Another LHS drops... (and Internet Store)

  • miked_r
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
      I just got an email blast from Jan Eisen at Eisenbahn Trains in Michigan. He is closing shop.
      Mainly, since he is a Marklin only dealer and the German *bayers are sellng so low, he can't
      compete.

      I didn't see anythng on the site just yet.

      Sad to hear.

      All Z Bezt,

      Michael
    • Jim O'Connell
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
        Miked_r, Sad indeed. LHS closing is a bummer for all of us. This is a
        logical outcome, however, for Marklin dealers here in North America.
        Model shops all over are, for the most part, just making it. My LHS
        sells Marklin Z and 95% of his Z sales are in Nov.-Dec. time frame. I
        think we all talked Aaron out of adding Marklin to his shop. Orders
        only I would think. Carrying the inventory is tough on LHSs. My LHS
        still has his MTL starter set on prominent display, going on 4 years
        now! Of course he still has it because it has no powerpack. Xmas
        shoppers can't be bothered. As much as I'm in his store I cannot get
        him to expand his Z line until MTL solves the powerpack issue. On the
        other hand his year old copy of Ztrack magazine featuring the old 2'x3'
        CCRR is still there and quite dog-eared. I will get him this months
        issue of Ztrack this time featuring the New CCRR and hopefully we may
        get some Z converts that way. I just received from Z Train Things a
        notice that all MTL sellers are having their standing orders cut by 30%
        again this month?? If this is a new marketing ploy by MTL, never a
        rock star in marketing in my humble opinion, then it would seem local
        train outlet stores are in for more trouble. Only ebayers will
        ultimately make money. I'm no economist, I just play one here on this
        site. Cheers, Jim CCRR

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "miked_r" <miked_r@...> wrote:

        > I just got an email blast from Jan Eisen at Eisenbahn Trains in
        Michigan. He is closing shop.
        > Mainly, since he is a Marklin only dealer and the German *bayers are
        sellng so low, he can't
        > compete.
        >
        > I didn't see anythng on the site just yet.
        >
        > Sad to hear.
        >
        > All Z Bezt,
        >
        > Michael

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
          Jim,
          You mis quoted me on the 30%. I said that last month on (one) car, the
          Menasha box car, that my order was cut by 70% and I believe other dealers
          also had their orders cut, but I do NOT know by how much. MTL is not
          cutting everyone's orders so don't everyone panic and spread rumors that
          aren't true.

          For all I know, there won't be any shortages this month, (let's hope so
          anyway)

          As far as the hobby shop still having the MTL set, I don't think the problem
          lies with the set not having a power pack. Hobby shops often sell for full
          retail which keeps the price up there. Online dealers and Ebay sellers
          offer discounts because we don't have the overhead to contend with. Hobby
          shops have to pay for hired help, worker's comp, disability, insurance,
          lights, etc. so they are forced to charge more to make a profit. Just ask
          Aaron.....he knows all too well.

          May I suggest two possibilities for that lonesome MTL set that is collecting
          dust? First, let the store owner lower the price and see if it will sell.
          It would be better to sell for less than have that money just sitting there
          collecting dust. Seems to me the store owner isn't thinking too clearly on
          this one. I'll bet he has other items that just sit for long periods of
          time.

          Second, how about suggesting to the store owner that you build a small Z
          layout and show it at the store. The MTL set can be sold WITH the layout as
          a package deal. Store owner sells his product, you make money on your
          layout, and free advertising for Z scale and the hobby in general. BTW,
          what is wrong with having a MTL power pack sitting right next to the starter
          set? I don't think inclusive power packs are the answer to all of Z's woes.

          Thoughts to ponder, but everyone take notice that MTL is NOT cutting orders
          arbitrarily.

          Loren

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
            Loren, Oops, sorry about that. I guess I'll have to go to that
            remedial reading class down at the community college. Actually I was
            probably more distraught at the fact that another hobby/train store
            has bitten the dust. What is San Diego something like the 7th largest
            metropolitan area in the country? We only have 3 train stores and
            only 2 carry any Z at all. I feel their pain. I don't know the
            answers, I just want everyone to have a 'fair go'. Cheers, Jim CCRR

            > Jim,
            > You mis quoted me on the 30%. I said that last month on (one) car,
            the
            > Menasha box car, that my order was cut by 70% and I believe other
            dealers
            > also had their orders cut, but I do NOT know by how much. MTL is
            not
            > cutting everyone's orders so don't everyone panic and spread rumors
            that
            > aren't true.
            >
            > For all I know, there won't be any shortages this month, (let's
            hope so
            > anyway)
            >
            > As far as the hobby shop still having the MTL set, I don't think
            the problem
            > lies with the set not having a power pack. Hobby shops often sell
            for full
            > retail which keeps the price up there. Online dealers and Ebay
            sellers
            > offer discounts because we don't have the overhead to contend
            with. Hobby
            > shops have to pay for hired help, worker's comp, disability,
            insurance,
            > lights, etc. so they are forced to charge more to make a profit.
            Just ask
            > Aaron.....he knows all too well.
            >
            > May I suggest two possibilities for that lonesome MTL set that is
            collecting
            > dust? First, let the store owner lower the price and see if it
            will sell.
            > It would be better to sell for less than have that money just
            sitting there
            > collecting dust. Seems to me the store owner isn't thinking too
            clearly on
            > this one. I'll bet he has other items that just sit for long
            periods of
            > time.
            >
            > Second, how about suggesting to the store owner that you build a
            small Z
            > layout and show it at the store. The MTL set can be sold WITH the
            layout as
            > a package deal. Store owner sells his product, you make money on
            your
            > layout, and free advertising for Z scale and the hobby in
            general. BTW,
            > what is wrong with having a MTL power pack sitting right next to
            the starter
            > set? I don't think inclusive power packs are the answer to all of
            Z's woes.

            > Thoughts to ponder, but everyone take notice that MTL is NOT
            cutting orders
            > arbitrarily.
            >
            > Loren

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
              No problem Jim......I just didn't want to start getting letter bombs in my
              mail box and garbage on my front lawn :o)

              What did you think about my idea of you building a small layout and having
              the HS show it with a 4 Sale sign on it? Couldn't hurt business I should
              think. Your layout should cause some eyes to pop and spark lots of interest
              in Z scale.

              I have appointed you as the official "Let's wake up San Diego to the joys of
              Z scale model rail roading ambassador"
              Now get to work!

              Loren

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
> [...]

                clearly on
                > this one. I'll bet he has other items that just sit for long
                periods of
                > time.
                >
                > Second, how about suggesting to the store owner that you build a
                small Z
                > layout and show it at the store. The MTL set can be sold WITH the
                layout as
                > a package deal. Store owner sells his product, you make money on
                your
                > layout, and free advertising for Z scale and the hobby in
                general. BTW,
                > what is wrong with having a MTL power pack sitting right next to
                the starter
                > set? I don't think inclusive power packs are the answer to all of
                Z's woes.

                > Thoughts to ponder, but everyone take notice that MTL is NOT

              • Don Avila
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
                  An interesting comment on his site is "We are the fastest growing
                  Marklin dealer in Michigan" or words to that effect...

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Miked_r, Sad indeed. LHS closing is a bummer for all of us. This is a
                  > logical outcome, however, for Marklin dealers here in North America.
                  > Model shops all over are, for the most part, just making it. My LHS
                  > sells Marklin Z and 95% of his Z sales are in Nov.-Dec. time frame. I
                  > think we all talked Aaron out of adding Marklin to his shop. Orders
                  > only I would think. Carrying the inventory is tough on LHSs. My LHS
                  > still has his MTL starter set on prominent display, going on 4 years
                  > now! Of course he still has it because it has no powerpack. Xmas
                  > shoppers can't be bothered. As much as I'm in his store I cannot get
                  > him to expand his Z line until MTL solves the powerpack issue. On the
                  > other hand his year old copy of Ztrack magazine featuring the old 2'x3'
                  > CCRR is still there and quite dog-eared. I will get him this months
                  > issue of Ztrack this time featuring the New CCRR and hopefully we may
                  > get some Z converts that way. I just received from Z Train Things a
                  > notice that all MTL sellers are having their standing orders cut by 30%
                  > again this month?? If this is a new marketing ploy by MTL, never a
                  > rock star in marketing in my humble opinion, then it would seem local
                  > train outlet stores are in for more trouble. Only ebayers will
                  > ultimately make money. I'm no economist, I just play one here on this
                  > site. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                  >
                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "miked_r" <miked_r@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I just got an email blast from Jan Eisen at Eisenbahn Trains in
                  > Michigan. He is closing shop.
                  > > Mainly, since he is a Marklin only dealer and the German *bayers are
                  > sellng so low, he can't
                  > > compete.
                  > >
                  > > I didn't see anythng on the site just yet.
                  > >
                  > > Sad to hear.
                  > >
                  > > All Z Bezt,
                  > >
                  > > Michael

                • non
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
                    Just to let my Gulf Coast Z scalers know, I am now a Marklin dealers.
                    Also, want to let my internet customers know, want your feedback on
                    redesigning my website to help you better.

                    Aaron Poscovsky
                    http://www.zscalemodeltrains.com
                    AJ Model Trains
                    zscalemodeltrains.com
                    10910 Katy Freeway
                    Houston, Texas 77043
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

                    > An interesting comment on his site is "We are the fastest growing
                    > Marklin dealer in Michigan" or words to that effect...
                    >

                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Miked_r, Sad indeed. LHS closing is a bummer for all of us. This
                    is a
                    > > logical outcome, however, for Marklin dealers here in North America.
                    > > Model shops all over are, for the most part, just making it. My LHS
                    > > sells Marklin Z and 95% of his Z sales are in Nov.-Dec. time frame. I
                    > > think we all talked Aaron out of adding Marklin to his shop. Orders
                    > > only I would think. Carrying the inventory is tough on LHSs. My LHS
                    > > still has his MTL starter set on prominent display, going on 4 years
                    > > now! Of course he still has it because it has no powerpack. Xmas
                    > > shoppers can't be bothered. As much as I'm in his store I cannot get
                    > > him to expand his Z line until MTL solves the powerpack issue. On
                    the
                    > > other hand his year old copy of Ztrack magazine featuring the old
                    2'x3'
                    > > CCRR is still there and quite dog-eared. I will get him this months
                    > > issue of Ztrack this time featuring the New CCRR and hopefully we may
                    > > get some Z converts that way. I just received from Z Train Things a
                    > > notice that all MTL sellers are having their standing orders cut
                    by 30%
                    > > again this month?? If this is a new marketing ploy by MTL, never a
                    > > rock star in marketing in my humble opinion, then it would seem local
                    > > train outlet stores are in for more trouble. Only ebayers will
                    > > ultimately make money. I'm no economist, I just play one here on this
                    > > site. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                    > >
                    > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "miked_r" <miked_r@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I just got an email blast from Jan Eisen at Eisenbahn Trains in
                    > > Michigan. He is closing shop.
                    > > > Mainly, since he is a Marklin only dealer and the German *bayers
                    are
                    > > sellng so low, he can't
                    > > > compete.
                    > > >
                    > > > I didn't see anythng on the site just yet.
                    > > >
                    > > > Sad to hear.
                    > > >
                    > > > All Z Bezt,
                    > > >
                    > > > Michael

                  • non
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
                      Last year I built a nice L shape Z scale layout for my store. People
                      loved it. I sold more z scale with a layout running.
                      I have plans starting this weekend to build a 3 x 3 z scale to sit on
                      top of a display.
                      Now, the fact that model train staores in Houston, Texas face. 9 out
                      of 10 customer that call me are come into my store, want HO scale
                      trains. The market here in Houston is HO scale.
                      I am only a Z and N scale store. I wish I could record the remarks
                      when people here that the store only carries N and Z scale.

                      Aaron
                      zscalemodeltrains.com

                    • Jim O'Connell
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
                        Aaron, I'm a bit surprised to find out you are a Marklin dealer. You
                        asked us our opinions on the subject and if I recall virtually every
                        message you got back said, "Don't do it." "Not good business
                        practice." "No". And then you did it? Why did you ask us in the first
                        place? I know English is not you first language, but in many languages
                        around the globe no means no. Good luck to you. With the news that
                        the 'fastest growing Marklin dealer in Michigan' is closing should mean
                        something to you. Maybe not. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                      • non
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
                          Yes, everyone said not to do it. But, I only purchased a few starter
                          set to display for the holiday in the store. The Marklin starter sets
                          look great to customer that just want a Z scale set ready to go.
                          After these are sold, only going to take orders for Marklin items as
                          customer need them.
                          Non-model train customer-, that just buy at the Christmas season, love
                          big looking sets. Marklin love to put their set in big boxes.
                          Yes, I did listen and I am glad I heard whate veryone said. Like I
                          said, only stokcing a few starter sets for the holiday, and can now
                          specail order for customer that just need a car or loco for their
                          collection.
                          Another reason, Marklin is a Trix and LGB supplier. I have N
                          scalers that want be at times to get them a Trix loco or other items.
                          So, now I can order, what customer want.
                          People look at the Micro-train z scale set and 9 at 10 pass. I
                          think it is the display of the items in the box.
                          Also, Marklin lower the start up to be a dealers. And I am trying
                          to get customers in the Gulf Coast area to shop with me. The other 6
                          stores, are big in HO and O scale items. I want people to say, hey
                          that AJ Model Trains (zscalemodeltrain.com) has Z scaleitems, he can
                          get you Marklin, AZL, or Micro-Trains.

                          Aaron

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
                            Aaron, Good explanation. You had some of us worried. We are all like a
                            family here whether we like it or not. No one would like to see your
                            hobby shop fail like the Michigan store. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                          • Kez
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
                              In just the last 3 months, we've lost the only two hobby stores that I ever
                              frequented anymore (R.I.P. Grandad's and TSG), and that leaves ONE in the DC
                              metro are that carries Z (full retail). Looks like I'll be an internet only
                              buyer for sure now.

                              To be completely truthful, Grandad's is actually reopening somewhere in West
                              Virginia, but that puts it pretty well out of reach for regular visits.

                              Signs of the times, I'm afraid.............global economy and all, you know??

                              Bryan Keyser
                              Vienna, VA
                              DC Z-Bend Track

                              Miked_r, Sad indeed. LHS closing is a bummer for all of us. This is a
                              logical outcome, however, for Marklin dealers here in North America.
                              Model shops all over are, for the most part, just making it. My LHS
                              sells Marklin Z and 95% of his Z sales are in Nov.-Dec. time frame. I
                              think we all talked Aaron out of adding Marklin to his shop. Orders
                              only I would think. Carrying the inventory is tough on LHSs. My LHS
                              still has his MTL starter set on prominent display, going on 4 years
                              now! Of course he still has it because it has no powerpack. Xmas
                              shoppers can't be bothered. As much as I'm in his store I cannot get
                              him to expand his Z line until MTL solves the powerpack issue. On the
                              other hand his year old copy of Ztrack magazine featuring the old 2'x3'
                              CCRR is still there and quite dog-eared. I will get him this months
                              issue of Ztrack this time featuring the New CCRR and hopefully we may
                              get some Z converts that way. I just received from Z Train Things a
                              notice that all MTL sellers are having their standing orders cut by 30%
                              again this month?? If this is a new marketing ploy by MTL, never a
                              rock star in marketing in my humble opinion, then it would seem local
                              train outlet stores are in for more trouble. Only ebayers will
                              ultimately make money. I'm no economist, I just play one here on this
                              site. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "miked_r" <miked_r@...> wrote:

                              > I just got an email blast from Jan Eisen at Eisenbahn Trains in
                              Michigan. He is closing shop.
                              > Mainly, since he is a Marklin only dealer and the German *bayers are
                              sellng so low, he can't
                              > compete.
                              >
                              > I didn't see anythng on the site just yet.
                              >
                              > Sad to hear.
                              >
                              > All Z Bezt,
                              >
                              > Michael

                            • Robert Ray
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 31, 2007
                                Kez wrote:

                                > Signs of the times, I'm afraid.............global economy and all,
                                you know??

                                Yes, but there are new ways to grow the hobby popping up. It might be
                                the end of train stores, but there will always be hobby and craft
                                shops to get supplies from.

                                I see venues like Youtube as up and coming ways to find out about Z
                                Scale and other trains. It's all in the meta tags. If you put trick
                                keywords like "Fast" "Model" "Toy" "Scale" "Trains" "Z" "Computer"
                                Controlled" "DCC" "Remote" and stuff like that, then your videos will
                                show up in searches.

                                Kids will find them, and interest will be sparked!

                                Just have to keep up with the times, and do what we can to help grow
                                the hobby!

                                -Robert Ray
                              • Kez
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 31, 2007
                                  Absolutely true Robert. As with all apects of life, we must constantly adapt to
                                  the ever changing world around us.

                                  Your ideas about YouTube are right on the money. With the right exposure, we
                                  may be able to grow this little hobby of ours after all.

                                  Keep up the great work and positive attitude. You inspire us all, Robert.

                                  Bryan Keyser

                                  > > Signs of the times, I'm afraid.............global economy and all,
                                  > you know??
                                  > >

                                  > Yes, but there are new ways to grow the hobby popping up. It might be
                                  > the end of train stores, but there will always be hobby and craft
                                  > shops to get supplies from.
                                  >
                                  > I see venues like Youtube as up and coming ways to find out about Z
                                  > Scale and other trains. It's all in the meta tags. If you put trick
                                  > keywords like "Fast" "Model" "Toy" "Scale" "Trains" "Z" "Computer"
                                  > Controlled" "DCC" "Remote" and stuff like that, then your videos will
                                  > show up in searches.
                                  >
                                  > Kids will find them, and interest will be sparked!
                                  >
                                  > Just have to keep up with the times, and do what we can to help grow
                                  > the hobby!
                                  >
                                  > -Robert Ray
                                • non
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                                    More trains shows, mae more people intertested in the hobby. Peole
                                    only see trains at Chirstmas time. It does take a large trains show.
                                    Get a few friends together, and work out a dea at a shopping mall
                                    large or small to run your trains.
                                    It can turn into a lot of fun and your meet more people interted in
                                    the hobby.
                                    The main thing to remember is "Have Fun with our hobby" run trains,
                                    enjoy adding items to your layout. We can't control the world, but we
                                    can enjoy the things in life that bring happiness to ourself and
                                    family.
                                    Aaron
                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Ray" <pray59@...> wrote:

                                    > Kez wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Signs of the times, I'm afraid.............global economy and all,
                                    > you know??
                                    > >

                                    > Yes, but there are new ways to grow the hobby popping up. It might
                                    be
                                    > the end of train stores, but there will always be hobby and craft
                                    > shops to get supplies from.
                                    >
                                    > I see venues like Youtube as up and coming ways to find out about Z
                                    > Scale and other trains. It's all in the meta tags. If you put trick
                                    > keywords like "Fast" "Model" "Toy" "Scale" "Trains" "Z" "Computer"
                                    > Controlled" "DCC" "Remote" and stuff like that, then your videos
                                    will
                                    > show up in searches.
                                    >
                                    > Kids will find them, and interest will be sparked!
                                    >
                                    > Just have to keep up with the times, and do what we can to help grow
                                    > the hobby!
                                    >
                                    > -Robert Ray

                                  • Ellsworth Geib
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                                      Kez,

                                      Actually Kez, there are 2 stores in Southern Maryland that carry Z. One is in Waldorf and
                                      the other is in Leonardtown (Marklin). For you though, Martinsburg, WV is almost as close.

                                      Ell Geib
                                      Newburg, MD
                                      DC Z-Bend Track

                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Kez" <bkeyser@...> wrote:

                                      > In just the last 3 months, we've lost the only two hobby stores that I ever
                                      > frequented anymore (R.I.P. Grandad's and TSG), and that leaves ONE in the DC
                                      > metro are that carries Z (full retail). Looks like I'll be an internet only
                                      > buyer for sure now.
                                      >
                                      > To be completely truthful, Grandad's is actually reopening somewhere in West
                                      > Virginia, but that puts it pretty well out of reach for regular visits.
                                      >
                                      > Signs of the times, I'm afraid.............global economy and all, you know??
                                      >
                                      > Bryan Keyser
                                      > Vienna, VA
                                      > DC Z-Bend Track

                                    • Allan Miller
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                                        Don't forget Stoneleigh Hobby, just north of Towson/Baltimore. I
                                        haven't been there in a while, but he stocks--or did stock--more
                                        Marklin than anyone in the area.

                                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ellsworth Geib" <geib@...> wrote:

                                        > Kez,
                                        >
                                        > Actually Kez, there are 2 stores in Southern Maryland that carry Z.
                                        One is in Waldorf and
                                        > the other is in Leonardtown (Marklin). For you though, Martinsburg,
                                        WV is almost as close.

                                        > Ell Geib
                                        > Newburg, MD
                                        > DC Z-Bend Track
                                        >
                                        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Kez" <bkeyser@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > In just the last 3 months, we've lost the only two hobby stores
                                        that I ever
                                        > > frequented anymore (R.I.P. Grandad's and TSG), and that leaves ONE
                                        in the DC
                                        > > metro are that carries Z (full retail). Looks like I'll be an
                                        internet only
                                        > > buyer for sure now.
                                        > >
                                        > > To be completely truthful, Grandad's is actually reopening
                                        somewhere in West
                                        > > Virginia, but that puts it pretty well out of reach for regular
                                        visits.

                                        > > Signs of the times, I'm afraid.............global economy and all,
                                        you know??

                                        > > Bryan Keyser
                                        > > Vienna, VA
                                        > > DC Z-Bend Track

                                      • Randall Smidt
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                                          Yes, but only Marklin. When that's what I'm looking for, that's a good source, particularly the quarterly sales.

                                          randy