Re: [Z_Scale] Marklin Uncouplers

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2007
      On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:24:21 -0000
      "daledwardsmith" <daledwardsmith@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Can anyone tell me how to wire Marklin uncouplers? There are two
      > wires, a yellow (to the 7209 power distribution strip?) and a blue. I
      > have a momentary contact button to activate, but have no clue how to
      > wire and the uncoupler had now instructions. Any help would be greatly
      > appreciated.

      Its just a solenoid. So AC accessory power from the controller (*NOT*
      16v as with larger scales). Wire one side of the uncoupler direct to the
      controller and the other through a push-to-connect switch to the other
      side of the controller power.

      Momentary contact won't do - but if you are using the Marklin boxes they
      are not in fact momentary contact but provide power while you push the
      button, so yo can wire one to one side of a point control switch (and
      indeed another to the other side)
    • Dale Smith
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
        Dear Alan,

        Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I missed something?

        Thanks so much,
        Dale Smith

        Alan Cox <alan@...> wrote: On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:24:21 -0000
        "daledwardsmith" <daledwardsmith@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Can anyone tell me how to wire Marklin uncouplers? There are two
        > wires, a yellow (to the 7209 power distribution strip?) and a blue. I
        > have a momentary contact button to activate, but have no clue how to
        > wire and the uncoupler had now instructions. Any help would be greatly
        > appreciated.

        Its just a solenoid. So AC accessory power from the controller (*NOT*
        16v as with larger scales). Wire one side of the uncoupler direct to the
        controller and the other through a push-to-connect switch to the other
        side of the controller power.

        Momentary contact won't do - but if you are using the Marklin boxes they
        are not in fact momentary contact but provide power while you push the
        button, so yo can wire one to one side of a point control switch (and
        indeed another to the other side)

      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
          Hello Dale,

          > Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three
          > wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power
          > distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and
          > then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I
          > missed something?

          For all Maerklin articles that have a yellow wire, those yellow wires
          can be connected into one line that finally leads into the power pack.
          To connect those you can use the 72090 connector plate.

          The button that controls an item is always installed in the blue line.

          The uncoupler has only two wires: one yellow, one blue.

          Only the turn outs/switches have three: one yellow, and two blue.

          I wouldn't use the 72730 for the uncoupler because the contact closes
          permanent until you use the other button to open again. This can
          destroy the solenoid in the uncoupler if the contact is closed to
          long. For the uncoupler and the turn outs the 72720 is the correct
          control box. Here the current is only flowing as long as the button is
          pressed.

          The 72730 is used to open or close a circuit to a track section that
          should be disconnected from the rest of the track. Here you can use
          the 8588 track piece which has two blue wires, which are both
          connected to the 72730 box. This box don't have a connection to the
          power pack. The contact just closes a gap in one rail in the track
          piece 8588.

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
            On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 01:09:48 -0700 (PDT)
            Dale Smith <daledwardsmith@...> wrote:

            > Dear Alan,
            >
            > Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I missed something?

            Are you sure you have an uncoupler and not a circuit track ? Does it have
            a gray rectangular block on the top about 1cm or a much smaller black peg
            that can spring forward or back from centre ?
          • daledwardsmith
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
              Thank you all for your help, Alan, Uwe (and as always, Jim)

              First, I have spent too long underneath the layout, and was in fact
              looking at a turnout when I saw the two blue wires. Sorry for the
              confusion. I will make it downtown to find a 7270 box this week.

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:

              > Hello Dale,
              >
              > > Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three
              > > wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power
              > > distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and
              > > then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I
              > > missed something?
              >

              > For all Maerklin articles that have a yellow wire, those yellow wires
              > can be connected into one line that finally leads into the power pack.
              > To connect those you can use the 72090 connector plate.
              >
              > The button that controls an item is always installed in the blue line.
              >
              > The uncoupler has only two wires: one yellow, one blue.
              >
              > Only the turn outs/switches have three: one yellow, and two blue.
              >
              > I wouldn't use the 72730 for the uncoupler because the contact closes
              > permanent until you use the other button to open again. This can
              > destroy the solenoid in the uncoupler if the contact is closed to
              > long. For the uncoupler and the turn outs the 72720 is the correct
              > control box. Here the current is only flowing as long as the button is
              > pressed.
              >
              > The 72730 is used to open or close a circuit to a track section that
              > should be disconnected from the rest of the track. Here you can use
              > the 8588 track piece which has two blue wires, which are both
              > connected to the 72730 box. This box don't have a connection to the
              > power pack. The contact just closes a gap in one rail in the track
              > piece 8588.
              >

              > --
              > GreetingZ
              > Uwe

            • solo_clipper
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
                Another solution is to use MicroTrains couplers. They too will
                uncouplemagnetically, but some don't like their appearance on European
                prototype trains. Of course others will argue that there is nothing
                less appealing than the appearance of Marklin couplers.
                In any event, the Marklin uncoupler just doesn't work.

                Best,
                -Rob

                I found this old thread and am in the same situation. Do I switch to
                MicroTrain couplers on my European prototype trains? Is it a tough job
                to do about 20 units? I want to use the MicroTrain sectional track and
                want an uncoupler track. If anybody has done this tell me of your
                experiances.
              • Ralph Scott
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 5, 2007
                  Try the jorger system - uses existing marklin couplers with tiny magnets attached and an electromagnet under the track - not cheap but 100% succesfull and easy to install.
                  I use it in a fully automated end to end situation.
                  Ralph