Re: MTL GP35

  • Al Lautenslager
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 28, 2007
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@...>
      wrote:
      Mike,
      Thanks for the input. I will check it out for sure. Sure do not ant
      to tear down the trucks. May try using my ultrasonic cleaner first.
      Thanks again,
      Al

      > Hello,
      >
      > Recently at a Tri State Z Scalers meet, we discovered what sounds
      like a similar problem with recent releases of the MTL GP35, Conrail
      in particular. It looks like MTL changed their assembly method by now
      heat welding the walkways to the rest of the body rather than how
      they used to do it by simple snap fitting them. I have no idea why
      they made this change and it looks sloppy as well. Anyway, after
      completely dissasembling 2 of the problem locomotives, which the
      shells were difficult to remove from the chassies, I discovered the
      heat welding produces some "flash" which is then painted over before
      they put the shells on. This flash (thin flakes of plastic and paint)
      had flaked off and some got into the gears causing them to run
      noticeable slower and the power pack had to be turned up much higher
      than usual to achieve any speed.

      > The solution was to clean the mechanizum thoughly and then
      reassemble the chassie and re-oil. Next was to scrape/cut the excess
      flash from the innner part of the body, being sure to blow away the
      cut flashing. Now the bodies fit well on the chassie and can be
      easily removed like the previous runs that the heat welding was not
      used in the assemly process. The exterior part of the body was
      unaffected by the scraping/cutting.

      > The end result was a happy member with nice running GP35s that
      still look factory new. A couple other members had loco's with the
      same problem, but they chose to return them. I don't know if this is
      your problem Al, but worth checking out IMHO. BTW, these GP35's did
      not have decoders installed.

      > LMK if this helps and anyone else that may have noticed this
      problem. I hope MTL discontinues this heat welding process. Bezt
      regards.

      > Michael Hilliard
      > Wilton, CT USA
      > Tri State Z Scaler (NY, NJ, & CT)
      >

      > John Mui <jmui@...> wrote:
      > Al, the only other thing I can suggest is switch the
      decoder. You want to
      > see wether the decoder is bad, or the engine is bad.
      >
      > John

      Any