why a nose?

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2007
      Hello all,

      today I've been meeting with some local MRR here in town...

      one guy asked me if I knew why the American diesels like the F7 or the
      GPs always have a nose, and don't have the cab in front of the engine
      like the European engines. He said that he had heard that is for
      safety reasons in case of a accident so that the coupler won't crash
      into the cab when the cars ride up onto the engine? Is this one or the
      reason, or are there different explanations? The visibility in front
      of the engine would be much better if the cab was at the front of
      the engine.

      An additional thought for the different style between European and
      American design might be that here in Europe (mostly) we don't have
      the central coupler that also works as a buffer.

      --
      GreetingZ
      Uwe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > today I've been meeting with some local MRR here in town...
        >
        > one guy asked me if I knew why the American diesels like the F7 or
        the
        > GPs always have a nose, and don't have the cab in front of the
        engine
        > like the European engines. He said that he had heard that is for
        > safety reasons in case of a accident so that the coupler won't crash
        > into the cab when the cars ride up onto the engine? Is this one or
        the
        > reason, or are there different explanations? The visibility in front
        > of the engine would be much better if the cab was at the front of
        > the engine.
        >
        > An additional thought for the different style between European and
        > American design might be that here in Europe (mostly) we don't have
        > the central coupler that also works as a buffer.
        >
        > --
        > GreetingZ
        > Uwe

        You gotta put the toilet somewhere.
        Steve
      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
          Hello Steve,

          >> why the American diesels [...] always have a nose

          > You gotta put the toilet somewhere.

          LOL

          ...but then did the American engines have a safety device where the
          engineer has to push a button, or step on a pedal every 30 seconds or
          so to ensure that he's still in control? How can he do that when he's
          following this call of nature...

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
            That is what the fireman is for??? DEWEY

            Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote: Hello Steve,

            >> why the American diesels [...] always have a nose

            > You gotta put the toilet somewhere.

            LOL

            ...but then did the American engines have a safety device where
            engineer has to push a button, or step on a pedal every 30 seconds or
            so to ensure that he's still in control? How can he do that when he's
            following this call of nature...

            --
            GreetingZ
            Uwe

            Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
              Yes They have a dead mans switch. On of the other crew take over.{fireman
              or conductor}