Re: MTL Production Numbers

  • Allan Miller
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, John Duino <jduino@...> wrote:
      >This crowd is a
      > fickle one...if they re-run then people complain that nothing new is
      > coming out. If it's all new stuff then people want reissues. Short
      of staffing up, going 24/7, and expanding the facilities (all costly)
      > there's no way of pleasing everyone.
      > Having been around Z for awhile (first 'taste' in 77, more seriously
      > since ~98) I can't be more pleased with the variety of goodies
      >available in Z nowadays.

      I could not agree more! There's a wealth of stuff available in Z
      these days, and I can't imagine folks in this segment of the hobby
      being anything less than thrilled. It was many years in coming.

      I'm not sure what the problem is with today's consumer-hobbyists.
      They seem to want everything that THEY want, and they want it NOW! I
      see this in the other scales I model, and in some or most cases it is
      doing more harm to the hobby than good. As I've said so often in
      recent years: We hobbyists are our own worst enemies. We've gotten
      to the point where too many of us see "things" as the be-all and
      end-all, and too few, apparently, are willing to enjoy and make good
      use of what is already available (in variety and quantity never seen
      before) or what they already have. As I see it, the hobby is about
      far more than simply acquiring "things." It's about putting what we
      do have (and can afford) to good use. It's about creating, imagining,
      dreaming, acquiring new skills, learning about the history and
      heritage of railroading, relaxing in those all-too-rare leisure hours,
      and sharing in the spirit of good fellowship.

      If MTL or someone else announces something you want to buy, establish
      a good, regular relationship with a dealer and get your order placed
      on their list. Otherwise, take your chances when the item is
      eventually released and find a dealer who has it available or shop the
      secondary market.

      My feeling is that MTL, in particular, has done a very good job in
      giving folks a heads-up about what they are planning, and estimating
      when it may be available. They try to be realistic in meeting the
      expectations of the many diverse individuals in the hobby, but they
      are, I'm sure, fully aware that they can't be all things to all
      people. Nor should they try to be! Z scale is still a small niche in
      a much larger hobby, and any business in this hobby has to be very
      careful about the approaches they follow to assure their reasonable
      growth and profitability.
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
        Hello Allan,

        I fully agree with this from your mail (I quote it first, even if it
        was in your mail later on):

        > My feeling is that MTL, in particular, has done a very good job

        and I also agree with this:

        > I could not agree more! There's a wealth of stuff available in Z
        > these days, and I can't imagine folks in this segment of the hobby
        > being anything less than thrilled. It was many years in coming.

        and I also agree with this:

        > I'm not sure what the problem is with today's consumer-hobbyists.
        > They seem to want everything that THEY want, and they want it NOW! I
        > see this in the other scales I model, and in some or most cases it is
        > doing more harm to the hobby than good.

        You're right that the "I want it ALL NOW" feeling is doing harm, even
        if it seems to be the usual feeling for many things nowadays. But
        there are also people who doesn't want it ALL NOW. And for them this:

        > If MTL or someone else announces something you want to buy, establish
        > a good, regular relationship with a dealer and get your order placed
        > on their list. Otherwise, take your chances when the item is
        > eventually released and find a dealer who has it available or shop the
        > secondary market.

        is not the perfect solution. I see a lot of items that I would like to
        have or use sometimes, but I can't afford all of them right now.
        Partly because of my budget, and also partly because I'm not that far
        in my development yet. I have a relatively long wish list about items
        I want to have, and also for some that I would like to see, but that
        are not available yet. A lot of items that were produced earlier are
        only available via the secondary market. I think for the manufacturers
        it would be a lot better if the consumer could buy new, instead of
        hoping that an item will show up on EBay sometimes. Besides buying
        something on EBay won't bring any money to the original manufacturer.

        The same is true, I believe, for the growth of the Z customer numbers.
        If they see something, and want to knew where they can get it, now
        often you have to tell them "XYZ made this, but you will have to see
        if you find it at EBay...". This isn't a good argument for getting
        into Z.

        I knew the solution for this problem isn't easy, maybe especially for
        the small producer of things.

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
          At 9:56 AM +0000 6/3/07, Allan Miller wrote:
          >I'm not sure what the problem is with today's consumer-hobbyists.
          >They seem to want everything that THEY want, and they want it NOW! I
          >see this in the other scales I model, and in some or most cases it is
          >doing more harm to the hobby than good. As I've said so often in

          I'd just like to point out that I'm not saying I want everything I
          want for my trains NOW! Quite the opposite, I'm happy to wait, and
          add an item here and there. It helps to keep things affordable.

          What I am saying is that when I walk into a train store a couple days
          after a new car, or cars are announced and am informed that I can't
          buy them, because the store is sold out and can't get any more from
          MTL, I consider this to be a problem.

          Call me strange, but I for one would rather pay more to support a
          store in my own community, I don't want to have to order online from
          another state. In fact this is one reason that I really like buying
          MTL products, I'm an Oregonian, and by buying MTL I'm helping to
          support an Oregon business.

          >If MTL or someone else announces something you want to buy, establish
          >a good, regular relationship with a dealer and get your order placed
          >on their list. Otherwise, take your chances when the item is
          >eventually released and find a dealer who has it available or shop the
          >secondary market.

          >My feeling is that MTL, in particular, has done a very good job in
          >giving folks a heads-up about what they are planning, and estimating
          >when it may be available. They try to be realistic in meeting the

          OK, I'm curious, am I missing something here? We know that the Army
          train is coming around the bend, and that the GP9's are on the way.
          We actually know what the first GP9 will be. We also know about the
          passenger cars and F8's (or is it E8). I'd like the Army train, but
          will probably pass on it, unless I happen to get lucky and spot it in
          my FLHS and decide on a whim to buy it. The rest I'll be wanting to
          buy if I can get the roads I'm collecting.

          All of the above info is very vague though, and it's hard to place
          orders on vague. Can you tell me what the July cars are? This is
          what I'm talking about. How are we to know if any of the July cars
          are anything we want to get? By the time we do find out if they are
          something we want, we run the risk of them being sold out before we
          can get them.

          Zane

          | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
        • Mike D.
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
            Uwe I have never seen a response so eloquently worded, you are truly the
            politician! I vote for you for Mayor of Zville, will someone second the
            nomination? I�ve never seen such a swift �reverse 180� are you into racing
            too?

            In regards to second runs being cheaper for MTL to do that�s simply
            ridiculous even with existing molds, labor has gone up and so is every other
            aspect of manufacturing. Tooling could have even changed requiring mold
            modifications or complete rework of the molds/new molds altogether. So no it
            won�t be cheaper even with the very same production house.

            Another question that comes to mind, why are they beating to death the same
            old lines? Why aren�t they doing anything in the Fallen Flags lines? Those
            lines are still being modeled in fairly large numbers and most of the stuff
            is coming from the cottage industry side of MRR, thank the almighty for
            those guy�s if it weren�t for them we�d all be running BNSF, CSX, UP, and
            SP.

            Just take a look at what Chad did recently, with only some help from Uncle
            Will, he brought in the Bill K. car, On Time, At Cost. He didn�t sit in a
            conference room bickering with the N Scale team and he didn�t have to
            connive management for a budget, AND he didn�t leave a Single modeler
            hanging in the lurch.

            All this makes one Really Appreciate all the efforts of Robert, Tim, Rob,
            Loren, Uncle Will, Trainnut and now Chad. Thanks Guys you are truly the
            Gucci�s and Armani�s of small scale model railroading today!

            Aaron, I can always expect to see some responsible and pertinent to the
            subject at hand when I read your posts. Hopefully someone at MTL will take
            heed of your suggestion?

            To take that a step further they should also have regional reps to include
            Canada, Germany, Switzerland, Norway and Denmark or at the very least an
            order/pre-order form on the MTL website where they could then offer the reps
            exclusive access to projected sales in their areas. MTL should also come to
            terms with the fact that they aren�t a little company any more. Trust me
            there is nothing sitting on the shelves of my LHS for more than a day or two
            excepting the standard stock of Micro-Track. If I�m not there by Friday of
            the week it�s released, well shame on me.

            Right now they are the largest supplier of mass produced Z scale items, this
            won�t always be the case. Other manufacturers are bound to see the revenue
            potential and squeeze their way in as well. The stunt with the N Scale Pan
            Am car won you more than a few disgruntled fans (not the best marketing
            approach ever deployed). Also why didn�t we even see this car in Z scale?
            Hmmm?

            /s/ Another HAVE TO HAVE IT RIGHT NOW, hurting the Hobby, Z Scale enthusiast

          • Don Avila
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
              We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.

              It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is money
              in Z.

              ...don

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Mike D." <zscaletrains@...> wrote:

              > Uwe I have never seen a response so eloquently worded, you are truly
              the
              > politician!
            • Karin Svenson
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

                > We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.
                >
                > It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is
                money
                > in Z.

                Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
                plastic pipe!

                My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
                plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
                Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
                water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
                can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
                just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
                are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
                Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
                to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
                automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
                driving now.

                I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
                chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
                least THINKING about it, no?

                Karin
              • Don Avila
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                  My worthless guess is that some of these manufacturers will take a
                  GOOD look around Detroit this summer, and then begin to consider
                  spending some tooling money. Detroit is only 8 weeks away -- Isn't
                  that 7+1 or 6+2? It's a big commitment to start off on another scale.
                  And there is a BIG chicken/egg world out there that has to pay the
                  bills. I see Loren was helping promote the product in San Jose
                  yesterday/today] ...don

                  - - -

                  > Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
                  > plastic pipe!
                  >
                  > My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
                  > plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
                  > Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
                  > water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
                  > can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
                  > just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
                  > are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
                  > Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
                  > to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
                  > automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
                  > driving now.
                  >
                  > I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
                  > chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
                  > least THINKING about it, no?
                  >
                  > Karin

                • Mike D.
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                    Say It Ain't So, Don...

                    MTL is operated by two women? Well that explains that.

                    My dealer called them in inquire about a car for me and something called
                    'runner set's #4 and #5 it think it was, the woman who answered the phone
                    not knowing she was on speaker phone didn't just get nasty real quick, she
                    got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack did)
                    looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all my life.
                    No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer like that
                    for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.

                    I'm not taking anything away from women in business I hope all will
                    understand. But from this attitude it's clearly evident nothing will change
                    and those personnel at MTL must have their hands full in dealing with that
                    kind of mentality. They must of had to walk to school (uphill, both ways).

                    Karin, I sure hope your assessment is right, for them to not take advantage
                    while they 'Owned' the market and had the chance to establish themselves as
                    the leader. To just give the opportunity away, well that just seems to be
                    the American way these days. I realize all to well that if it was easy then
                    boy scouts and girl scouts would be doing it. Whats going on here is just a
                    shame, a plain ole shame.

                    /s/ Not Really a GOT TO HAVE IT NOW, disgruntled, Hurting the Hobby, MTL
                    fan.

                    >From: "Karin Svenson" <karin@...>
                    >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: MTL Production Numbers
                    >Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 23:21:27 -0000
                    >
                    >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.
                    > >
                    > > It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is
                    >money
                    > > in Z.
                    >
                    >Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
                    >plastic pipe!
                    >
                    >My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
                    >plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
                    >Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
                    >water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
                    >can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
                    >just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
                    >are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
                    >Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
                    >to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
                    >automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
                    >driving now.
                    >
                    >I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
                    >chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
                    >least THINKING about it, no?
                    >
                    >Karin

                    Live Hotmail.
                  • Don Avila
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                      Give Loren a couple of days to get his feet back on the ground and
                      drop him an Email. He's been at a train show with Joe with at least
                      two of the new GP9's fully decorated. Check out TRAINBOARD for the
                      colors. Loren is in at MTL regularly and can can fill you in on
                      details, even the names of who to write to or whatever. I didn't
                      think the sisters answered the phones, but who knows. MTL has quite a
                      few employees.

                      ...don

                      > Say It Ain't So, Don...
                      >
                      > MTL is operated by two women? Well that explains that.
                      >
                      > My dealer called them in inquire about a car for me and something
                      called
                      > 'runner set's #4 and #5 it think it was, the woman who answered the
                      phone
                      > not knowing she was on speaker phone didn't just get nasty real
                      quick, she
                      > got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack
                      did)
                      > looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all
                      my life.
                      > No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer
                      like that
                      > for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.
                      >
                      > I'm not taking anything away from women in business I hope all will
                      > understand. But from this attitude it's clearly evident nothing will
                      change
                      > and those personnel at MTL must have their hands full in dealing
                      with that
                      > kind of mentality. They must of had to walk to school (uphill, both
                      ways).

                      > Karin, I sure hope your assessment is right, for them to not take
                      advantage
                      > while they 'Owned' the market and had the chance to establish
                      themselves as
                      > the leader. To just give the opportunity away, well that just seems
                      to be
                      > the American way these days. I realize all to well that if it was
                      easy then
                      > boy scouts and girl scouts would be doing it. Whats going on here is
                      just a
                      > shame, a plain ole shame.
                    • Joe DAmato
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                        Boy, I go to San Francisco for a day of train runnin' and come back
                        to this!! :o)

                        Hey, I'd love to tell you all what's coming in the way of road names,
                        but that's a lot more complicated than talking about new product
                        development. It's also something done by a different part of the
                        company and I think there's someting to do with letting dealers know
                        what and when and when to let customers know, and what and
                        when...oye..my head hurts. We've come a long way in the past 4 years
                        and I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to move and change in the
                        comming months and years...and as we do I announce what I can.

                        Cheers

                        Joe

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

                        > Don
                        > I think what was meant about giving notice as to what is coming out
                        refered to road names Joe D
                        > has been great about what he knows is coming, but still kind of
                        quiet about specific road names.
                        > I think if what was stated here earlier about a 6 month lead time,
                        It would make sense if MTL
                        > would announce the road names and then see what additional orders
                        appear. Granted a lot of
                        > dealers aare signed up to take X of what ever MTL produces. If I
                        read the post from Aaron
                        > correctly dealers can be fairly selective (IE this month I want X
                        tank cars, Y box cars etc).
                        > Ed Scullin
                        >
                        > --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > [snip]
                        > > >
                        > > > Okay, this brings up another question, why all the secrecy on
                        what is
                        > > > coming out?
                        > > > Zane
                        > >
                        > > Ummmmmm,
                        > >
                        > > Joe has been pretty open with us. We have known about the GP9
                        for a
                        > > LOOOOONG time. Finished production photos of the the first
                        version
                        > > are on Trainboard and they are spectacular He told us about the
                        > > turnouts and new track more than half a year before they came
                        out.
                        > > The other day he told us the turnout motors will be available
                        > > separately in a few months and of course they are now available
                        with
                        > > track. Many months before the Digitrax drop in DCC came out Joe
                        told
                        > > us about it. He has been telling us about the passenger cars
                        coming.
                        > > He has been telling us about some of the new engines with 6 wheel
                        > > trucks.
                        > >
                        > > I hardly call it secrecy ESPECIALLY where it really truly comes
                        out
                        > > and is not Vapor-Ware.
                        > >
                        > > ...don

                      • Alan Cox
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                          > got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack did)
                          > looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all my life.
                          > No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer like that
                          > for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.

                          So get her name and get her fired. And tell me you've never had a man do
                          the same...
                        • Garth Hamilton
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                            Guys if you are so sure you can do a better job then go get a job at
                            MTL or better yet make an offer the current owners can not turn down
                            and show us what you can do. Otherwise you are a lay preacher
                            preaching to the already converted and it a rehash of what we have
                            all heard. MTL management is not listening here. Joe is that is a
                            truly bright light so don't blow it out.

                            Garth Hamilton
                            one of the converted
                          • Edward Scullin
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                              Joe
                              We can't really ask for any more than that. BUT
                              Ed Scullin
                              Thanks for filling us in when you can.