Re: MTL Production Numbers

  • Don Avila
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
      We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.

      It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is money
      in Z.

      ...don

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Mike D." <zscaletrains@...> wrote:

      > Uwe I have never seen a response so eloquently worded, you are truly
      the
      > politician!
    • Karin Svenson
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

        > We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.
        >
        > It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is
        money
        > in Z.

        Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
        plastic pipe!

        My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
        plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
        Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
        water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
        can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
        just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
        are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
        Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
        to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
        automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
        driving now.

        I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
        chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
        least THINKING about it, no?

        Karin
      • Don Avila
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
          My worthless guess is that some of these manufacturers will take a
          GOOD look around Detroit this summer, and then begin to consider
          spending some tooling money. Detroit is only 8 weeks away -- Isn't
          that 7+1 or 6+2? It's a big commitment to start off on another scale.
          And there is a BIG chicken/egg world out there that has to pay the
          bills. I see Loren was helping promote the product in San Jose
          yesterday/today] ...don

          - - -

          > Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
          > plastic pipe!
          >
          > My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
          > plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
          > Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
          > water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
          > can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
          > just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
          > are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
          > Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
          > to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
          > automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
          > driving now.
          >
          > I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
          > chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
          > least THINKING about it, no?
          >
          > Karin

        • Mike D.
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
            Say It Ain't So, Don...

            MTL is operated by two women? Well that explains that.

            My dealer called them in inquire about a car for me and something called
            'runner set's #4 and #5 it think it was, the woman who answered the phone
            not knowing she was on speaker phone didn't just get nasty real quick, she
            got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack did)
            looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all my life.
            No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer like that
            for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.

            I'm not taking anything away from women in business I hope all will
            understand. But from this attitude it's clearly evident nothing will change
            and those personnel at MTL must have their hands full in dealing with that
            kind of mentality. They must of had to walk to school (uphill, both ways).

            Karin, I sure hope your assessment is right, for them to not take advantage
            while they 'Owned' the market and had the chance to establish themselves as
            the leader. To just give the opportunity away, well that just seems to be
            the American way these days. I realize all to well that if it was easy then
            boy scouts and girl scouts would be doing it. Whats going on here is just a
            shame, a plain ole shame.

            /s/ Not Really a GOT TO HAVE IT NOW, disgruntled, Hurting the Hobby, MTL
            fan.

            >From: "Karin Svenson" <karin@...>
            >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: MTL Production Numbers
            >Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 23:21:27 -0000
            >
            >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.
            > >
            > > It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is
            >money
            > > in Z.
            >
            >Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
            >plastic pipe!
            >
            >My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
            >plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
            >Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
            >water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
            >can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
            >just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
            >are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
            >Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
            >to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
            >automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
            >driving now.
            >
            >I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
            >chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
            >least THINKING about it, no?
            >
            >Karin

            Live Hotmail.
          • Don Avila
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
              Give Loren a couple of days to get his feet back on the ground and
              drop him an Email. He's been at a train show with Joe with at least
              two of the new GP9's fully decorated. Check out TRAINBOARD for the
              colors. Loren is in at MTL regularly and can can fill you in on
              details, even the names of who to write to or whatever. I didn't
              think the sisters answered the phones, but who knows. MTL has quite a
              few employees.

              ...don

              > Say It Ain't So, Don...
              >
              > MTL is operated by two women? Well that explains that.
              >
              > My dealer called them in inquire about a car for me and something
              called
              > 'runner set's #4 and #5 it think it was, the woman who answered the
              phone
              > not knowing she was on speaker phone didn't just get nasty real
              quick, she
              > got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack
              did)
              > looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all
              my life.
              > No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer
              like that
              > for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.
              >
              > I'm not taking anything away from women in business I hope all will
              > understand. But from this attitude it's clearly evident nothing will
              change
              > and those personnel at MTL must have their hands full in dealing
              with that
              > kind of mentality. They must of had to walk to school (uphill, both
              ways).

              > Karin, I sure hope your assessment is right, for them to not take
              advantage
              > while they 'Owned' the market and had the chance to establish
              themselves as
              > the leader. To just give the opportunity away, well that just seems
              to be
              > the American way these days. I realize all to well that if it was
              easy then
              > boy scouts and girl scouts would be doing it. Whats going on here is
              just a
              > shame, a plain ole shame.
            • Joe DAmato
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                Boy, I go to San Francisco for a day of train runnin' and come back
                to this!! :o)

                Hey, I'd love to tell you all what's coming in the way of road names,
                but that's a lot more complicated than talking about new product
                development. It's also something done by a different part of the
                company and I think there's someting to do with letting dealers know
                what and when and when to let customers know, and what and
                when...oye..my head hurts. We've come a long way in the past 4 years
                and I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to move and change in the
                comming months and years...and as we do I announce what I can.

                Cheers

                Joe

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

                > Don
                > I think what was meant about giving notice as to what is coming out
                refered to road names Joe D
                > has been great about what he knows is coming, but still kind of
                quiet about specific road names.
                > I think if what was stated here earlier about a 6 month lead time,
                It would make sense if MTL
                > would announce the road names and then see what additional orders
                appear. Granted a lot of
                > dealers aare signed up to take X of what ever MTL produces. If I
                read the post from Aaron
                > correctly dealers can be fairly selective (IE this month I want X
                tank cars, Y box cars etc).
                > Ed Scullin
                >
                > --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@...> wrote:
                >
                > > [snip]
                > > >
                > > > Okay, this brings up another question, why all the secrecy on
                what is
                > > > coming out?
                > > > Zane
                > >
                > > Ummmmmm,
                > >
                > > Joe has been pretty open with us. We have known about the GP9
                for a
                > > LOOOOONG time. Finished production photos of the the first
                version
                > > are on Trainboard and they are spectacular He told us about the
                > > turnouts and new track more than half a year before they came
                out.
                > > The other day he told us the turnout motors will be available
                > > separately in a few months and of course they are now available
                with
                > > track. Many months before the Digitrax drop in DCC came out Joe
                told
                > > us about it. He has been telling us about the passenger cars
                coming.
                > > He has been telling us about some of the new engines with 6 wheel
                > > trucks.
                > >
                > > I hardly call it secrecy ESPECIALLY where it really truly comes
                out
                > > and is not Vapor-Ware.
                > >
                > > ...don

              • Alan Cox
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                  > got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack did)
                  > looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all my life.
                  > No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer like that
                  > for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.

                  So get her name and get her fired. And tell me you've never had a man do
                  the same...
                • Garth Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                    Guys if you are so sure you can do a better job then go get a job at
                    MTL or better yet make an offer the current owners can not turn down
                    and show us what you can do. Otherwise you are a lay preacher
                    preaching to the already converted and it a rehash of what we have
                    all heard. MTL management is not listening here. Joe is that is a
                    truly bright light so don't blow it out.

                    Garth Hamilton
                    one of the converted
                  • Edward Scullin
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                      Joe
                      We can't really ask for any more than that. BUT
                      Ed Scullin
                      Thanks for filling us in when you can.