Re: [Z_Scale] Re: New Rock Star at MTL

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 48 , May 28, 2007
      Hi Dan,
      You hit the nail on the head about the reversing levers
      on steam engines. I don't know why a manufacture would
      go to all the trouble to provide many of the intricate details
      of a steam engine and then leave off the reversing levers!
      It is one of the most beautiful things to see in operation
      - so intricate and unexpected!

      Yes, better executed headlamps that have constant
      brightness would be a big, big improvement to Z scale
      steamers. That is a design problem that is begging for
      a logical, cost effective solution.

      As for railings, bells, cylinders and domes, etc. ---
      these all could be provided by a conscientious designer
      without adding that much to the cost. But only if taken
      into consideration at the outset of the project. Aftermarket
      add-ons can be difficult and costly.

      Marklin and MTL both, have vastly improved
      every product they make for Z scale over the past 25 years!
      The intention of my comments is to advance the pleasure
      and satisfaction of the hobby, a continuous process of
      learning, critiquing, trying harder. Z scale, though small,
      is a great big challenge on the drafting table.

      Best regardZ

      Reynard
      On May 28, 2007, at 8:34 PM, dpstripe@... wrote:

      > Reynard,
      > Thanks for the kind words. I would have to agree that making a "one
      > size
      > fits all" detailing kit for steam locomotives would be difficult,
      > especially
      > considering what is already available in other scales that are readily
      > available, inexpensive, and actually don't work out bad. That being
      > said, there are
      > several little tidbits that would really be nice to have "true to
      > scale". These
      > include power reverse mechanisms, generators, air compressors,
      > reservoirs,
      > pilots, headlights... And many of these could be used for many roads.
      > Dan S.
      >
      > In a message dated 5/28/2007 10:36:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > micron@... writes:
      >
      > Dan,
      > You did justice to the locomotive. It has all the character
      > of the real steamers that I can occasionally find on Utube videos.
      > Real steam engines never look like they just came off
      > the showroom floor anyway. Once they get stoked up they
      > turn into fire breathing dragons with scary chuffs, groans
      > and screeches!
      >
      > Entertaining the idea of making a kit with a combination of cast
      > metal pieces and photoetched brass does intrigue me, but
      > it could be a while. Should have several variations for different
      > lines and road numbers but I seriously doubt that I could see
      > much return for all the effort and money.
      >
      > Best to do the kind of modeling we can all do without too much
      > outlay, "scrounge & scratch building"! Back in 1998 I also modified
      > one of Marklin's DB German ten wheelers using some Nn3 sand
      > domes. Then I etched a very nice but hard to assemble "cattle catcher"
      > for it. Painted the annoying little red driver spokes black and except
      > for the dorky tender (which I left unmodified) it came
      > out looking pretty cool.
      >
      > Good job on your Mikados. It is most enjoyable to see some
      > realistic looking steamers in Z scale. And for me they are beautiful.
      >
      > Best regardZ,
      > Reynard

    • Reynard Wellman
      Message 48 of 48 , May 28, 2007