Marklin Uncouplers

  • daledwardsmith
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2007
      Hi,

      Can anyone tell me how to wire Marklin uncouplers? There are two
      wires, a yellow (to the 7209 power distribution strip?) and a blue. I
      have a momentary contact button to activate, but have no clue how to
      wire and the uncoupler had now instructions. Any help would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Thanks
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 1, 2007
        Hello daledwardsmith,

        > Can anyone tell me how to wire Marklin uncouplers? There are two
        > wires, a yellow (to the 7209 power distribution strip?) and a blue. I
        > have a momentary contact button to activate, but have no clue how to
        > wire and the uncoupler had now instructions. Any help would be greatly
        > appreciated.

        the yellow goes back to the power source (if need be via the 7209
        strip to be connected with other uncouplers or switches), and the blue
        goes via a contact button to the other pole of the power source. If
        you have a Maerklin power pack it is the yellow and grey contacts of
        the power source. But any 10V AC power source will do.

        A hint:

        all yellow wires can be connected to go back to the power source,
        whereas the blue wires are always the one to go via the contact
        button. This goes for the uncouplers and the switches.

        Also have a look at the Z_Scale enZyclopedia at the groups website,
        and here under:

        Track - Tips on wiring Märklin track components

        and

        Electricity and Electronics - Marklin plugs and sockets: colour coding

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 1, 2007
          On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:24:21 -0000
          "daledwardsmith" <daledwardsmith@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Can anyone tell me how to wire Marklin uncouplers? There are two
          > wires, a yellow (to the 7209 power distribution strip?) and a blue. I
          > have a momentary contact button to activate, but have no clue how to
          > wire and the uncoupler had now instructions. Any help would be greatly
          > appreciated.

          Its just a solenoid. So AC accessory power from the controller (*NOT*
          16v as with larger scales). Wire one side of the uncoupler direct to the
          controller and the other through a push-to-connect switch to the other
          side of the controller power.

          Momentary contact won't do - but if you are using the Marklin boxes they
          are not in fact momentary contact but provide power while you push the
          button, so yo can wire one to one side of a point control switch (and
          indeed another to the other side)
        • Dale Smith
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
            Dear Alan,

            Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I missed something?

            Thanks so much,
            Dale Smith

            Alan Cox <alan@...> wrote: On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:24:21 -0000

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
              Hello Dale,

              > Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three
              > wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power
              > distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and
              > then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I
              > missed something?

              For all Maerklin articles that have a yellow wire, those yellow wires
              can be connected into one line that finally leads into the power pack.
              To connect those you can use the 72090 connector plate.

              The button that controls an item is always installed in the blue line.

              The uncoupler has only two wires: one yellow, one blue.

              Only the turn outs/switches have three: one yellow, and two blue.

              I wouldn't use the 72730 for the uncoupler because the contact closes
              permanent until you use the other button to open again. This can
              destroy the solenoid in the uncoupler if the contact is closed to
              long. For the uncoupler and the turn outs the 72720 is the correct
              control box. Here the current is only flowing as long as the button is
              pressed.

              The 72730 is used to open or close a circuit to a track section that
              should be disconnected from the rest of the track. Here you can use
              the 8588 track piece which has two blue wires, which are both
              connected to the 72730 box. This box don't have a connection to the
              power pack. The contact just closes a gap in one rail in the track
              piece 8588.

              --
              GreetingZ
              Uwe
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
                On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 01:09:48 -0700 (PDT)
                Dale Smith <daledwardsmith@...> wrote:

                > Dear Alan,
                >
                > Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I missed something?

                Are you sure you have an uncoupler and not a circuit track ? Does it have
                a gray rectangular block on the top about 1cm or a much smaller black peg
                that can spring forward or back from centre ?
              • daledwardsmith
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
                  Thank you all for your help, Alan, Uwe (and as always, Jim)

                  First, I have spent too long underneath the layout, and was in fact
                  looking at a turnout when I saw the two blue wires. Sorry for the
                  confusion. I will make it downtown to find a 7270 box this week.

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Dale,
                  >
                  > > Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three
                  > > wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power
                  > > distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and
                  > > then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I
                  > > missed something?
                  >

                  > For all Maerklin articles that have a yellow wire, those yellow wires
                  > can be connected into one line that finally leads into the power pack.
                  > To connect those you can use the 72090 connector plate.
                  >
                  > The button that controls an item is always installed in the blue line.
                  >
                  > The uncoupler has only two wires: one yellow, one blue.
                  >
                  > Only the turn outs/switches have three: one yellow, and two blue.
                  >
                  > I wouldn't use the 72730 for the uncoupler because the contact closes
                  > permanent until you use the other button to open again. This can
                  > destroy the solenoid in the uncoupler if the contact is closed to
                  > long. For the uncoupler and the turn outs the 72720 is the correct
                  > control box. Here the current is only flowing as long as the button is
                  > pressed.
                  >
                  > The 72730 is used to open or close a circuit to a track section that
                  > should be disconnected from the rest of the track. Here you can use
                  > the 8588 track piece which has two blue wires, which are both
                  > connected to the 72730 box. This box don't have a connection to the
                  > power pack. The contact just closes a gap in one rail in the track
                  > piece 8588.
                  >

                  > --
                  > GreetingZ
                  > Uwe

                • solo_clipper
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
                    Another solution is to use MicroTrains couplers. They too will
                    uncouplemagnetically, but some don't like their appearance on European
                    prototype trains. Of course others will argue that there is nothing
                    less appealing than the appearance of Marklin couplers.
                    In any event, the Marklin uncoupler just doesn't work.

                    Best,
                    -Rob

                    I found this old thread and am in the same situation. Do I switch to
                    MicroTrain couplers on my European prototype trains? Is it a tough job
                    to do about 20 units? I want to use the MicroTrain sectional track and
                    want an uncoupler track. If anybody has done this tell me of your
                    experiances.
                  • Ralph Scott
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 5, 2007
                      Try the jorger system - uses existing marklin couplers with tiny magnets attached and an electromagnet under the track - not cheap but 100% succesfull and easy to install.
                      I use it in a fully automated end to end situation.
                      Ralph