RE: [Z_Scale] Re: MTL Production Numbers

  • Mike D.
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
      Uwe I have never seen a response so eloquently worded, you are truly the
      politician! I vote for you for Mayor of Zville, will someone second the
      nomination? I�ve never seen such a swift �reverse 180� are you into racing
      too?

      In regards to second runs being cheaper for MTL to do that�s simply
      ridiculous even with existing molds, labor has gone up and so is every other
      aspect of manufacturing. Tooling could have even changed requiring mold
      modifications or complete rework of the molds/new molds altogether. So no it
      won�t be cheaper even with the very same production house.

      Another question that comes to mind, why are they beating to death the same
      old lines? Why aren�t they doing anything in the Fallen Flags lines? Those
      lines are still being modeled in fairly large numbers and most of the stuff
      is coming from the cottage industry side of MRR, thank the almighty for
      those guy�s if it weren�t for them we�d all be running BNSF, CSX, UP, and
      SP.

      Just take a look at what Chad did recently, with only some help from Uncle
      Will, he brought in the Bill K. car, On Time, At Cost. He didn�t sit in a
      conference room bickering with the N Scale team and he didn�t have to
      connive management for a budget, AND he didn�t leave a Single modeler
      hanging in the lurch.

      All this makes one Really Appreciate all the efforts of Robert, Tim, Rob,
      Loren, Uncle Will, Trainnut and now Chad. Thanks Guys you are truly the
      Gucci�s and Armani�s of small scale model railroading today!

      Aaron, I can always expect to see some responsible and pertinent to the
      subject at hand when I read your posts. Hopefully someone at MTL will take
      heed of your suggestion?

      To take that a step further they should also have regional reps to include
      Canada, Germany, Switzerland, Norway and Denmark or at the very least an
      order/pre-order form on the MTL website where they could then offer the reps
      exclusive access to projected sales in their areas. MTL should also come to
      terms with the fact that they aren�t a little company any more. Trust me
      there is nothing sitting on the shelves of my LHS for more than a day or two
      excepting the standard stock of Micro-Track. If I�m not there by Friday of
      the week it�s released, well shame on me.

      Right now they are the largest supplier of mass produced Z scale items, this
      won�t always be the case. Other manufacturers are bound to see the revenue
      potential and squeeze their way in as well. The stunt with the N Scale Pan
      Am car won you more than a few disgruntled fans (not the best marketing
      approach ever deployed). Also why didn�t we even see this car in Z scale?
      Hmmm?

      /s/ Another HAVE TO HAVE IT RIGHT NOW, hurting the Hobby, Z Scale enthusiast

    • Don Avila
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
        We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.

        It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is money
        in Z.

        ...don

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Mike D." <zscaletrains@...> wrote:

        > Uwe I have never seen a response so eloquently worded, you are truly
        the
        > politician!
      • Karin Svenson
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

          > We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.
          >
          > It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is
          money
          > in Z.

          Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
          plastic pipe!

          My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
          plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
          Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
          water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
          can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
          just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
          are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
          Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
          to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
          automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
          driving now.

          I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
          chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
          least THINKING about it, no?

          Karin
        • Don Avila
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
            My worthless guess is that some of these manufacturers will take a
            GOOD look around Detroit this summer, and then begin to consider
            spending some tooling money. Detroit is only 8 weeks away -- Isn't
            that 7+1 or 6+2? It's a big commitment to start off on another scale.
            And there is a BIG chicken/egg world out there that has to pay the
            bills. I see Loren was helping promote the product in San Jose
            yesterday/today] ...don

            - - -

            > Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
            > plastic pipe!
            >
            > My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
            > plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
            > Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
            > water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
            > can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
            > just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
            > are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
            > Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
            > to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
            > automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
            > driving now.
            >
            > I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
            > chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
            > least THINKING about it, no?
            >
            > Karin

          • Mike D.
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
              Say It Ain't So, Don...

              MTL is operated by two women? Well that explains that.

              My dealer called them in inquire about a car for me and something called
              'runner set's #4 and #5 it think it was, the woman who answered the phone
              not knowing she was on speaker phone didn't just get nasty real quick, she
              got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack did)
              looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all my life.
              No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer like that
              for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.

              I'm not taking anything away from women in business I hope all will
              understand. But from this attitude it's clearly evident nothing will change
              and those personnel at MTL must have their hands full in dealing with that
              kind of mentality. They must of had to walk to school (uphill, both ways).

              Karin, I sure hope your assessment is right, for them to not take advantage
              while they 'Owned' the market and had the chance to establish themselves as
              the leader. To just give the opportunity away, well that just seems to be
              the American way these days. I realize all to well that if it was easy then
              boy scouts and girl scouts would be doing it. Whats going on here is just a
              shame, a plain ole shame.

              /s/ Not Really a GOT TO HAVE IT NOW, disgruntled, Hurting the Hobby, MTL
              fan.

              >From: "Karin Svenson" <karin@...>
              >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: MTL Production Numbers
              >Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 23:21:27 -0000
              >
              >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.
              > >
              > > It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is
              >money
              > > in Z.
              >
              >Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
              >plastic pipe!
              >
              >My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
              >plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
              >Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
              >water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
              >can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
              >just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
              >are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
              >Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
              >to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
              >automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
              >driving now.
              >
              >I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
              >chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
              >least THINKING about it, no?
              >
              >Karin

              Live Hotmail.
            • Don Avila
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                Give Loren a couple of days to get his feet back on the ground and
                drop him an Email. He's been at a train show with Joe with at least
                two of the new GP9's fully decorated. Check out TRAINBOARD for the
                colors. Loren is in at MTL regularly and can can fill you in on
                details, even the names of who to write to or whatever. I didn't
                think the sisters answered the phones, but who knows. MTL has quite a
                few employees.

                ...don

                > Say It Ain't So, Don...
                >
                > MTL is operated by two women? Well that explains that.
                >
                > My dealer called them in inquire about a car for me and something
                called
                > 'runner set's #4 and #5 it think it was, the woman who answered the
                phone
                > not knowing she was on speaker phone didn't just get nasty real
                quick, she
                > got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack
                did)
                > looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all
                my life.
                > No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer
                like that
                > for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.
                >
                > I'm not taking anything away from women in business I hope all will
                > understand. But from this attitude it's clearly evident nothing will
                change
                > and those personnel at MTL must have their hands full in dealing
                with that
                > kind of mentality. They must of had to walk to school (uphill, both
                ways).

                > Karin, I sure hope your assessment is right, for them to not take
                advantage
                > while they 'Owned' the market and had the chance to establish
                themselves as
                > the leader. To just give the opportunity away, well that just seems
                to be
                > the American way these days. I realize all to well that if it was
                easy then
                > boy scouts and girl scouts would be doing it. Whats going on here is
                just a
                > shame, a plain ole shame.
              • Joe DAmato
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                  Boy, I go to San Francisco for a day of train runnin' and come back
                  to this!! :o)

                  Hey, I'd love to tell you all what's coming in the way of road names,
                  but that's a lot more complicated than talking about new product
                  development. It's also something done by a different part of the
                  company and I think there's someting to do with letting dealers know
                  what and when and when to let customers know, and what and
                  when...oye..my head hurts. We've come a long way in the past 4 years
                  and I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to move and change in the
                  comming months and years...and as we do I announce what I can.

                  Cheers

                  Joe

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

                  > Don
                  > I think what was meant about giving notice as to what is coming out
                  refered to road names Joe D
                  > has been great about what he knows is coming, but still kind of
                  quiet about specific road names.
                  > I think if what was stated here earlier about a 6 month lead time,
                  It would make sense if MTL
                  > would announce the road names and then see what additional orders
                  appear. Granted a lot of
                  > dealers aare signed up to take X of what ever MTL produces. If I
                  read the post from Aaron
                  > correctly dealers can be fairly selective (IE this month I want X
                  tank cars, Y box cars etc).
                  > Ed Scullin
                  >
                  > --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > [snip]
                  > > >
                  > > > Okay, this brings up another question, why all the secrecy on
                  what is
                  > > > coming out?
                  > > > Zane
                  > >
                  > > Ummmmmm,
                  > >
                  > > Joe has been pretty open with us. We have known about the GP9
                  for a
                  > > LOOOOONG time. Finished production photos of the the first
                  version
                  > > are on Trainboard and they are spectacular He told us about the
                  > > turnouts and new track more than half a year before they came
                  out.
                  > > The other day he told us the turnout motors will be available
                  > > separately in a few months and of course they are now available
                  with
                  > > track. Many months before the Digitrax drop in DCC came out Joe
                  told
                  > > us about it. He has been telling us about the passenger cars
                  coming.
                  > > He has been telling us about some of the new engines with 6 wheel
                  > > trucks.
                  > >
                  > > I hardly call it secrecy ESPECIALLY where it really truly comes
                  out
                  > > and is not Vapor-Ware.
                  > >
                  > > ...don

                • Alan Cox
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                    > got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack did)
                    > looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all my life.
                    > No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer like that
                    > for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.

                    So get her name and get her fired. And tell me you've never had a man do
                    the same...
                  • Garth Hamilton
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                      Guys if you are so sure you can do a better job then go get a job at
                      MTL or better yet make an offer the current owners can not turn down
                      and show us what you can do. Otherwise you are a lay preacher
                      preaching to the already converted and it a rehash of what we have
                      all heard. MTL management is not listening here. Joe is that is a
                      truly bright light so don't blow it out.

                      Garth Hamilton
                      one of the converted
                    • Edward Scullin
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                        Joe
                        We can't really ask for any more than that. BUT
                        Ed Scullin
                        Thanks for filling us in when you can.