MT Turnout

  • Yuji Kuwabara
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hello,

      Let me ask some questions.

      I want to know about Micro Trains Micro-Track turnout electrical
      routing.
      Is it "automatic" electrical routing? (Only switched direction is
      electrified).
      Or does it need electrical gap and separate feeder for both direction?

      Is the remote turnout drive motor compatible with Marklin (AC 10V) ?

      Regards.

      Yuji Kuwabara
    • Jim O'Connell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
        Yuji, The MTL turnouts, like the Marklin turnouts, are all live. You
        will need to electrical gaps to create "dead sidings" and passing
        track sidings, etc.. There is no problem with using them on Marklin
        power packs. Cheers, Jim CCRR

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Yuji Kuwabara <HHG01200@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Let me ask some questions.
        >
        > I want to know about Micro Trains Micro-Track turnout electrical
        > routing.
        > Is it "automatic" electrical routing? (Only switched direction is
        > electrified).
        > Or does it need electrical gap and separate feeder for both
        direction?

        > Is the remote turnout drive motor compatible with Marklin (AC
        10V) ?

        > Regards.
        >
        > Yuji Kuwabara

      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
          Hello Yuji,

          > I want to know about Micro Trains Micro-Track turnout electrical
          > routing.
          > Is it "automatic" electrical routing? (Only switched direction is
          > electrified).
          > Or does it need electrical gap and separate feeder for both direction?

          I tried to install a turn out drive lately. In my album:

          "Uwe Liermann"

          you can see three pictures about my test. While doing this I also had
          a look at the electrical connections in the turn out, and how they
          work compared to a Maerklin turn out.

          There is one difference in the electrical routing. The frog and the
          tongue of the MTL turn out is electrically one single part which is
          polarized according to how the turn out is set, whereas the frog and
          tongue of a Maerklin turn out is divided in different parts who are
          each connected to the electrically correct rail.

          Therefore while you can drive over a Maerklin turn out that is set to
          the other direction, and cutting open the turn out with the loco
          wheels, this can't be done with the MTL turn out.

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
            Jim, I'm sorry, but your first statement is not true:
            these turnouts are power routing in the meaning that
            frog is powered, + or - depending on the switch
            position.

            However, one doesn't need to cut any gap because
            electrical contacts are linked to the switch and when
            moving it the contacts automatically power the fair
            pole into the frog.

            But there's a huge difference with Marklin turnouts (I
            should say "two" as fortunately MTL didn't put this
            ugly black box on its turnouts): there is no unpowered
            plastic section on a locomotive's path, and you can
            have it crawling on the turnout without any risk of
            stall.

            Dom

            --- Jim O'Connell <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...> a écrit :

            > Yuji, The MTL turnouts, like the Marklin turnouts,
            > are all live. You
            > will need to electrical gaps to create "dead
            > sidings" and passing
            > track sidings, etc.. There is no problem with using
            > them on Marklin
            > power packs. Cheers, Jim CCRR

            http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
          • Yuji Kuwabara
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
              Hello,

              Thanks for info about MTL turnout.
              I will employ MicroTracks as soon as coming R220/45deg curve
              and long time out-of-stock 110mm straight become available.

              Regards.

              Yuji Kuwabara
            • Jim O'Connell
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
                Dom, Thanks for the clarification. In my experience, limited, I have
                found that my MTL and Marklin turnouts "light up" all the tracks
                attached to the turnout. I might not have expressed myself with the
                correct terminology, but I have to cut gaps to stop electric flow on
                all the layouts I have done. Heck maybe I'm wiring mine incorrectly?
                I just did a test on my layout and the layout I'm just finishing for
                a client in Singapore and regardless of turnout position power goes
                through the turnouts and all three tracks are powered. To me, this
                is 'all live' and not power routing. Talk to me. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique

                ______
                > Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes vos
                questions !
                > Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des expériences des
                internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses