A way to help your hobby store

  • non
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 2, 2007
      A good way to help out any hobby store owner that wants your business
      is let him/her know what you are looking for.
      Should it might be a dream item, but guest what if you mention an item
      and he/she hears it a few times from other, The owner will help push
      for the item from the mfg.
      And you know how that happens, he/she start mentioning it to the mfg
      when the orders are place.
      Ex. The owner emails Mark at MTL on the sales desk. And say "Hey, think
      we might see a XXXX item coming out one day?"
      M ark will say he does know. But, if a few owner ask, he will get upset
      with the question and mention it to someone over him.
      Please, just drop a note once in awhile to your hobby store owner,
      asking about items you are looking for. Perhaps, if he/his wants your
      business they will start stocking it.
      Aaron Poscovsky
    • John Duino
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 2, 2007
        Hi!

        To reword what someone else said (sorry I forgot to register WHO said it
        before I hit delete), MTL does make 2nd/3rd runs eventually, but you
        have to fit it into the production schedule. MTL only has so many
        painters, so many assemblers, so many testers...and if they are
        producing that then something else 'new' can't come out. This crowd is a
        fickle one...if they re-run then people complain that nothing new is
        coming out. If it's all new stuff then people want reissues. Short of
        staffing up, going 24/7, and expanding the facilities (all costly)
        there's no way of pleasing everyone.

        Having been around Z for awhile (first 'taste' in 77, more seriously
        since ~98) I can't be more pleased with the variety of goodies available
        in Z nowadays.

        --
        *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
        | John Duino | 23 Tidewater Cove |
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, John Duino <jduino@...> wrote:
          >This crowd is a
          > fickle one...if they re-run then people complain that nothing new is
          > coming out. If it's all new stuff then people want reissues. Short
          of staffing up, going 24/7, and expanding the facilities (all costly)
          > there's no way of pleasing everyone.
          > Having been around Z for awhile (first 'taste' in 77, more seriously
          > since ~98) I can't be more pleased with the variety of goodies
          >available in Z nowadays.

          I could not agree more! There's a wealth of stuff available in Z
          these days, and I can't imagine folks in this segment of the hobby
          being anything less than thrilled. It was many years in coming.

          I'm not sure what the problem is with today's consumer-hobbyists.
          They seem to want everything that THEY want, and they want it NOW! I
          see this in the other scales I model, and in some or most cases it is
          doing more harm to the hobby than good. As I've said so often in
          recent years: We hobbyists are our own worst enemies. We've gotten
          to the point where too many of us see "things" as the be-all and
          end-all, and too few, apparently, are willing to enjoy and make good
          use of what is already available (in variety and quantity never seen
          before) or what they already have. As I see it, the hobby is about
          far more than simply acquiring "things." It's about putting what we
          do have (and can afford) to good use. It's about creating, imagining,
          dreaming, acquiring new skills, learning about the history and
          heritage of railroading, relaxing in those all-too-rare leisure hours,
          and sharing in the spirit of good fellowship.

          If MTL or someone else announces something you want to buy, establish
          a good, regular relationship with a dealer and get your order placed
          on their list. Otherwise, take your chances when the item is
          eventually released and find a dealer who has it available or shop the
          secondary market.

          My feeling is that MTL, in particular, has done a very good job in
          giving folks a heads-up about what they are planning, and estimating
          when it may be available. They try to be realistic in meeting the
          expectations of the many diverse individuals in the hobby, but they
          are, I'm sure, fully aware that they can't be all things to all
          people. Nor should they try to be! Z scale is still a small niche in
          a much larger hobby, and any business in this hobby has to be very
          careful about the approaches they follow to assure their reasonable
          growth and profitability.
        • Uwe Liermann
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
            Hello Allan,

            I fully agree with this from your mail (I quote it first, even if it
            was in your mail later on):

            > My feeling is that MTL, in particular, has done a very good job

            and I also agree with this:

            > I could not agree more! There's a wealth of stuff available in Z
            > these days, and I can't imagine folks in this segment of the hobby
            > being anything less than thrilled. It was many years in coming.

            and I also agree with this:

            > I'm not sure what the problem is with today's consumer-hobbyists.
            > They seem to want everything that THEY want, and they want it NOW! I
            > see this in the other scales I model, and in some or most cases it is
            > doing more harm to the hobby than good.

            You're right that the "I want it ALL NOW" feeling is doing harm, even
            if it seems to be the usual feeling for many things nowadays. But
            there are also people who doesn't want it ALL NOW. And for them this:

            > If MTL or someone else announces something you want to buy, establish
            > a good, regular relationship with a dealer and get your order placed
            > on their list. Otherwise, take your chances when the item is
            > eventually released and find a dealer who has it available or shop the
            > secondary market.

            is not the perfect solution. I see a lot of items that I would like to
            have or use sometimes, but I can't afford all of them right now.
            Partly because of my budget, and also partly because I'm not that far
            in my development yet. I have a relatively long wish list about items
            I want to have, and also for some that I would like to see, but that
            are not available yet. A lot of items that were produced earlier are
            only available via the secondary market. I think for the manufacturers
            it would be a lot better if the consumer could buy new, instead of
            hoping that an item will show up on EBay sometimes. Besides buying
            something on EBay won't bring any money to the original manufacturer.

            The same is true, I believe, for the growth of the Z customer numbers.
            If they see something, and want to knew where they can get it, now
            often you have to tell them "XYZ made this, but you will have to see
            if you find it at EBay...". This isn't a good argument for getting
            into Z.

            I knew the solution for this problem isn't easy, maybe especially for
            the small producer of things.

            --
            GreetingZ
            Uwe
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
              At 9:56 AM +0000 6/3/07, Allan Miller wrote:
              >I'm not sure what the problem is with today's consumer-hobbyists.
              >They seem to want everything that THEY want, and they want it NOW! I
              >see this in the other scales I model, and in some or most cases it is
              >doing more harm to the hobby than good. As I've said so often in

              I'd just like to point out that I'm not saying I want everything I
              want for my trains NOW! Quite the opposite, I'm happy to wait, and
              add an item here and there. It helps to keep things affordable.

              What I am saying is that when I walk into a train store a couple days
              after a new car, or cars are announced and am informed that I can't
              buy them, because the store is sold out and can't get any more from
              MTL, I consider this to be a problem.

              Call me strange, but I for one would rather pay more to support a
              store in my own community, I don't want to have to order online from
              another state. In fact this is one reason that I really like buying
              MTL products, I'm an Oregonian, and by buying MTL I'm helping to
              support an Oregon business.

              >If MTL or someone else announces something you want to buy, establish
              >a good, regular relationship with a dealer and get your order placed
              >on their list. Otherwise, take your chances when the item is
              >eventually released and find a dealer who has it available or shop the
              >secondary market.

              >My feeling is that MTL, in particular, has done a very good job in
              >giving folks a heads-up about what they are planning, and estimating
              >when it may be available. They try to be realistic in meeting the

              OK, I'm curious, am I missing something here? We know that the Army
              train is coming around the bend, and that the GP9's are on the way.
              We actually know what the first GP9 will be. We also know about the
              passenger cars and F8's (or is it E8). I'd like the Army train, but
              will probably pass on it, unless I happen to get lucky and spot it in
              my FLHS and decide on a whim to buy it. The rest I'll be wanting to
              buy if I can get the roads I'm collecting.

              All of the above info is very vague though, and it's hard to place
              orders on vague. Can you tell me what the July cars are? This is
              what I'm talking about. How are we to know if any of the July cars
              are anything we want to get? By the time we do find out if they are
              something we want, we run the risk of them being sold out before we
              can get them.

              Zane

              | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
            • Mike D.
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                Uwe I have never seen a response so eloquently worded, you are truly the
                politician! I vote for you for Mayor of Zville, will someone second the
                nomination? I�ve never seen such a swift �reverse 180� are you into racing
                too?

                In regards to second runs being cheaper for MTL to do that�s simply
                ridiculous even with existing molds, labor has gone up and so is every other
                aspect of manufacturing. Tooling could have even changed requiring mold
                modifications or complete rework of the molds/new molds altogether. So no it
                won�t be cheaper even with the very same production house.

                Another question that comes to mind, why are they beating to death the same
                old lines? Why aren�t they doing anything in the Fallen Flags lines? Those
                lines are still being modeled in fairly large numbers and most of the stuff
                is coming from the cottage industry side of MRR, thank the almighty for
                those guy�s if it weren�t for them we�d all be running BNSF, CSX, UP, and
                SP.

                Just take a look at what Chad did recently, with only some help from Uncle
                Will, he brought in the Bill K. car, On Time, At Cost. He didn�t sit in a
                conference room bickering with the N Scale team and he didn�t have to
                connive management for a budget, AND he didn�t leave a Single modeler
                hanging in the lurch.

                All this makes one Really Appreciate all the efforts of Robert, Tim, Rob,
                Loren, Uncle Will, Trainnut and now Chad. Thanks Guys you are truly the
                Gucci�s and Armani�s of small scale model railroading today!

                Aaron, I can always expect to see some responsible and pertinent to the
                subject at hand when I read your posts. Hopefully someone at MTL will take
                heed of your suggestion?

                To take that a step further they should also have regional reps to include
                Canada, Germany, Switzerland, Norway and Denmark or at the very least an
                order/pre-order form on the MTL website where they could then offer the reps
                exclusive access to projected sales in their areas. MTL should also come to
                terms with the fact that they aren�t a little company any more. Trust me
                there is nothing sitting on the shelves of my LHS for more than a day or two
                excepting the standard stock of Micro-Track. If I�m not there by Friday of
                the week it�s released, well shame on me.

                Right now they are the largest supplier of mass produced Z scale items, this
                won�t always be the case. Other manufacturers are bound to see the revenue
                potential and squeeze their way in as well. The stunt with the N Scale Pan
                Am car won you more than a few disgruntled fans (not the best marketing
                approach ever deployed). Also why didn�t we even see this car in Z scale?
                Hmmm?

                /s/ Another HAVE TO HAVE IT RIGHT NOW, hurting the Hobby, Z Scale enthusiast

              • Don Avila
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                  We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.

                  It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is money
                  in Z.

                  ...don

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Mike D." <zscaletrains@...> wrote:

                  > Uwe I have never seen a response so eloquently worded, you are truly
                  the
                  > politician!
                • Karin Svenson
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

                    > We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.
                    >
                    > It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is
                    money
                    > in Z.

                    Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
                    plastic pipe!

                    My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
                    plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
                    Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
                    water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
                    can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
                    just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
                    are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
                    Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
                    to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
                    automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
                    driving now.

                    I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
                    chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
                    least THINKING about it, no?

                    Karin
                  • Don Avila
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                      My worthless guess is that some of these manufacturers will take a
                      GOOD look around Detroit this summer, and then begin to consider
                      spending some tooling money. Detroit is only 8 weeks away -- Isn't
                      that 7+1 or 6+2? It's a big commitment to start off on another scale.
                      And there is a BIG chicken/egg world out there that has to pay the
                      bills. I see Loren was helping promote the product in San Jose
                      yesterday/today] ...don

                      - - -

                      > Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
                      > plastic pipe!
                      >
                      > My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
                      > plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
                      > Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
                      > water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
                      > can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
                      > just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
                      > are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
                      > Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
                      > to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
                      > automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
                      > driving now.
                      >
                      > I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
                      > chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
                      > least THINKING about it, no?
                      >
                      > Karin

                    • Mike D.
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                        Say It Ain't So, Don...

                        MTL is operated by two women? Well that explains that.

                        My dealer called them in inquire about a car for me and something called
                        'runner set's #4 and #5 it think it was, the woman who answered the phone
                        not knowing she was on speaker phone didn't just get nasty real quick, she
                        got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack did)
                        looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all my life.
                        No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer like that
                        for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.

                        I'm not taking anything away from women in business I hope all will
                        understand. But from this attitude it's clearly evident nothing will change
                        and those personnel at MTL must have their hands full in dealing with that
                        kind of mentality. They must of had to walk to school (uphill, both ways).

                        Karin, I sure hope your assessment is right, for them to not take advantage
                        while they 'Owned' the market and had the chance to establish themselves as
                        the leader. To just give the opportunity away, well that just seems to be
                        the American way these days. I realize all to well that if it was easy then
                        boy scouts and girl scouts would be doing it. Whats going on here is just a
                        shame, a plain ole shame.

                        /s/ Not Really a GOT TO HAVE IT NOW, disgruntled, Hurting the Hobby, MTL
                        fan.

                        >From: "Karin Svenson" <karin@...>
                        >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: MTL Production Numbers
                        >Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 23:21:27 -0000
                        >
                        >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.
                        > >
                        > > It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is
                        >money
                        > > in Z.
                        >
                        >Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
                        >plastic pipe!
                        >
                        >My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
                        >plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
                        >Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
                        >water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
                        >can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
                        >just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
                        >are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
                        >Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
                        >to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
                        >automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
                        >driving now.
                        >
                        >I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
                        >chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
                        >least THINKING about it, no?
                        >
                        >Karin

                        Live Hotmail.
                      • Don Avila
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                          Give Loren a couple of days to get his feet back on the ground and
                          drop him an Email. He's been at a train show with Joe with at least
                          two of the new GP9's fully decorated. Check out TRAINBOARD for the
                          colors. Loren is in at MTL regularly and can can fill you in on
                          details, even the names of who to write to or whatever. I didn't
                          think the sisters answered the phones, but who knows. MTL has quite a
                          few employees.

                          ...don

                          > Say It Ain't So, Don...
                          >
                          > MTL is operated by two women? Well that explains that.
                          >
                          > My dealer called them in inquire about a car for me and something
                          called
                          > 'runner set's #4 and #5 it think it was, the woman who answered the
                          phone
                          > not knowing she was on speaker phone didn't just get nasty real
                          quick, she
                          > got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack
                          did)
                          > looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all
                          my life.
                          > No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer
                          like that
                          > for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.
                          >
                          > I'm not taking anything away from women in business I hope all will
                          > understand. But from this attitude it's clearly evident nothing will
                          change
                          > and those personnel at MTL must have their hands full in dealing
                          with that
                          > kind of mentality. They must of had to walk to school (uphill, both
                          ways).

                          > Karin, I sure hope your assessment is right, for them to not take
                          advantage
                          > while they 'Owned' the market and had the chance to establish
                          themselves as
                          > the leader. To just give the opportunity away, well that just seems
                          to be
                          > the American way these days. I realize all to well that if it was
                          easy then
                          > boy scouts and girl scouts would be doing it. Whats going on here is
                          just a
                          > shame, a plain ole shame.
                        • Joe DAmato
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                            Boy, I go to San Francisco for a day of train runnin' and come back
                            to this!! :o)

                            Hey, I'd love to tell you all what's coming in the way of road names,
                            but that's a lot more complicated than talking about new product
                            development. It's also something done by a different part of the
                            company and I think there's someting to do with letting dealers know
                            what and when and when to let customers know, and what and
                            when...oye..my head hurts. We've come a long way in the past 4 years
                            and I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to move and change in the
                            comming months and years...and as we do I announce what I can.

                            Cheers

                            Joe

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

                            > Don
                            > I think what was meant about giving notice as to what is coming out
                            refered to road names Joe D
                            > has been great about what he knows is coming, but still kind of
                            quiet about specific road names.
                            > I think if what was stated here earlier about a 6 month lead time,
                            It would make sense if MTL
                            > would announce the road names and then see what additional orders
                            appear. Granted a lot of
                            > dealers aare signed up to take X of what ever MTL produces. If I
                            read the post from Aaron
                            > correctly dealers can be fairly selective (IE this month I want X
                            tank cars, Y box cars etc).
                            > Ed Scullin
                            >
                            > --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > [snip]
                            > > >
                            > > > Okay, this brings up another question, why all the secrecy on
                            what is
                            > > > coming out?
                            > > > Zane
                            > >
                            > > Ummmmmm,
                            > >
                            > > Joe has been pretty open with us. We have known about the GP9
                            for a
                            > > LOOOOONG time. Finished production photos of the the first
                            version
                            > > are on Trainboard and they are spectacular He told us about the
                            > > turnouts and new track more than half a year before they came
                            out.
                            > > The other day he told us the turnout motors will be available
                            > > separately in a few months and of course they are now available
                            with
                            > > track. Many months before the Digitrax drop in DCC came out Joe
                            told
                            > > us about it. He has been telling us about the passenger cars
                            coming.
                            > > He has been telling us about some of the new engines with 6 wheel
                            > > trucks.
                            > >
                            > > I hardly call it secrecy ESPECIALLY where it really truly comes
                            out
                            > > and is not Vapor-Ware.
                            > >
                            > > ...don

                          • Alan Cox
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                              > got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack did)
                              > looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all my life.
                              > No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer like that
                              > for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.

                              So get her name and get her fired. And tell me you've never had a man do
                              the same...
                            • Garth Hamilton
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                                Guys if you are so sure you can do a better job then go get a job at
                                MTL or better yet make an offer the current owners can not turn down
                                and show us what you can do. Otherwise you are a lay preacher
                                preaching to the already converted and it a rehash of what we have
                                all heard. MTL management is not listening here. Joe is that is a
                                truly bright light so don't blow it out.

                                Garth Hamilton
                                one of the converted
                              • Edward Scullin
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                                  Joe
                                  We can't really ask for any more than that. BUT
                                  Ed Scullin
                                  Thanks for filling us in when you can.