RE: [Z_Scale] MTL Passenger Car's in the Works and other stuff..

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hey John,
      I'll bet if Joe threw his hat into the presidential ring right about now, he
      d get all the Z scalers's votes..suppose? :O)

      Loren

      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
        You peeked!!!!
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John & Sue Bartolotto" <jsbart@...>
        wrote:

        > Hail to MTL! Now after that Joe follow it up with some 1890
        Overlands or
        > Overtons!
        >

        > Great work!
        >

        > John
        >

        > _____

        Behalf Of
        > Joe DAmato
        > Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 5:51 PM
        > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [Z_Scale] MTL Passenger Car's in the Works and other
        stuff..

        > Just got the ok to let everyone know that we are in the process of
        > working up a series of Smooth Side, Pullman Standard (and others
        > later)Passenger cars. I can't talk due dates or car styles (figure
        > the usual suspects!)at this point, those have been decided and we
        are
        > working on them as we speak. I'll be able to say more in a few
        > weeks. These will be 100% injection molded, no resin or photo
        etched
        > sides... with all new trucks, accurate details and flawless paint.
        > am working on a way to get power into the cars for lighting, not
        sure
        > if that will be the initial offering, but it is being addressed.
        I'm
        > really stoked about doing this project!!
        >
        > Also an update on the SD40-2...making lightning progress on it.
        > Chassis and trucks are designed and tooling should start in short
        > order. Steve got the plastic shell components are designed,and we
        > are looking at doing plastic railing that plug in much like the
        Kato
        > N Scale engines do. I am also trying to get an accessory sprue
        > designed that will have some "fussy bits" (as the Brits say)
        included
        > so you can convert and or super detail your engine. Pricing TBD,
        > costs are going up everywhere, but I think we will come in close to
        > the GP-35's...
        >
        > I will also be securing next year's production in a few weeks and
        > will know what we will be doing. All in all, including new track
        > pieces in development (220 Straight and 100-120mm adaptor track
        > section) 07 and 08 are looking good for Z.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Joe
        >
        > PS...this is not a late April Fool's prank!!

      • pinekirk
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

          >we are looking at doing plastic railing that plug in much like the
          Kato
          > N Scale engines do. I am also trying to get an accessory sprue
          > designed that will have some "fussy bits" (as the Brits say) included
          > so you can convert and or super detail your engine.
          > Cheers
          > Joe

          This is probably good news. but i hope everyone at MTL realizes that
          with plastic railings will also come CONSTANT orders for replacement
          parts (better hire another parts order-taker person). Atlas,
          Intermountain, all have constant orders (or worse -- returns) due to
          broken plastic railings on their N scale offerings.

          i personally really like the metal, they are very durable and can be
          modified for kitbashing. If MTL were to go to plastic, I would suppose
          you would need to use a delrin type plastic as the railings would be
          VERY thin and need the kind of durability.

          unfortunately, delrin type plastics are REALLY tough to glue/re-glue
          (if they can be done at all). so doing the railings like this would cut
          off the kitbashers of the world, which would be VERY counterproductive
          to the growth of Z scale. the SD40-2 will be a MOST "bashable" unit!

          i do hope you will consider this carefully. i contend that the etched
          railings are one of the real strengths of the current Z scale loco
          designs.
          my 2 cents.
          dave f.
        • Joe DAmato
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
            Dewey

            No idea at this point, I'm not a member of that part of the food
            chain here at MTL. I suspect they will be a bit more expensive
            because of the size and all... As for lighting and interiors, we
            have to look at what it would cost to install all that, or just offer
            an upgrade kit for those folks who want and need that option.
            Frankly, I don't need lit cars on my layout, and would hate to go
            full monty on this and make it too expensive for the general Z
            hobbyist. I think a kit with a light board and pickups as a secondary
            product might be a good option. This is stuff Management needs to
            address once I put my two cents in.

            Cheers

            Joe

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...> wrote:

            > Joe...
            > Are you allowed to give a price range, and will the cars
            have interiors?

            DEWEY

            > Joe DAmato <shipsure2003@...> wrote:
            > Just got the ok to let everyone know that we are in the process
            of
            > working up a series of Smooth Side, Pullman Standard (and others
            > later)Passenger cars. I can't talk due dates or car styles (figure
            > the usual suspects!)at this point, those have been decided and we
            are
            > working on them as we speak. I'll be able to say more in a few
            > weeks. These will be 100% injection molded, no resin or photo
            etched
            > sides... with all new trucks, accurate details and flawless paint.
            > am working on a way to get power into the cars for lighting, not
            sure
            > if that will be the initial offering, but it is being addressed.
            I'm
            > really stoked about doing this project!!
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Joe
            >
            > PS...this is not a late April Fool's prank!!

          • John & Sue Bartolotto
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
              Joe, Joe, Joe, please don't tease me like that dude!! You don't know how
              ecstatic I would be with NYC&HR Overlands!!!!

              John

              _____

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                Joe,
                With inflation being on the steady rise you need to tell management that you
                want at least a nickel's worth of their time :o)
                Loren

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Well...I have to send out plenty of metal railings each week now, and
                  most of them are unpainted cause I'm out of painted ones. I guess
                  it's trading one problem for another. For MTL, it allows us to paint
                  the sides of the cars much easier since the railings are at times
                  different colors than the sides of the cars...also the cost...pennies
                  vs dollars for the metal parts. I'm trying to steamline production
                  and cut costs and still have a superior product and I have to
                  consider what the average guy is going to do with these. It's not
                  out of the realm of possiblity that I have some sheets of metal
                  raillings done for guys who want to "convert"...I just figured I
                  would do such a good job that you just couldn't bring yourself to cut
                  them up...I mean, you come over my house for my Lasagna and try and
                  make it into Bean Soup...we got issues buddy. :o)

                  Joe
                  MTL

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "pinekirk" <pinekirk@...> wrote:

                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >we are looking at doing plastic railing that plug in much like the
                  > Kato
                  > > N Scale engines do. I am also trying to get an accessory sprue
                  > > designed that will have some "fussy bits" (as the Brits say)
                  included
                  > > so you can convert and or super detail your engine.
                  > > Cheers
                  > > Joe
                  > >

                  > This is probably good news. but i hope everyone at MTL realizes
                  that
                  > with plastic railings will also come CONSTANT orders for
                  replacement
                  > parts (better hire another parts order-taker person). Atlas,
                  > Intermountain, all have constant orders (or worse -- returns) due
                  > broken plastic railings on their N scale offerings.
                  >
                  > i personally really like the metal, they are very durable and can
                  be
                  > modified for kitbashing. If MTL were to go to plastic, I would
                  suppose
                  > you would need to use a delrin type plastic as the railings would
                  be
                  > VERY thin and need the kind of durability.
                  >
                  > unfortunately, delrin type plastics are REALLY tough to glue/re-
                  glue
                  > (if they can be done at all). so doing the railings like this would
                  cut
                  > off the kitbashers of the world, which would be VERY
                  counterproductive
                  > to the growth of Z scale. the SD40-2 will be a MOST "bashable"
                  unit!

                  > i do hope you will consider this carefully. i contend that the
                  etched
                  > railings are one of the real strengths of the current Z scale loco
                  > designs.
                  > my 2 cents.
                  > dave f.

                • Don Avila
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                    My three cents, and I AM a customer is to forget the inernals. For
                    the few folks that want lighting and interiors, with kitchen sinks and
                    working lavs, I say get out the #11 Xacto. Just how much are you
                    going to see through those 'picture' windows? IT'S Z ZIZED. Lionel
                    Trains had it right with stick-on people on the windows, and they are
                    just a "tad" larger than Z. If Joe pushed for interiors on an
                    economic rate of return of more than zero, we might lose our
                    "BrandX/Z" representative.

                    ...don

                    Z.--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

                    > Dewey
                    >
                    > No idea at this point, I'm not a member of that part of the food
                    > chain here at MTL. I suspect they will be a bit more expensive
                    > because of the size and all... As for lighting and interiors, we
                    > have to look at what it would cost to install all that, or just offer
                    > an upgrade kit for those folks who want and need that option.
                    > Frankly, I don't need lit cars on my layout, and would hate to go
                    > full monty on this and make it too expensive for the general Z
                    > hobbyist. I think a kit with a light board and pickups as a secondary
                    > product might be a good option. This is stuff Management needs to
                    > address once I put my two cents in.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Joe
                    >
                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Joe...
                    > > Are you allowed to give a price range, and will the cars
                    > have interiors?
                    > >
                    > DEWEY
                    > >
                    > > Joe DAmato <shipsure2003@> wrote:
                    > > Just got the ok to let everyone know that we are in the process
                    > of
                    > > working up a series of Smooth Side, Pullman Standard (and others
                    > > later)Passenger cars. I can't talk due dates or car styles (figure
                    > > the usual suspects!)at this point, those have been decided and we
                    > are
                    > > working on them as we speak. I'll be able to say more in a few
                    > > weeks. These will be 100% injection molded, no resin or photo
                    > etched
                    > > sides... with all new trucks, accurate details and flawless paint.
                    > > am working on a way to get power into the cars for lighting, not
                    > sure
                    > > if that will be the initial offering, but it is being addressed.
                    > I'm
                    > > really stoked about doing this project!!
                    > >
                    > > Cheers
                    > >
                    > > Joe
                    > >
                    > > PS...this is not a late April Fool's prank!!

                  • Robert Ray
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                      Don Avila wrote:
                      > My three cents, and I AM a customer is to forget the inernals. For
                      > the few folks that want lighting and interiors, with kitchen sinks and
                      > working lavs, I say get out the #11 Xacto.

                      The thing is Don, when a new product is being designed is the best time
                      to get all the design work done. If KATOesque electrical pickup trucks
                      are designed as the standard, then all kinds of custom lighting
                      projects are possible down the road.

                      If you want to attract people from other scales to Z, you need to apply
                      some of the more mundane, basic features, that are included in the
                      other scales, like electrical pickup trucks with metal wheels, and a
                      preformed row of seats so people can stick figures in them later on if
                      desired.

                      How do you compare a Marklin Z US passenger car with a new Rapido HO
                      Passenger car for the same price? The Z one is a lumpy toy train like
                      model, and the HO one is a beautiful scale representation of an exact
                      prototype.

                      I vote for a quality scale model with potential upgrades like flicker
                      free lighting and interior, and would gladly pay a premium for it, and
                      use the old Marklin cars for cheap kitbash fodder.

                      -Robert
                    • pinekirk
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

                        > It's not
                        > out of the realm of possiblity that I have some sheets of metal
                        > raillings done for guys who want to "convert"...I just figured I
                        > would do such a good job that you just couldn't bring yourself to cut
                        > them up...I mean, you come over my house for my Lasagna and try and
                        > make it into Bean Soup...we got issues buddy. :o)
                        >
                        > Joe

                        Heaven Forbid! i would never (sort of) WANT to cut up a beautiful MTL
                        shell! so ... how soon after the SD40-2 release would the tunnel
                        motors be out?

                        only YOU, Joe, can save those shells from the hands of Z scale butchers
                        (and strippers)!
                        dave f.
                      • John Duino
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                          <SNIP...a little creative editing...>
                          > Well...you come over my house for my Lasagna
                          </SNIP>

                          So when's dinner? :)

                          And remember, when teasing John B, he has large, mobile firepower at his
                          disposal! He may hook up with Robert out here in Hemet for a palletized
                          drop of an M1 in your backyard!

                          BTW, all cool announcements! Great products to appeal, and whatever you
                          (MTL) decide I'm sure will be good for the hobby as a whole!

                          John
                        • John Mui
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                            Dave, didn't you tell me that you seal all those wonderful engines in air
                            tight boxes so that special Oregon air doesn't escape. :D Dave, I am with
                            you. I am not going to cut or strip a SD40, just like the GP35.

                            John
                            >> out of the realm of possiblity that I have some sheets of metal
                            >> raillings done for guys who want to "convert"...I just figured I
                            >> would do such a good job that you just couldn't bring yourself to cut
                            >> them up...I mean, you come over my house for my Lasagna and try and
                            >> make it into Bean Soup...we got issues buddy. :o)
                            >>
                            >> Joe
                            >>

                            > Heaven Forbid! i would never (sort of) WANT to cut up a beautiful MTL
                            > shell! so ... how soon after the SD40-2 release would the tunnel
                            > motors be out?
                            >
                            > only YOU, Joe, can save those shells from the hands of Z scale butchers
                            > (and strippers)!
                            > dave f.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Reynard Wellman
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                              Hi Robert,
                              MTL these days seems to have the right philosophy
                              for pushing the technology ahead for Z scale. Becoming
                              a world leader in innovations like these and still maintaining
                              the details of specific era charm, brings a smile to our
                              faces, I agree. MTL's work has proven to be accurate
                              while performing very well to boot!

                              Best regardZ,
                              Reynard
                              On Apr 2, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Robert Ray wrote:

                              > Don Avila wrote:
                              > > My three cents, and I AM a customer is to forget the inernals. For
                              > > the few folks that want lighting and interiors, with kitchen
                              > sinks and
                              > > working lavs, I say get out the #11 Xacto.
                              >
                              > The thing is Don, when a new product is being designed is the best
                              > time
                              > to get all the design work done. If KATOesque electrical pickup trucks
                              > are designed as the standard, then all kinds of custom lighting
                              > projects are possible down the road.
                              >
                              > If you want to attract people from other scales to Z, you need to
                              > apply
                              > some of the more mundane, basic features, that are included in the
                              > other scales, like electrical pickup trucks with metal wheels, and a
                              > preformed row of seats so people can stick figures in them later on if
                              > desired.
                              >
                              > How do you compare a Marklin Z US passenger car with a new Rapido HO
                              > Passenger car for the same price? The Z one is a lumpy toy train like
                              > model, and the HO one is a beautiful scale representation of an exact
                              > prototype.
                              >
                              > I vote for a quality scale model with potential upgrades like flicker
                              > free lighting and interior, and would gladly pay a premium for it, and
                              > use the old Marklin cars for cheap kitbash fodder.
                              >
                              > -Robert

                            • Zane H. Healy
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                                > full monty on this and make it too expensive for the general Z
                                > hobbyist. I think a kit with a light board and pickups as a secondary
                                > product might be a good option. This is stuff Management needs to
                                > address once I put my two cents in.

                                I think the add-on sounds good. While it sounds neat, I can't honestly see
                                why on earth I would want lighted passenger cards. I'm more interested in
                                affordable at this point than I am lights.

                                I assume this isn't something you could flick on and off... Now that would
                                be cool, and I'd probably have to get that! :^)

                                Zane
                              • FT. Dewey
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                                  Joe...
                                  Thanks for the reply. An upgrade kit for the interiors would be fine with me. I know that some people would view interiors as an un-needed expense.
                                  DEWEY

                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" wrote:

                                  > Joe...
                                  > Are you allowed to give a price range, and will the cars
                                  have interiors?

                                  DEWEY

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                                    How about Clap on Clap off... :o)

                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                                    > > full monty on this and make it too expensive for the general Z
                                    > > hobbyist. I think a kit with a light board and pickups as a
                                    secondary
                                    > > product might be a good option. This is stuff Management needs
                                    > > address once I put my two cents in.
                                    >
                                    > I think the add-on sounds good. While it sounds neat, I can't
                                    honestly see
                                    > why on earth I would want lighted passenger cards. I'm more
                                    interested in
                                    > affordable at this point than I am lights.
                                    >
                                    > I assume this isn't something you could flick on and off... Now
                                    that would
                                    > be cool, and I'd probably have to get that! :^)
                                    >
                                    > Zane

                                  • Ellsworth Geib
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
                                      Git-R-Done, Joe! That would be fun at shows when the kids found out.

                                      Ell

                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

                                      > How about Clap on Clap off... :o)
                                      >
                                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > full monty on this and make it too expensive for the general Z
                                      > > > hobbyist. I think a kit with a light board and pickups as a
                                      > secondary
                                      > > > product might be a good option. This is stuff Management needs
                                      > > > address once I put my two cents in.
                                      > >
                                      > > I think the add-on sounds good. While it sounds neat, I can't
                                      > honestly see
                                      > > why on earth I would want lighted passenger cards. I'm more
                                      > interested in
                                      > > affordable at this point than I am lights.
                                      > >
                                      > > I assume this isn't something you could flick on and off... Now
                                      > that would
                                      > > be cool, and I'd probably have to get that! :^)
                                      > >
                                      > > Zane

                                    • Reynard Wellman
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
                                        Hello Robert & Joe,

                                        I have some of Oliver Passman's lighted SP Daylight coaches
                                        and they are cool! He makes a kit for lighting up Marklin
                                        Z passenger cars that works just fine. So really there's no excuse
                                        for a manufacturer like MTL or AZL not to provide lighted
                                        coaches at least as an option these days.

                                        I had enough of cheap N scale equipment back in the
                                        70's and 80's. Now days all N scale equipment has become
                                        spectacularly better! More gizmos that are reliable is the
                                        way Model Railroading in is going and I look forward to the
                                        advances in lighting, digital, long radius track & turnouts, etc. for
                                        all our Z scale products. Z scale is small, but electronics are
                                        getting even smaller... Z scale is enormous when it comes
                                        to track space, so why confine our layout dreams to four
                                        square feet?

                                        Best regardZ,
                                        Reynard
                                        http://www.micronart.com
                                        On Apr 2, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Robert Ray wrote:

                                        > Don Avila wrote:
                                        > > My three cents, and I AM a customer is to forget the inernals. For
                                        > > the few folks that want lighting and interiors, with kitchen
                                        > sinks and
                                        > > working lavs, I say get out the #11 Xacto.
                                        >
                                        > The thing is Don, when a new product is being designed is the best
                                        > time
                                        > to get all the design work done. If KATOesque electrical pickup trucks
                                        > are designed as the standard, then all kinds of custom lighting
                                        > projects are possible down the road.
                                        >
                                        > If you want to attract people from other scales to Z, you need to
                                        > apply
                                        > some of the more mundane, basic features, that are included in the
                                        > other scales, like electrical pickup trucks with metal wheels, and a
                                        > preformed row of seats so people can stick figures in them later on if
                                        > desired.
                                        >
                                        > How do you compare a Marklin Z US passenger car with a new Rapido HO
                                        > Passenger car for the same price? The Z one is a lumpy toy train like
                                        > model, and the HO one is a beautiful scale representation of an exact
                                        > prototype.
                                        >
                                        > I vote for a quality scale model with potential upgrades like flicker
                                        > free lighting and interior, and would gladly pay a premium for it, and
                                        > use the old Marklin cars for cheap kitbash fodder.
                                        >
                                        > -Robert

                                      • Robert Ray
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
                                          Reynard Wellman wrote:
                                          > I have some of Oliver Passman's lighted SP Daylight coaches
                                          > and they are cool! He makes a kit for lighting up Marklin
                                          > Z passenger cars that works just fine. So really there's no excuse
                                          > for a manufacturer like MTL or AZL not to provide lighted
                                          > coaches at least as an option these days.

                                          That's exactly how I feel Reynard. Why stay in the dark ages, when the
                                          rest of the model railroading industry is advancing with finer and
                                          more acurate detailing, major electronic enhancements like sound,
                                          flicker free lighting, animation, etc.

                                          Look how model railroad scenery has advanced in the past decade... we
                                          went from bottle brush trees and sawdust grass, to Architectural Grade
                                          scenery as seen in the latest Scenics Express catalog.

                                          Look at the superdetailing out of the box in N and HO scale these
                                          days, and their electronics are unbelievable!

                                          Let's all ask for the best we can, especially when the items are still
                                          in their design phase! Let's get those metal wheels and all wheel
                                          electrical power pickup built in while designing new passenger trucks!

                                          Lest ask for out products to be built to the same standards that N
                                          Scalers have. After all, everything is produced to much tighter
                                          tolerances these days, not just electronics.

                                          -Robert