Re: MTL Production Numbers

  • Don Avila
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 2, 2007
      Good Point.

      Joe and I traded a few emails about a year ago regarding announcements
      of items to come. Even though MTL is small, I think they have some
      thick walls with no windows and Joe himself is not always "in the
      know" As Z begins to make some serious dollars for the owners, I
      think we may see some changes as to how things are done.

      ...don

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

      > Don
      > I think what was meant about giving notice as to what is coming out
      refered to road names Joe D
      > has been great about what he knows is coming, but still kind of
      quiet about specific road names.
      > I think if what was stated here earlier about a 6 month lead time,
      It would make sense if MTL
      > would announce the road names and then see what additional orders
      appear. Granted a lot of
      > dealers aare signed up to take X of what ever MTL produces. If I
      read the post from Aaron
      > correctly dealers can be fairly selective (IE this month I want X
      tank cars, Y box cars etc).
      > Ed Scullin
      >
      > --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@...> wrote:
      >
      > > [snip]
      > > >
      > > > Okay, this brings up another question, why all the secrecy on
      what is
      > > > coming out?
      > > > Zane
      > >
      > > Ummmmmm,
      > >
      > > Joe has been pretty open with us.
    • non
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 2, 2007
        A good way to help out any hobby store owner that wants your business
        is let him/her know what you are looking for.
        Should it might be a dream item, but guest what if you mention an item
        and he/she hears it a few times from other, The owner will help push
        for the item from the mfg.
        And you know how that happens, he/she start mentioning it to the mfg
        when the orders are place.
        Ex. The owner emails Mark at MTL on the sales desk. And say "Hey, think
        we might see a XXXX item coming out one day?"
        M ark will say he does know. But, if a few owner ask, he will get upset
        with the question and mention it to someone over him.
        Please, just drop a note once in awhile to your hobby store owner,
        asking about items you are looking for. Perhaps, if he/his wants your
        business they will start stocking it.
        Aaron Poscovsky
      • John Duino
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 2, 2007
          Hi!

          To reword what someone else said (sorry I forgot to register WHO said it
          before I hit delete), MTL does make 2nd/3rd runs eventually, but you
          have to fit it into the production schedule. MTL only has so many
          painters, so many assemblers, so many testers...and if they are
          producing that then something else 'new' can't come out. This crowd is a
          fickle one...if they re-run then people complain that nothing new is
          coming out. If it's all new stuff then people want reissues. Short of
          staffing up, going 24/7, and expanding the facilities (all costly)
          there's no way of pleasing everyone.

          Having been around Z for awhile (first 'taste' in 77, more seriously
          since ~98) I can't be more pleased with the variety of goodies available
          in Z nowadays.

          --
          *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
          | John Duino | 23 Tidewater Cove |
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, John Duino <jduino@...> wrote:
            >This crowd is a
            > fickle one...if they re-run then people complain that nothing new is
            > coming out. If it's all new stuff then people want reissues. Short
            of staffing up, going 24/7, and expanding the facilities (all costly)
            > there's no way of pleasing everyone.
            > Having been around Z for awhile (first 'taste' in 77, more seriously
            > since ~98) I can't be more pleased with the variety of goodies
            >available in Z nowadays.

            I could not agree more! There's a wealth of stuff available in Z
            these days, and I can't imagine folks in this segment of the hobby
            being anything less than thrilled. It was many years in coming.

            I'm not sure what the problem is with today's consumer-hobbyists.
            They seem to want everything that THEY want, and they want it NOW! I
            see this in the other scales I model, and in some or most cases it is
            doing more harm to the hobby than good. As I've said so often in
            recent years: We hobbyists are our own worst enemies. We've gotten
            to the point where too many of us see "things" as the be-all and
            end-all, and too few, apparently, are willing to enjoy and make good
            use of what is already available (in variety and quantity never seen
            before) or what they already have. As I see it, the hobby is about
            far more than simply acquiring "things." It's about putting what we
            do have (and can afford) to good use. It's about creating, imagining,
            dreaming, acquiring new skills, learning about the history and
            heritage of railroading, relaxing in those all-too-rare leisure hours,
            and sharing in the spirit of good fellowship.

            If MTL or someone else announces something you want to buy, establish
            a good, regular relationship with a dealer and get your order placed
            on their list. Otherwise, take your chances when the item is
            eventually released and find a dealer who has it available or shop the
            secondary market.

            My feeling is that MTL, in particular, has done a very good job in
            giving folks a heads-up about what they are planning, and estimating
            when it may be available. They try to be realistic in meeting the
            expectations of the many diverse individuals in the hobby, but they
            are, I'm sure, fully aware that they can't be all things to all
            people. Nor should they try to be! Z scale is still a small niche in
            a much larger hobby, and any business in this hobby has to be very
            careful about the approaches they follow to assure their reasonable
            growth and profitability.
          • Uwe Liermann
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
              Hello Allan,

              I fully agree with this from your mail (I quote it first, even if it
              was in your mail later on):

              > My feeling is that MTL, in particular, has done a very good job

              and I also agree with this:

              > I could not agree more! There's a wealth of stuff available in Z
              > these days, and I can't imagine folks in this segment of the hobby
              > being anything less than thrilled. It was many years in coming.

              and I also agree with this:

              > I'm not sure what the problem is with today's consumer-hobbyists.
              > They seem to want everything that THEY want, and they want it NOW! I
              > see this in the other scales I model, and in some or most cases it is
              > doing more harm to the hobby than good.

              You're right that the "I want it ALL NOW" feeling is doing harm, even
              if it seems to be the usual feeling for many things nowadays. But
              there are also people who doesn't want it ALL NOW. And for them this:

              > If MTL or someone else announces something you want to buy, establish
              > a good, regular relationship with a dealer and get your order placed
              > on their list. Otherwise, take your chances when the item is
              > eventually released and find a dealer who has it available or shop the
              > secondary market.

              is not the perfect solution. I see a lot of items that I would like to
              have or use sometimes, but I can't afford all of them right now.
              Partly because of my budget, and also partly because I'm not that far
              in my development yet. I have a relatively long wish list about items
              I want to have, and also for some that I would like to see, but that
              are not available yet. A lot of items that were produced earlier are
              only available via the secondary market. I think for the manufacturers
              it would be a lot better if the consumer could buy new, instead of
              hoping that an item will show up on EBay sometimes. Besides buying
              something on EBay won't bring any money to the original manufacturer.

              The same is true, I believe, for the growth of the Z customer numbers.
              If they see something, and want to knew where they can get it, now
              often you have to tell them "XYZ made this, but you will have to see
              if you find it at EBay...". This isn't a good argument for getting
              into Z.

              I knew the solution for this problem isn't easy, maybe especially for
              the small producer of things.

              --
              GreetingZ
              Uwe
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                At 9:56 AM +0000 6/3/07, Allan Miller wrote:
                >I'm not sure what the problem is with today's consumer-hobbyists.
                >They seem to want everything that THEY want, and they want it NOW! I
                >see this in the other scales I model, and in some or most cases it is
                >doing more harm to the hobby than good. As I've said so often in

                I'd just like to point out that I'm not saying I want everything I
                want for my trains NOW! Quite the opposite, I'm happy to wait, and
                add an item here and there. It helps to keep things affordable.

                What I am saying is that when I walk into a train store a couple days
                after a new car, or cars are announced and am informed that I can't
                buy them, because the store is sold out and can't get any more from
                MTL, I consider this to be a problem.

                Call me strange, but I for one would rather pay more to support a
                store in my own community, I don't want to have to order online from
                another state. In fact this is one reason that I really like buying
                MTL products, I'm an Oregonian, and by buying MTL I'm helping to
                support an Oregon business.

                >If MTL or someone else announces something you want to buy, establish
                >a good, regular relationship with a dealer and get your order placed
                >on their list. Otherwise, take your chances when the item is
                >eventually released and find a dealer who has it available or shop the
                >secondary market.

                >My feeling is that MTL, in particular, has done a very good job in
                >giving folks a heads-up about what they are planning, and estimating
                >when it may be available. They try to be realistic in meeting the

                OK, I'm curious, am I missing something here? We know that the Army
                train is coming around the bend, and that the GP9's are on the way.
                We actually know what the first GP9 will be. We also know about the
                passenger cars and F8's (or is it E8). I'd like the Army train, but
                will probably pass on it, unless I happen to get lucky and spot it in
                my FLHS and decide on a whim to buy it. The rest I'll be wanting to
                buy if I can get the roads I'm collecting.

                All of the above info is very vague though, and it's hard to place
                orders on vague. Can you tell me what the July cars are? This is
                what I'm talking about. How are we to know if any of the July cars
                are anything we want to get? By the time we do find out if they are
                something we want, we run the risk of them being sold out before we
                can get them.

                Zane

                | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
              • Mike D.
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                  Uwe I have never seen a response so eloquently worded, you are truly the
                  politician! I vote for you for Mayor of Zville, will someone second the
                  nomination? I�ve never seen such a swift �reverse 180� are you into racing
                  too?

                  In regards to second runs being cheaper for MTL to do that�s simply
                  ridiculous even with existing molds, labor has gone up and so is every other
                  aspect of manufacturing. Tooling could have even changed requiring mold
                  modifications or complete rework of the molds/new molds altogether. So no it
                  won�t be cheaper even with the very same production house.

                  Another question that comes to mind, why are they beating to death the same
                  old lines? Why aren�t they doing anything in the Fallen Flags lines? Those
                  lines are still being modeled in fairly large numbers and most of the stuff
                  is coming from the cottage industry side of MRR, thank the almighty for
                  those guy�s if it weren�t for them we�d all be running BNSF, CSX, UP, and
                  SP.

                  Just take a look at what Chad did recently, with only some help from Uncle
                  Will, he brought in the Bill K. car, On Time, At Cost. He didn�t sit in a
                  conference room bickering with the N Scale team and he didn�t have to
                  connive management for a budget, AND he didn�t leave a Single modeler
                  hanging in the lurch.

                  All this makes one Really Appreciate all the efforts of Robert, Tim, Rob,
                  Loren, Uncle Will, Trainnut and now Chad. Thanks Guys you are truly the
                  Gucci�s and Armani�s of small scale model railroading today!

                  Aaron, I can always expect to see some responsible and pertinent to the
                  subject at hand when I read your posts. Hopefully someone at MTL will take
                  heed of your suggestion?

                  To take that a step further they should also have regional reps to include
                  Canada, Germany, Switzerland, Norway and Denmark or at the very least an
                  order/pre-order form on the MTL website where they could then offer the reps
                  exclusive access to projected sales in their areas. MTL should also come to
                  terms with the fact that they aren�t a little company any more. Trust me
                  there is nothing sitting on the shelves of my LHS for more than a day or two
                  excepting the standard stock of Micro-Track. If I�m not there by Friday of
                  the week it�s released, well shame on me.

                  Right now they are the largest supplier of mass produced Z scale items, this
                  won�t always be the case. Other manufacturers are bound to see the revenue
                  potential and squeeze their way in as well. The stunt with the N Scale Pan
                  Am car won you more than a few disgruntled fans (not the best marketing
                  approach ever deployed). Also why didn�t we even see this car in Z scale?
                  Hmmm?

                  /s/ Another HAVE TO HAVE IT RIGHT NOW, hurting the Hobby, Z Scale enthusiast

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                    We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.

                    It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is money
                    in Z.

                    ...don

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Mike D." <zscaletrains@...> wrote:

                    > Uwe I have never seen a response so eloquently worded, you are truly
                    the
                    > politician!
                  • Karin Svenson
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

                      > We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.
                      >
                      > It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is
                      money
                      > in Z.

                      Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
                      plastic pipe!

                      My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
                      plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
                      Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
                      water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
                      can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
                      just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
                      are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
                      Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
                      to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
                      automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
                      driving now.

                      I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
                      chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
                      least THINKING about it, no?

                      Karin
                    • Don Avila
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                        My worthless guess is that some of these manufacturers will take a
                        GOOD look around Detroit this summer, and then begin to consider
                        spending some tooling money. Detroit is only 8 weeks away -- Isn't
                        that 7+1 or 6+2? It's a big commitment to start off on another scale.
                        And there is a BIG chicken/egg world out there that has to pay the
                        bills. I see Loren was helping promote the product in San Jose
                        yesterday/today] ...don

                        - - -

                        > Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
                        > plastic pipe!
                        >
                        > My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
                        > plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
                        > Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
                        > water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
                        > can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
                        > just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
                        > are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
                        > Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
                        > to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
                        > automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
                        > driving now.
                        >
                        > I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
                        > chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
                        > least THINKING about it, no?
                        >
                        > Karin

                      • Mike D.
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                          Say It Ain't So, Don...

                          MTL is operated by two women? Well that explains that.

                          My dealer called them in inquire about a car for me and something called
                          'runner set's #4 and #5 it think it was, the woman who answered the phone
                          not knowing she was on speaker phone didn't just get nasty real quick, she
                          got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack did)
                          looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all my life.
                          No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer like that
                          for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.

                          I'm not taking anything away from women in business I hope all will
                          understand. But from this attitude it's clearly evident nothing will change
                          and those personnel at MTL must have their hands full in dealing with that
                          kind of mentality. They must of had to walk to school (uphill, both ways).

                          Karin, I sure hope your assessment is right, for them to not take advantage
                          while they 'Owned' the market and had the chance to establish themselves as
                          the leader. To just give the opportunity away, well that just seems to be
                          the American way these days. I realize all to well that if it was easy then
                          boy scouts and girl scouts would be doing it. Whats going on here is just a
                          shame, a plain ole shame.

                          /s/ Not Really a GOT TO HAVE IT NOW, disgruntled, Hurting the Hobby, MTL
                          fan.

                          >From: "Karin Svenson" <karin@...>
                          >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: MTL Production Numbers
                          >Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 23:21:27 -0000
                          >
                          >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > We can talk to ourselves until we are blue in the face.
                          > >
                          > > It is the two sisters at MTL that have to be convinces there is
                          >money
                          > > in Z.
                          >
                          >Don, just don't turn into one of those "Blue Guys" that play with
                          >plastic pipe!
                          >
                          >My 2 bits worth is this... if MTL's leadership doesn't step up to the
                          >plate and if AZL remains too expensive for many then I hope Athearn,
                          >Atlas, Bachmann, or similar companies to put their toes in the
                          >water. Remember, they didn't go into N scale right away and now you
                          >can get some very nice prototypical motive power and rolling stock in
                          >just about all of the major road names, even in Alaska! Granted some
                          >are cheaper than others but they offer affordable high end N scale.
                          >Competition is what gets us more, and better, in every product known
                          >to man. I'm glad old man Henry Ford wasn't the only producer of
                          >automobiles, who knows what few styles and low efficieny cars we'd be
                          >driving now.
                          >
                          >I cannot believe that these other companies are not rubbing their
                          >chins as they contemplate the Z scale market. They have to be at
                          >least THINKING about it, no?
                          >
                          >Karin

                          Live Hotmail.
                        • Don Avila
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                            Give Loren a couple of days to get his feet back on the ground and
                            drop him an Email. He's been at a train show with Joe with at least
                            two of the new GP9's fully decorated. Check out TRAINBOARD for the
                            colors. Loren is in at MTL regularly and can can fill you in on
                            details, even the names of who to write to or whatever. I didn't
                            think the sisters answered the phones, but who knows. MTL has quite a
                            few employees.

                            ...don

                            > Say It Ain't So, Don...
                            >
                            > MTL is operated by two women? Well that explains that.
                            >
                            > My dealer called them in inquire about a car for me and something
                            called
                            > 'runner set's #4 and #5 it think it was, the woman who answered the
                            phone
                            > not knowing she was on speaker phone didn't just get nasty real
                            quick, she
                            > got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack
                            did)
                            > looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all
                            my life.
                            > No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer
                            like that
                            > for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.
                            >
                            > I'm not taking anything away from women in business I hope all will
                            > understand. But from this attitude it's clearly evident nothing will
                            change
                            > and those personnel at MTL must have their hands full in dealing
                            with that
                            > kind of mentality. They must of had to walk to school (uphill, both
                            ways).

                            > Karin, I sure hope your assessment is right, for them to not take
                            advantage
                            > while they 'Owned' the market and had the chance to establish
                            themselves as
                            > the leader. To just give the opportunity away, well that just seems
                            to be
                            > the American way these days. I realize all to well that if it was
                            easy then
                            > boy scouts and girl scouts would be doing it. Whats going on here is
                            just a
                            > shame, a plain ole shame.
                          • Joe DAmato
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
                              Boy, I go to San Francisco for a day of train runnin' and come back
                              to this!! :o)

                              Hey, I'd love to tell you all what's coming in the way of road names,
                              but that's a lot more complicated than talking about new product
                              development. It's also something done by a different part of the
                              company and I think there's someting to do with letting dealers know
                              what and when and when to let customers know, and what and
                              when...oye..my head hurts. We've come a long way in the past 4 years
                              and I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to move and change in the
                              comming months and years...and as we do I announce what I can.

                              Cheers

                              Joe

                            • Alan Cox
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                                > got ultra-NASTY. Now my dealer (who looks exactly like Wolfman Jack did)
                                > looked at me with the widest eyes I've ever seen on a Human in all my life.
                                > No no receptionist in the world would dare to speak to a customer like that
                                > for fear of her job, so it had to be one of these women.

                                So get her name and get her fired. And tell me you've never had a man do
                                the same...
                              • Garth Hamilton
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                                  Guys if you are so sure you can do a better job then go get a job at
                                  MTL or better yet make an offer the current owners can not turn down
                                  and show us what you can do. Otherwise you are a lay preacher
                                  preaching to the already converted and it a rehash of what we have
                                  all heard. MTL management is not listening here. Joe is that is a
                                  truly bright light so don't blow it out.

                                  Garth Hamilton
                                  one of the converted
                                • Edward Scullin
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
                                    Joe
                                    We can't really ask for any more than that. BUT
                                    Ed Scullin
                                    Thanks for filling us in when you can.