US Steam in z?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
      Guys, I am trying to get back into the hobby but I am a little lost and
      looking for some answers. I was somewhat discouraged many years ago by
      the lack of US structures and steam locomotives. Now, I see a lot has
      changed these days. I am interested in US steam only and would like to
      ask you guys about some of the choices I have seen lately.
      First, is the Marklin D&RGW "Bumble-bee" really out of scale as I have
      read? Some seem to think it is closer to a Nn3 engine than Z.
      Is the Casey Jones loco a good fit for Z?
      How about the Aspen Models 10 wheeler conversion?
      I am an old narrow gauge guy which would explain the need for vintage
      steam.
      Any body willing to offer a little advice please?
      Thanks for any help.
      Steve
    • Jim O'Connell
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
        Steve, Well the New CCRR featured above on the home page photo is an
        all steam railroad. I don't know how long you have be gone but there
        are some good choices and some not so good. You asked about the
        Bumble Bee Mogul. Yes, it is Nn3. On the plus side it is a beauty
        and when painted black it sort of shrinks optically. On the negative
        side is that this loco is VERY light and will only pull 5 or 6 cars.
        Grades about 2% will be near impossible with 5 cars. It will barely
        pull the passenger cars it usually comes with. It also has a tendency
        to slip on curvers tighter than 19, flex track can't be too tight. I
        have two Micro Trains Line Moguls. These were in production a short
        time in the mid to late 90's. If you can find one they are nice but
        not great performers. I have a Marklin Mikado, probably a 3-pole
        motor, older model, and really like it. I also have the Marklin
        Pacific, 5-pole motor, and am quite happy with it. I recently
        purchased a Marklin 0-8-0 and kit bashed it into NA steam. I use it
        as a switcher. It's ok. Finally to the Casey Jones. I have a one
        year old 5-pole version that came with the passenger cars. It is my
        favorite steamer. It just keeps on going and going. It is heavy and
        weight in a loco equals pulling power. My CJ will pull 12 cars up
        2.5% curved grades. I love it. The MTL Moguls, if you can find one,
        are expensive and frankly not worth the $500 to $600 they usually go
        for. You seem to like 18th century so get the Casey Jones 5-pole
        motor and enjoy. I would recommend NOT buying any engine with a 3
        pole motor. Old technology. If you just must have the Bumble Bee then
        you will have locate some tungsten powder from a golf repair/building
        shop and fill every available space between the body and the chassis.
        Lead is second choice, but not as heavy as tungsten. I don't have the
        loot to buy an Aspen engine so I can make no comment about them. You
        might simplify your choice by finding the relative weights of the
        Aspen and the CJ. If money is an object get the heavy CJ. Cheers, Jim
        CCRR

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <pitkin1@...> wrote:

        > Guys, I am trying to get back into the hobby but I am a little lost
        and
        > looking for some answers. I was somewhat discouraged many years
        ago by
        > the lack of US structures and steam locomotives. Now, I see a lot
        has
        > changed these days. I am interested in US steam only and would like
        > ask you guys about some of the choices I have seen lately.
        > First, is the Marklin D&RGW "Bumble-bee" really out of scale as I
        have
        > read? Some seem to think it is closer to a Nn3 engine than Z.
        > Is the Casey Jones loco a good fit for Z?
        > How about the Aspen Models 10 wheeler conversion?
        > I am an old narrow gauge guy which would explain the need for
        vintage
        > steam.
        > Any body willing to offer a little advice please?
        > Thanks for any help.
        > Steve

      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2007
          Hi Steve,
          It has been my experience that the Marklin
          Pacifics (4-6-2) are the best performing steam
          locomotives and will haul 15 cars easily through
          some of the roughest trackwork. The Mikado
          also does very well with the exception that the
          front pilot is so light it that tends to bounce out
          thus derailing when turnouts are not adjusted
          properly. The more recent version of both locomotives
          have 5 pole motors which perform flawlessly.
          Also Marklin has taken to dark anodizing the
          driver wheels, so that they look fabulous.

          For the Mikado pilot problem I must admit that
          I've used a tiny piece of "Nicorette" gum which
          is very dense. No one knew this till now because
          it is hidden under the pilot bracket ;>)

          The MTL Mogul not only looks great, my copy
          of it can pull 10 cars very well. Unfortunately it is
          out of production and very hard to find.

          The Marklin Casey Jones is another fine steamer
          and you should not hesitate to acquire it for your roster.

          The crown jewel of Z scale steam, so far, is
          the AC-12 Cab Forward by AZL (American Z Lines).
          Amazing detail. Requires the largest track radii
          you can model.

          Last, it would be recreant of me not to mention
          the AZL SP-WP 4-8-4 Daylight. It is by far the
          most photogenic of Z scale steamers. It is heavy
          and can pull a reasonable consist of passenger cars.

          As for the costs of Z scale steamers, I will only
          say that all are priced below their actual value. They
          are all "limited production" and anyone who has
          been involved in rare stamps, coins and works
          of art by master artists knows what this means.

          Start your roster ASAP !
          Best regardZ,
          Reynard Wellman
          http://www.micronart.com

          On Sep 4, 2007, at 7:51 PM, Steve wrote:

          > Guys, I am trying to get back into the hobby but I am a little lost
          > and
          > looking for some answers. I was somewhat discouraged many years ago by
          > the lack of US structures and steam locomotives. Now, I see a lot has
          > changed these days. I am interested in US steam only and would like to
          > ask you guys about some of the choices I have seen lately.
          > First, is the Marklin D&RGW "Bumble-bee" really out of scale as I have
          > read? Some seem to think it is closer to a Nn3 engine than Z.
          > Is the Casey Jones loco a good fit for Z?
          > How about the Aspen Models 10 wheeler conversion?
          > I am an old narrow gauge guy which would explain the need for vintage
          > steam.
          > Any body willing to offer a little advice please?
          > Thanks for any help.
          > Steve

        • hobbycraftsnmore
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 2007
            Hi Steve

            There also another choice for steam engines Pennzee sells a kit to
            convert a 4-6-2 Marklin sream into a PRR'2 Steamlined Loewy K4 Steam
            engine. I norally carry them but am out right now but show have them
            in a week or two with my next order, the order was already placed.
            Here is a link to my site with it:

            http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com/php3dp30mub0020/proddetail.php?prod=%
            23010015803KIT

            Just copy and paste it
            Also here a link to his Trailing Trucks for 2-8-2 and 4-6-2 from
            Pennzee

            http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com/php3dp30mub0020/proddetail.php?prod=%
            23010015800TRAILINGTRUCK

            just copy and past it as well.

            Sorry I'm out but, Pennzee had to produce more of the trailing truck
            to cover my oder and I had to wait a little longer for that but he
            told me there done and should be shipping in a week with the rest of
            it.
            So check them out and if your intrested let me know and I will let
            you know when there in.

            kevin
            Hobby Crafts N More
            http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com
          • Rocco
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5, 2007
              What's wrong with the scale of AZL's steam locos?

              --- Steve <pitkin1@...> wrote:

              > Guys, I am trying to get back into the hobby but I
              > am a little lost and
              > looking for some answers. I was somewhat
              > discouraged many years ago by
              > the lack of US structures and steam locomotives.
              > Now, I see a lot has
              > changed these days. I am interested in US steam only
              > and would like to
              > ask you guys about some of the choices I have seen
              > lately.
              > First, is the Marklin D&RGW "Bumble-bee" really out
              > of scale as I have
              > read? Some seem to think it is closer to a Nn3
              > engine than Z.
              > Is the Casey Jones loco a good fit for Z?
              > How about the Aspen Models 10 wheeler conversion?
              > I am an old narrow gauge guy which would explain
              > the need for vintage
              > steam.
              > Any body willing to offer a little advice please?
              > Thanks for any help.
              > Steve

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 5, 2007
                Thanks for the responses! It is nice to actually get some help.
                I am leaning towards the Casey Jones even if I have to buy the
                Diamond edition. I still have an airbrush to take care of that silver
                finish! I really have no use for all of the passenger cars that go
                with it except for maybe the combine. I suppose I could Eaby them!
                The Aspen kit I was looking at uses a Marklin BR 38 for the power
                and retails for $179.
                It has been 10+ years since I bought any Z scale at all. The last I
                purchased was the Alaska 4 car set. They never made it out of the box!
                Some of the workmanship I see in the photo section is very
                impressive, you guys do some fine work.
                I appreciate your help. I may be asking more questions pretty soon!
                Steve

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <pitkin1@...> wrote:

                > Guys, I am trying to get back into the hobby but I am a little lost
                and
                > looking for some answers. I was somewhat discouraged many years
                ago by
                > the lack of US structures and steam locomotives. Now, I see a lot
                has
                > changed these days. I am interested in US steam only and would like
                > ask you guys about some of the choices I have seen lately.
                > First, is the Marklin D&RGW "Bumble-bee" really out of scale as I
                have
                > read? Some seem to think it is closer to a Nn3 engine than Z.
                > Is the Casey Jones loco a good fit for Z?
                > How about the Aspen Models 10 wheeler conversion?
                > I am an old narrow gauge guy which would explain the need for
                vintage
                > steam.
                > Any body willing to offer a little advice please?
                > Thanks for any help.
                > Steve

              • Jim O'Connell
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 5, 2007
                  Rocco, I don't think anyone mentioned anything about AZL locos being
                  out of scale. The Marklin 'Bumble Bee' Mogul was mentioned as being
                  Nn3. Cheers, Jim CCRR