"Track Strength Analysis and Recording" truck

  • Karin Svenson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20, 2007
      Hi gang,

      We were driving home from lunch with Loren's dad when I spotted a large
      truck with a logo of a piece of railroad track and the words written
      over it "Track Strength Analysis and Recording". Neither Loren nor I
      have ever seen such an animal before. Sure wish I had my camera. This
      big box, on what looked like maybe a Kenworth cab, had all sorts of
      unusual gadgetry surrounding its base. Unfortunately we had the green
      light and had to go but at least I got somewhat of a look-see, just
      enough to know that I wanted to know more. Just as you can imagine him
      saying it Loren suggested I ask you wise ones on the forum if you know
      about this beast, and if so would you kindly educate this curious
      female railroader? Loren is downstairs trying to finish a rush job for
      a dentist and had he been able he would have described it better. From
      now on the camera goes with me everywhere... even to lunch!

      Thanks,
      Mrs. Karin Snyder
      (whoo hoo, and lovin' it too!)
    • Karin Svenson

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 20, 2007
          A TSAR system is a high rail truck with a special "loaded" axle that used
          horizontal and vertical hydraulic rams to test rail strength (and ability to
          hold gauge) under applied load. There are a number of feedback apparatus and
          recording equipment to record the results.
          Dan S.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 20, 2007
            My previous post is assuming that you are talking about something like this:

            _http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/hollandGRPS151.jpg_
            (http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/hollandGRPS151.jpg)

            Dan S

          • Don Avila
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 20, 2007
              Dan:

              That's good. Not only did Karin get her answer, she even got the
              missing photo.

              ...don

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, dpstripe@... wrote:

              > A TSAR system is a high rail truck with a special "loaded" axle that
              used
              > horizontal and vertical hydraulic rams to test rail strength (and
              ability to
              > hold gauge) under applied load. There are a number of feedback
              apparatus and
              > recording equipment to record the results.
              > Dan S.

            • Don Avila
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 20, 2007
                Dan:

                That's good. Not only did Karin get her answer, she even got the
                missing photo.

                ...don

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, dpstripe@... wrote:

                > A TSAR system is a high rail truck with a special "loaded" axle that
                used
                > horizontal and vertical hydraulic rams to test rail strength (and
                ability to
                > hold gauge) under applied load. There are a number of feedback
                apparatus and
                > recording equipment to record the results.
                > Dan S.

              • Zane H. Healy
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 20, 2007
                  At 11:38 PM +0000 7/20/07, Karin Svenson wrote:
                  >a dentist and had he been able he would have described it better. From
                  >now on the camera goes with me everywhere... even to lunch!

                  This is the *ONLY* reason I wouldn't mind having a modern cell phone,
                  but I'm not giving up my 8+ year old Nokia model until forced to (new
                  phones are to small & delicate). Though probably a better
                  alternative one be one of those nice *tiny* highres cameras with a
                  good zoom that you can easily slip in a pocket if you can find one
                  worth having. We have a Nikon D70 and have been wanting to get a
                  tiny camera for my wife to put in her purse. We never have the
                  camera when we see a train. :^(

                  >Thanks,
                  >Mrs. Karin Snyder
                  >(whoo hoo, and lovin' it too!)