Re: [Z_Scale] Z Scale Easter Egg

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
      Hi John,

      RailPictures.Net

      This is quite a jewel of contemporary and vintage
      images of trains and train related subjects!

      What I really love about this site is you don't have
      to "sign in" or do a dumb password (that I have to
      look up every time ;>) Just an open area of rich,
      colorful shots of trains and infrastructure.

      Thanks for sharing this link with us.

      As for the "Easter Egg", it's a long ways to April 2008.
      Hope I understood what you are referring to...

      Reynard
      On Aug 27, 2007, at 9:16 PM, John Cubbin wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > We've got a cool little Easter Egg from Micro-Trains this week over at
      > the Ztrains Coffee Break feature. Stop by, click, enjoy
      >
      > John
      > http://www.ztrains.com

    • John Duino
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
        > As for the "Easter Egg", it's a long ways to April 2008.
        > Hope I understood what you are referring to...

        Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't there already 2 or 3 other
        manufacturers making those? But, it's an interesting new market for MTL!

        John
      • non
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
          "Easter Egg" in z scale!
          Will they be in mix colors? I love the mix color Easter Egg!
          Aaron
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Duino" <jduino@...> wrote:

          > > As for the "Easter Egg", it's a long ways to April 2008.
          > > Hope I understood what you are referring to...
          > >
          > Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't there already 2 or 3 other
          > manufacturers making those? But, it's an interesting new market for MTL!
          >
          > John

        • ronaldjhurley
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
            ummmm, I think the loading dock from MT that flashes up when you
            visit the site.... doesn't look much like an egg though John! but
            it is nice surprise ron

          • fredshark@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
              "A virtual Easter egg is a hidden message or feature in an object such as a movie, book, CD, DVD, computer program, or video game. The term draws a parallel with the custom of the Easter egg hunt observed in many western nations." -- wikipedia.org

              In the case of the ZTrains.com coffee break link to RailPictures.net, the "Easter egg" is the announcement of a MTL Z-scale loading dock kit preceding the opening of RailPictures.net home page. A double entendre would be releasing the kit around Easter 2008, if the kit is indeed released at that time.

              I hope this helps.

              Cheers,

              Jeffrey Walsh
            • Reynard Wellman
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
                Hello John Duino,
                I still don't get it. Making what? Are we looking at
                the same thing? I thought John Cubbin was referring
                to the "RailPictures.Net" and I don't see any eggs anywhere.

                Lost in cyberspace...
                Reynard
                On Aug 28, 2007, at 8:40 AM, John Duino wrote:

                > > As for the "Easter Egg", it's a long ways to April 2008.
                > > Hope I understood what you are referring to...
                > >
                > Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't there already 2 or 3 other
                > manufacturers making those? But, it's an interesting new market for
                > MTL!
                >
                > John

              • Zane H. Healy
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
                  > > Hello John Duino,
                  > > I still don't get it. Making what? Are we looking at
                  > > the same thing? I thought John Cubbin was referring
                  > > to the "RailPictures.Net" and I don't see any eggs anywhere.

                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
                  > ummmm, I think the loading dock from MT that flashes up when you
                  > visit the site.... doesn't look much like an egg though John! but
                  > it is nice surprise ron

                  I don't know about on slower computers, but on my Mac it flashed by so fast
                  I couldn't really see it.

                  The RailPictures.Net site is pretty cool!

                  Zane
                • Reynard Wellman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
                    Hi Jeffrey,

                    Yes, I saw and ignored the loading dock ... A wood loading dock
                    has to be one of the easiest things any serious model railroader
                    can make from scored basswood and thin styrene strips, in
                    fact I built one when I was a pre-teen back in the stone age.
                    For about $3.00 dollars, you can build about
                    twenty Z scale ones in two evenings ;>)

                    That's the fun of model railroading!

                    regardZ,
                    Reynard

                    On Aug 28, 2007, at 12:52 PM, fredshark@... wrote:

                    > "A virtual Easter egg is a hidden message or feature in an object
                    > such as a movie, book, CD, DVD, computer program, or video game.
                    > The term draws a parallel with the custom of the Easter egg hunt
                    > observed in many western nations." -- wikipedia.org
                    >
                    > In the case of the ZTrains.com coffee break link to
                    > RailPictures.net, the "Easter egg" is the announcement of a MTL Z-
                    > scale loading dock kit preceding the opening of RailPictures.net
                    > home page. A double entendre would be releasing the kit around
                    > Easter 2008, if the kit is indeed released at that time.
                    >
                    > I hope this helps.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Jeffrey Walsh

                  • Ellsworth Geib
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 29, 2007
                      Zane,

                      The pic did not last long on my computer either (also a fairly fast Mac). I don't think it had
                      anything to do with the computer though, the page was probably set to diaplay only for a
                      second or two. After the RailPictures.net page came up, I simply clicked on the Page Back
                      button and the MTL loading dock page showed up and stayed.

                      Ell Geib

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                      > > > Hello John Duino,
                      > > > I still don't get it. Making what? Are we looking at
                      > > > the same thing? I thought John Cubbin was referring
                      > > > to the "RailPictures.Net" and I don't see any eggs anywhere.
                      >
                      > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Reynard Wellman <micron@> wrote:
                      > > ummmm, I think the loading dock from MT that flashes up when you
                      > > visit the site.... doesn't look much like an egg though John! but
                      > > it is nice surprise ron
                      >
                      > I don't know about on slower computers, but on my Mac it flashed by so fast
                      > I couldn't really see it.
                      >
                      > The RailPictures.Net site is pretty cool!
                      >
                      > Zane

                    • Zane H. Healy
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 29, 2007
                        At 3:19 PM +0000 8/29/07, Ellsworth Geib wrote:
                        >Zane,
                        >
                        >The pic did not last long on my computer either (also a fairly fast
                        >Mac). I don't think it had
                        >anything to do with the computer though, the page was probably set
                        >to diaplay only for a
                        >second or two. After the RailPictures.net page came up, I simply
                        >clicked on the Page Back
                        >button and the MTL loading dock page showed up and stayed.

                        Thanks for the tip, I didn't even think to hit the back button. I
                        agree with people, the loading dock is pretty basic and easy to
                        scratch build, what is more interesting is the "more kits to come".

                        Zane

                        | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
                      • vincentgoudreault
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 30, 2007
                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ellsworth Geib" <geib@...> wrote:

                          > Zane,
                          >
                          > The pic did not last long on my computer either (also a fairly fast
                          Mac). I don't think it had
                          > anything to do with the computer though, the page was probably set
                          to diaplay only for a
                          > second or two. After the RailPictures.net page came up, I simply
                          clicked on the Page Back
                          > button and the MTL loading dock page showed up and stayed.
                          >
                          > Ell Geib

                          Or you can try directly accessing the picture itself (instead of the
                          html page that calls it with a time delay before switching over to
                          another page):

                          http://www.ztrains.com/sponsor/sponsor.gif

                          CBVG