Re: Marklin Uncouplers

  • daledwardsmith
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 2 4:27 PM
      Thank you all for your help, Alan, Uwe (and as always, Jim)

      First, I have spent too long underneath the layout, and was in fact
      looking at a turnout when I saw the two blue wires. Sorry for the
      confusion. I will make it downtown to find a 7270 box this week.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:

      > Hello Dale,
      >
      > > Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three
      > > wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power
      > > distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and
      > > then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I
      > > missed something?
      >

      > For all Maerklin articles that have a yellow wire, those yellow wires
      > can be connected into one line that finally leads into the power pack.
      > To connect those you can use the 72090 connector plate.
      >
      > The button that controls an item is always installed in the blue line.
      >
      > The uncoupler has only two wires: one yellow, one blue.
      >
      > Only the turn outs/switches have three: one yellow, and two blue.
      >
      > I wouldn't use the 72730 for the uncoupler because the contact closes
      > permanent until you use the other button to open again. This can
      > destroy the solenoid in the uncoupler if the contact is closed to
      > long. For the uncoupler and the turn outs the 72720 is the correct
      > control box. Here the current is only flowing as long as the button is
      > pressed.
      >
      > The 72730 is used to open or close a circuit to a track section that
      > should be disconnected from the rest of the track. Here you can use
      > the 8588 track piece which has two blue wires, which are both
      > connected to the 72730 box. This box don't have a connection to the
      > power pack. The contact just closes a gap in one rail in the track
      > piece 8588.
      >

      > --
      > GreetingZ
      > Uwe

    • solo_clipper
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 3 8:45 AM
        Another solution is to use MicroTrains couplers. They too will
        uncouplemagnetically, but some don't like their appearance on European
        prototype trains. Of course others will argue that there is nothing
        less appealing than the appearance of Marklin couplers.
        In any event, the Marklin uncoupler just doesn't work.

        Best,
        -Rob

        I found this old thread and am in the same situation. Do I switch to
        MicroTrain couplers on my European prototype trains? Is it a tough job
        to do about 20 units? I want to use the MicroTrain sectional track and
        want an uncoupler track. If anybody has done this tell me of your
        experiances.
      • Ralph Scott
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 5 3:02 AM
          Try the jorger system - uses existing marklin couplers with tiny magnets attached and an electromagnet under the track - not cheap but 100% succesfull and easy to install.
          I use it in a fully automated end to end situation.
          Ralph