Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Modern Railroading ????

  • John Duino
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 5, 2007
      It's not so much the sharing if something goes wrong, but transporting it
      back and forth, who takes it to school, who gets it on holidays.....

      > Laser PRE-NEPS???

      John

      PS And who on here did NOT know about the upcoming events???? SHEESH
    • Don Avila
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 5, 2007
        Well, Loren bought a trailer - so that solves the transportation.
        I've seen some funny things listed on a bridal registry before, BUT a
        laser?? ..don

      • dpstripe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 5, 2007
          Well, don't feel too left out. Those of us that model transition era aren't
          crawling over heaps of industrial structures, either. We have a lot of really
          nice brass houses and Johnson Block storefronts, but that's about it. The
          advantage to modern is that there are still plenty of hundred year old houses
          and johnson blocks around. I can't even count the number of 50-100 year old
          railroad bridges are within an hour of my house. So, nearly every structure
          built in the 20th century can still be seen today. I'm not saying that there is
          no need for modern structures, but there is also a need for transition era
          (and earlier) industrial structures, and we've been waiting longer ; ) .
          Kitbashing and scratch building is definitely the way to go, for now. And, as Randy
          said, a modern grain elevator is a very doable scratch build. And there are
          plenty of photos and functional diagrams available on the net.
          Dan S.

          In a message dated 6/5/2007 6:35:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          railfan_nyc@... writes:

          I like the nostalgia look in model railroading as much as anyone else;
          however, I really love the modern railroading look and actively model
          the Oklahoma-like scenes in HO. My question is, are there any
          suppliers of Z scale compatable grain elevators like the Walthers kit
          (available in HO) and similar stuff? There's nothing nicer than the
          look of a BNSF or UP "grain train" with a modern grain elevator in the
          scenery. We do have suppliers of modern diesels and covered hoppers,
          50 foot box cars, stacktrains, etc. I'd kind of like to see Z scale
          actively placed into the 21st century. There are those who like Shays
          and those who like SD70MACs and C44-9W's, too.
          Dan

        • hobbycraftsnmore
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 6, 2007
            Hi all.
            The 6mm and z scale are very close and the way that building codes
            change from year to year, I have seen and been in buildings that the
            floors don't even match up. So you can get away with using 6mm with z
            scale. I have a comparison on my website that shows pictures.
            Go to:
            http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com
            Then go to the green hobby button on the top and then on the hobby
            page select the FAQ link on the left side and then go to the 6mm
            comparing to z scale.

            I do not carry this particular model in stock, but if anyone is
            interested, I can special order this item.

            Kevin
            Hobby Crafts N More
            www.hobbycraftsnmore.com

            > On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 07:57:52 -0700 (PDT)
            > Randall Smidt <randy@...> wrote:
            >
            > > That Canadian/Canadien company was MicroFigs. They also had a
            modern elevator in 1/285th scale. At first they discontinued the Z
            scale line, but it does look like they are completely out of business
            now.

            > > A modern grain elevator would be a little easier to scrathbuild
            than an older style wooden one. I've seen them done in larger scales
            using plastic pipe for the elevators and sheet styrene for the other
            portions of the building.