRM Webmaster
              > WPRM Operating Department
              > Model Railroad Committee Chairman
              > http://www.wplives.org

            • Jeffrey Walsh
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 28, 2007
                Good Day Everyone,

                I just received a package from Kevin of Hobby Crafts N More containing a
                Pennzee PRR Loewy Streamlined K4 locomotive conversion kit. It is a very
                nice kit, but I do have some questions I am hoping the group can help me
                with.

                The loco shell and tender are both metal, with the kit shell replacing the
                loco shell of a Marklin 4-6-2 chassis. The tender requires basic assembly
                in super gluing the sides, top, and bottom together.

                My first questions are in dealing with the seams from assembling the tender.
                I was thinking about using Mr. Surfacer 500, but I don't know how it will
                react with metal. I need to purchase a new bottle before I can experiment.
                Has anyone used Mr. Surfacer for filling seams in metal? What are the best
                practices in filling seams in a metal kit?

                The other questions I have are with the tender trucks. My references show
                the Loewy K4 tender has two 3-axle trucks. The kit instructions state that
                you can use any modern 2-axle European passenger car truck for the tender.
                I was thinking of modifying a set of Hallmark heavyweight trucks for the
                tender, rather than purchase and cannibalize a Marklin passenger car, but I
                am hoping for an off-the-shelf 3-axle truck. Is an off-the-shelf 3-axle
                truck now available? Are there inserts available for the Hallmark trucks?

                Thank you!

                Cheers,

                Jeffrey Walsh
              • Alan Cox
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 28, 2007
                  > tender, rather than purchase and cannibalize a Marklin passenger car, but I
                  > am hoping for an off-the-shelf 3-axle truck. Is an off-the-shelf 3-axle
                  > truck now available?

                  Marklin trucks can be bought as spares (at least in Europe)

                  Alan
                • dpstripe@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 28, 2007
                    Jeffrey,
                    Z track sells the truck sideframes for the 3 axle trucks used on their well
                    car and depressed center flatcar. they are like a buckeye truck. They take a
                    while to get, and you need to provide MT wheel sets, but they are available.
                    Dan S.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 30, 2007
                      Alan & Dan,

                      Thank you for your suggestions on 3-axle trucks. After some though, I might
                      need to go with 2-axle trucks. The kit recommends 2-axle trucks and I'll
                      bet that 3-axle trucks would be too long.

                      Thanks again,

                      Jeffrey Walsh
                    • Jeff BAZ-man
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 30, 2007
                        Hopefully you can get some more press releases and possibly websites,
                        shows (e.g. Great Train Expo) flyers. Hobby shops (e.g. The Train
                        Shop in Santa Clara) and club layouts (not just Z).

                        Got $100 from me. Now, if only 50 more contributed . . .

                        Jeff
                        SF Bay Area Z

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <david_epling@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Webpage on the FRRS website with paypal button
                        >
                        > http://www.wplives.org/FRRS_Home/News_and_Events/news_and_events.html
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > David

                      • David Epling
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 3, 2007
                          Thank You Jeff, I just got confirmation of your very generous donation. As
                          a small token of our appreciation, I have arranged for a one year associate
                          level membership in the FRRS.

                          Thanks again

                          wrote:

                          > Webpage on the FRRS website with paypal button
                          >
                          > http://www.wplives.org/FRRS_Home/News_and_Events/news_and_events.html
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          > David

                        • Edward Scullin
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 3, 2007
                            Jeffery
                            I just used green Squadron putty for the seams.
                            The scary thing (At least for me) was cutting up and filing down the cylinders. It makes a nice
                            kit and sure increases the pulling capacity of a Pacific.
                            Ed Scullin

                            --- Jeffrey Walsh <fredshark@...> wrote:

                            > Good Day Everyone,
                            >
                            > I just received a package from Kevin of Hobby Crafts N More containing a
                            > Pennzee PRR Loewy Streamlined K4 locomotive conversion kit. It is a very
                            > nice kit, but I do have some questions I am hoping the group can help me
                            > with.
                            >
                            > The loco shell and tender are both metal, with the kit shell replacing the
                            > loco shell of a Marklin 4-6-2 chassis. The tender requires basic assembly
                            > in super gluing the sides, top, and bottom together.
                            >
                            > My first questions are in dealing with the seams from assembling the tender.
                            > I was thinking about using Mr. Surfacer 500, but I don't know how it will
                            > react with metal. I need to purchase a new bottle before I can experiment.
                            > Has anyone used Mr. Surfacer for filling seams in metal? What are the best
                            > practices in filling seams in a metal kit?
                            >
                            > The other questions I have are with the tender trucks. My references show
                            > the Loewy K4 tender has two 3-axle trucks. The kit instructions state that
                            > you can use any modern 2-axle European passenger car truck for the tender.
                            > I was thinking of modifying a set of Hallmark heavyweight trucks for the
                            > tender, rather than purchase and cannibalize a Marklin passenger car, but I
                            > am hoping for an off-the-shelf 3-axle truck. Is an off-the-shelf 3-axle
                            > truck now available? Are there inserts available for the Hallmark trucks?
                            >
                            > Thank you!
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > Jeffrey Walsh

                          • Jeffrey Walsh
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                              Ed,

                              I have to admit that I am intimidated by cutting up the cylinders. Do you
                              have any advice on the process?

                              I'll give green stuff a try. There is a seam right next to a molded ladder,
                              and I am worried about filling around the ladder. Perhaps I should file off
                              the ladder and replace it with PE.

                              Thank you for the help.

                              Cheers,

                              Jeffrey Walsh

                              PS: Ed, did you paint your K4 green, red, or black?

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                                Jeffery
                                I really do not remember about the ladder. I will have to get down to the basement again and dig
                                it out and look. The PE sounds like a good option as most cast on details are too thick.
                                My only advice on fileing is to take your time and do it slowly. I took off a little too much on
                                one side and had to fill it in and redo it.
                                You might want to have a parts list handy just to give you confidence that you can always get a
                                new set of cylinders.
                                I painted my Brunswick Green. IT looks black under most light.
                                Ed S