RE: [Z_Scale] MTL Passenger Car's in the Works and other stuff..

  • John & Sue Bartolotto
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hail to MTL! Now after that Joe follow it up with some 1890 Overlands or
      Overtons!

      Great work!

      John

      _____

      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
        Hey John,
        I'll bet if Joe threw his hat into the presidential ring right about now, he
        d get all the Z scalers's votes..suppose? :O)

        Loren

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
          You peeked!!!!
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John & Sue Bartolotto" <jsbart@...>
          wrote:

          > Hail to MTL! Now after that Joe follow it up with some 1890
          Overlands or
          > Overtons!
          >

          > Great work!
          >

          > John
          >

          > _____

          Behalf Of
          > Joe DAmato
          > Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 5:51 PM
          > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [Z_Scale] MTL Passenger Car's in the Works and other
          stuff..

          > Just got the ok to let everyone know that we are in the process of
          > working up a series of Smooth Side, Pullman Standard (and others
          > later)Passenger cars. I can't talk due dates or car styles (figure
          > the usual suspects!)at this point, those have been decided and we
          are
          > working on them as we speak. I'll be able to say more in a few
          > weeks. These will be 100% injection molded, no resin or photo
          etched
          > sides... with all new trucks, accurate details and flawless paint.
          > am working on a way to get power into the cars for lighting, not
          sure
          > if that will be the initial offering, but it is being addressed.
          I'm
          > really stoked about doing this project!!
          >
          > Also an update on the SD40-2...making lightning progress on it.
          > Chassis and trucks are designed and tooling should start in short
          > order. Steve got the plastic shell components are designed,and we
          > are looking at doing plastic railing that plug in much like the
          Kato
          > N Scale engines do. I am also trying to get an accessory sprue
          > designed that will have some "fussy bits" (as the Brits say)
          included
          > so you can convert and or super detail your engine. Pricing TBD,
          > costs are going up everywhere, but I think we will come in close to
          > the GP-35's...
          >
          > I will also be securing next year's production in a few weeks and
          > will know what we will be doing. All in all, including new track
          > pieces in development (220 Straight and 100-120mm adaptor track
          > section) 07 and 08 are looking good for Z.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Joe
          >
          > PS...this is not a late April Fool's prank!!

        • pinekirk
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

            >we are looking at doing plastic railing that plug in much like the
            Kato
            > N Scale engines do. I am also trying to get an accessory sprue
            > designed that will have some "fussy bits" (as the Brits say) included
            > so you can convert and or super detail your engine.
            > Cheers
            > Joe

            This is probably good news. but i hope everyone at MTL realizes that
            with plastic railings will also come CONSTANT orders for replacement
            parts (better hire another parts order-taker person). Atlas,
            Intermountain, all have constant orders (or worse -- returns) due to
            broken plastic railings on their N scale offerings.

            i personally really like the metal, they are very durable and can be
            modified for kitbashing. If MTL were to go to plastic, I would suppose
            you would need to use a delrin type plastic as the railings would be
            VERY thin and need the kind of durability.

            unfortunately, delrin type plastics are REALLY tough to glue/re-glue
            (if they can be done at all). so doing the railings like this would cut
            off the kitbashers of the world, which would be VERY counterproductive
            to the growth of Z scale. the SD40-2 will be a MOST "bashable" unit!

            i do hope you will consider this carefully. i contend that the etched
            railings are one of the real strengths of the current Z scale loco
            designs.
            my 2 cents.
            dave f.
          • Joe DAmato
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
              Dewey

              No idea at this point, I'm not a member of that part of the food
              chain here at MTL. I suspect they will be a bit more expensive
              because of the size and all... As for lighting and interiors, we
              have to look at what it would cost to install all that, or just offer
              an upgrade kit for those folks who want and need that option.
              Frankly, I don't need lit cars on my layout, and would hate to go
              full monty on this and make it too expensive for the general Z
              hobbyist. I think a kit with a light board and pickups as a secondary
              product might be a good option. This is stuff Management needs to
              address once I put my two cents in.

              Cheers

              Joe

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...> wrote:

              > Joe...
              > Are you allowed to give a price range, and will the cars
              have interiors?

              DEWEY

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                Joe, Joe, Joe, please don't tease me like that dude!! You don't know how
                ecstatic I would be with NYC&HR Overlands!!!!

                John

                _____

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Joe,
                  With inflation being on the steady rise you need to tell management that you
                  want at least a nickel's worth of their time :o)
                  Loren

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                    Well...I have to send out plenty of metal railings each week now, and
                    most of them are unpainted cause I'm out of painted ones. I guess
                    it's trading one problem for another. For MTL, it allows us to paint
                    the sides of the cars much easier since the railings are at times
                    different colors than the sides of the cars...also the cost...pennies
                    vs dollars for the metal parts. I'm trying to steamline production
                    and cut costs and still have a superior product and I have to
                    consider what the average guy is going to do with these. It's not
                    out of the realm of possiblity that I have some sheets of metal
                    raillings done for guys who want to "convert"...I just figured I
                    would do such a good job that you just couldn't bring yourself to cut
                    them up...I mean, you come over my house for my Lasagna and try and
                    make it into Bean Soup...we got issues buddy. :o)

                    Joe
                    MTL

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "pinekirk" <pinekirk@...> wrote:

                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >we are looking at doing plastic railing that plug in much like the
                    > Kato
                    > > N Scale engines do. I am also trying to get an accessory sprue
                    > > designed that will have some "fussy bits" (as the Brits say)
                    included
                    > > so you can convert and or super detail your engine.
                    > > Cheers
                    > > Joe
                    > >

                    > This is probably good news. but i hope everyone at MTL realizes
                    that
                    > with plastic railings will also come CONSTANT orders for
                    replacement
                    > parts (better hire another parts order-taker person). Atlas,
                    > Intermountain, all have constant orders (or worse -- returns) due
                    > broken plastic railings on their N scale offerings.
                    >
                    > i personally really like the metal, they are very durable and can
                    be
                    > modified for kitbashing. If MTL were to go to plastic, I would
                    suppose
                    > you would need to use a delrin type plastic as the railings would
                    be
                    > VERY thin and need the kind of durability.
                    >
                    > unfortunately, delrin type plastics are REALLY tough to glue/re-
                    glue
                    > (if they can be done at all). so doing the railings like this would
                    cut
                    > off the kitbashers of the world, which would be VERY
                    counterproductive
                    > to the growth of Z scale. the SD40-2 will be a MOST "bashable"
                    unit!

                    > i do hope you will consider this carefully. i contend that the
                    etched
                    > railings are one of the real strengths of the current Z scale loco
                    > designs.
                    > my 2 cents.
                    > dave f.

                  • Don Avila
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                      My three cents, and I AM a customer is to forget the inernals. For
                      the few folks that want lighting and interiors, with kitchen sinks and
                      working lavs, I say get out the #11 Xacto. Just how much are you
                      going to see through those 'picture' windows? IT'S Z ZIZED. Lionel
                      Trains had it right with stick-on people on the windows, and they are
                      just a "tad" larger than Z. If Joe pushed for interiors on an
                      economic rate of return of more than zero, we might lose our
                      "BrandX/Z" representative.

                      ...don

                      Z.--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

                      > Dewey
                      >
                      > No idea at this point, I'm not a member of that part of the food
                      > chain here at MTL. I suspect they will be a bit more expensive
                      > because of the size and all... As for lighting and interiors, we
                      > have to look at what it would cost to install all that, or just offer
                      > an upgrade kit for those folks who want and need that option.
                      > Frankly, I don't need lit cars on my layout, and would hate to go
                      > full monty on this and make it too expensive for the general Z
                      > hobbyist. I think a kit with a light board and pickups as a secondary
                      > product might be a good option. This is stuff Management needs to
                      > address once I put my two cents in.
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > Joe
                      >
                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Joe...
                      > > Are you allowed to give a price range, and will the cars
                      > have interiors?
                      > >
                      > DEWEY
                      > >
                      > > Joe DAmato <shipsure2003@> wrote:
                      > > Just got the ok to let everyone know that we are in the process
                      > of
                      > > working up a series of Smooth Side, Pullman Standard (and others
                      > > later)Passenger cars. I can't talk due dates or car styles (figure
                      > > the usual suspects!)at this point, those have been decided and we
                      > are
                      > > working on them as we speak. I'll be able to say more in a few
                      > > weeks. These will be 100% injection molded, no resin or photo
                      > etched
                      > > sides... with all new trucks, accurate details and flawless paint.
                      > > am working on a way to get power into the cars for lighting, not
                      > sure
                      > > if that will be the initial offering, but it is being addressed.
                      > I'm
                      > > really stoked about doing this project!!
                      > >
                      > > Cheers
                      > >
                      > > Joe
                      > >
                      > > PS...this is not a late April Fool's prank!!

                    • Robert Ray
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                        Don Avila wrote:
                        > My three cents, and I AM a customer is to forget the inernals. For
                        > the few folks that want lighting and interiors, with kitchen sinks and
                        > working lavs, I say get out the #11 Xacto.

                        The thing is Don, when a new product is being designed is the best time
                        to get all the design work done. If KATOesque electrical pickup trucks
                        are designed as the standard, then all kinds of custom lighting
                        projects are possible down the road.

                        If you want to attract people from other scales to Z, you need to apply
                        some of the more mundane, basic features, that are included in the
                        other scales, like electrical pickup trucks with metal wheels, and a
                        preformed row of seats so people can stick figures in them later on if
                        desired.

                        How do you compare a Marklin Z US passenger car with a new Rapido HO
                        Passenger car for the same price? The Z one is a lumpy toy train like
                        model, and the HO one is a beautiful scale representation of an exact
                        prototype.

                        I vote for a quality scale model with potential upgrades like flicker
                        free lighting and interior, and would gladly pay a premium for it, and
                        use the old Marklin cars for cheap kitbash fodder.

                        -Robert
                      • pinekirk
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

                          > It's not
                          > out of the realm of possiblity that I have some sheets of metal
                          > raillings done for guys who want to "convert"...I just figured I
                          > would do such a good job that you just couldn't bring yourself to cut
                          > them up...I mean, you come over my house for my Lasagna and try and
                          > make it into Bean Soup...we got issues buddy. :o)
                          >
                          > Joe

                          Heaven Forbid! i would never (sort of) WANT to cut up a beautiful MTL
                          shell! so ... how soon after the SD40-2 release would the tunnel
                          motors be out?

                          only YOU, Joe, can save those shells from the hands of Z scale butchers
                          (and strippers)!
                          dave f.
                        • John Duino
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                            <SNIP...a little creative editing...>
                            > Well...you come over my house for my Lasagna
                            </SNIP>

                            So when's dinner? :)

                            And remember, when teasing John B, he has large, mobile firepower at his
                            disposal! He may hook up with Robert out here in Hemet for a palletized
                            drop of an M1 in your backyard!

                            BTW, all cool announcements! Great products to appeal, and whatever you
                            (MTL) decide I'm sure will be good for the hobby as a whole!

                            John
                          • John Mui
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                              Dave, didn't you tell me that you seal all those wonderful engines in air
                              tight boxes so that special Oregon air doesn't escape. :D Dave, I am with
                              you. I am not going to cut or strip a SD40, just like the GP35.

                              John
                              >> out of the realm of possiblity that I have some sheets of metal
                              >> raillings done for guys who want to "convert"...I just figured I
                              >> would do such a good job that you just couldn't bring yourself to cut
                              >> them up...I mean, you come over my house for my Lasagna and try and
                              >> make it into Bean Soup...we got issues buddy. :o)
                              >>
                              >> Joe
                              >>

                              > Heaven Forbid! i would never (sort of) WANT to cut up a beautiful MTL
                              > shell! so ... how soon after the SD40-2 release would the tunnel
                              > motors be out?
                              >
                              > only YOU, Joe, can save those shells from the hands of Z scale butchers
                              > (and strippers)!
                              > dave f.

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Reynard Wellman
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                                Hi Robert,
                                MTL these days seems to have the right philosophy
                                for pushing the technology ahead for Z scale. Becoming
                                a world leader in innovations like these and still maintaining
                                the details of specific era charm, brings a smile to our
                                faces, I agree. MTL's work has proven to be accurate
                                while performing very well to boot!

                                Best regardZ,
                                Reynard
                                On Apr 2, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Robert Ray wrote:

                                > Don Avila wrote:
                                > > My three cents, and I AM a customer is to forget the inernals. For
                                > > the few folks that want lighting and interiors, with kitchen
                                > sinks and
                                > > working lavs, I say get out the #11 Xacto.
                                >
                                > The thing is Don, when a new product is being designed is the best
                                > time
                                > to get all the design work done. If KATOesque electrical pickup trucks
                                > are designed as the standard, then all kinds of custom lighting
                                > projects are possible down the road.
                                >
                                > If you want to attract people from other scales to Z, you need to
                                > apply
                                > some of the more mundane, basic features, that are included in the
                                > other scales, like electrical pickup trucks with metal wheels, and a
                                > preformed row of seats so people can stick figures in them later on if
                                > desired.
                                >
                                > How do you compare a Marklin Z US passenger car with a new Rapido HO
                                > Passenger car for the same price? The Z one is a lumpy toy train like
                                > model, and the HO one is a beautiful scale representation of an exact
                                > prototype.
                                >
                                > I vote for a quality scale model with potential upgrades like flicker
                                > free lighting and interior, and would gladly pay a premium for it, and
                                > use the old Marklin cars for cheap kitbash fodder.
                                >
                                > -Robert

                              • Zane H. Healy
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                                  > full monty on this and make it too expensive for the general Z
                                  > hobbyist. I think a kit with a light board and pickups as a secondary
                                  > product might be a good option. This is stuff Management needs to
                                  > address once I put my two cents in.

                                  I think the add-on sounds good. While it sounds neat, I can't honestly see
                                  why on earth I would want lighted passenger cards. I'm more interested in
                                  affordable at this point than I am lights.

                                  I assume this isn't something you could flick on and off... Now that would
                                  be cool, and I'd probably have to get that! :^)

                                  Zane
                                • FT. Dewey
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                                    Joe...
                                    Thanks for the reply. An upgrade kit for the interiors would be fine with me. I know that some people would view interiors as an un-needed expense.
                                    DEWEY

                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" wrote:

                                    > Joe...
                                    > Are you allowed to give a price range, and will the cars
                                    have interiors?

                                    DEWEY

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
                                      How about Clap on Clap off... :o)

                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                                      > > full monty on this and make it too expensive for the general Z
                                      > > hobbyist. I think a kit with a light board and pickups as a
                                      secondary
                                      > > product might be a good option. This is stuff Management needs
                                      > > address once I put my two cents in.
                                      >
                                      > I think the add-on sounds good. While it sounds neat, I can't
                                      honestly see
                                      > why on earth I would want lighted passenger cards. I'm more
                                      interested in
                                      > affordable at this point than I am lights.
                                      >
                                      > I assume this isn't something you could flick on and off... Now
                                      that would
                                      > be cool, and I'd probably have to get that! :^)
                                      >
                                      > Zane

                                    • Ellsworth Geib
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
                                        Git-R-Done, Joe! That would be fun at shows when the kids found out.

                                        Ell

                                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

                                        > How about Clap on Clap off... :o)
                                        >
                                        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > full monty on this and make it too expensive for the general Z
                                        > > > hobbyist. I think a kit with a light board and pickups as a
                                        > secondary
                                        > > > product might be a good option. This is stuff Management needs
                                        > > > address once I put my two cents in.
                                        > >
                                        > > I think the add-on sounds good. While it sounds neat, I can't
                                        > honestly see
                                        > > why on earth I would want lighted passenger cards. I'm more
                                        > interested in
                                        > > affordable at this point than I am lights.
                                        > >
                                        > > I assume this isn't something you could flick on and off... Now
                                        > that would
                                        > > be cool, and I'd probably have to get that! :^)
                                        > >
                                        > > Zane

                                      • Reynard Wellman
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
                                          Hello Robert & Joe,

                                          I have some of Oliver Passman's lighted SP Daylight coaches
                                          and they are cool! He makes a kit for lighting up Marklin
                                          Z passenger cars that works just fine. So really there's no excuse
                                          for a manufacturer like MTL or AZL not to provide lighted
                                          coaches at least as an option these days.

                                          I had enough of cheap N scale equipment back in the
                                          70's and 80's. Now days all N scale equipment has become
                                          spectacularly better! More gizmos that are reliable is the
                                          way Model Railroading in is going and I look forward to the
                                          advances in lighting, digital, long radius track & turnouts, etc. for
                                          all our Z scale products. Z scale is small, but electronics are
                                          getting even smaller... Z scale is enormous when it comes
                                          to track space, so why confine our layout dreams to four
                                          square feet?

                                          Best regardZ,
                                          Reynard
                                          http://www.micronart.com
                                          On Apr 2, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Robert Ray wrote:

                                          > Don Avila wrote:
                                          > > My three cents, and I AM a customer is to forget the inernals. For
                                          > > the few folks that want lighting and interiors, with kitchen
                                          > sinks and
                                          > > working lavs, I say get out the #11 Xacto.
                                          >
                                          > The thing is Don, when a new product is being designed is the best
                                          > time
                                          > to get all the design work done. If KATOesque electrical pickup trucks
                                          > are designed as the standard, then all kinds of custom lighting
                                          > projects are possible down the road.
                                          >
                                          > If you want to attract people from other scales to Z, you need to
                                          > apply
                                          > some of the more mundane, basic features, that are included in the
                                          > other scales, like electrical pickup trucks with metal wheels, and a
                                          > preformed row of seats so people can stick figures in them later on if
                                          > desired.
                                          >
                                          > How do you compare a Marklin Z US passenger car with a new Rapido HO
                                          > Passenger car for the same price? The Z one is a lumpy toy train like
                                          > model, and the HO one is a beautiful scale representation of an exact
                                          > prototype.
                                          >
                                          > I vote for a quality scale model with potential upgrades like flicker
                                          > free lighting and interior, and would gladly pay a premium for it, and
                                          > use the old Marklin cars for cheap kitbash fodder.
                                          >
                                          > -Robert

                                        • Robert Ray
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
                                            Reynard Wellman wrote:
                                            > I have some of Oliver Passman's lighted SP Daylight coaches
                                            > and they are cool! He makes a kit for lighting up Marklin
                                            > Z passenger cars that works just fine. So really there's no excuse
                                            > for a manufacturer like MTL or AZL not to provide lighted
                                            > coaches at least as an option these days.

                                            That's exactly how I feel Reynard. Why stay in the dark ages, when the
                                            rest of the model railroading industry is advancing with finer and
                                            more acurate detailing, major electronic enhancements like sound,
                                            flicker free lighting, animation, etc.

                                            Look how model railroad scenery has advanced in the past decade... we
                                            went from bottle brush trees and sawdust grass, to Architectural Grade
                                            scenery as seen in the latest Scenics Express catalog.

                                            Look at the superdetailing out of the box in N and HO scale these
                                            days, and their electronics are unbelievable!

                                            Let's all ask for the best we can, especially when the items are still
                                            in their design phase! Let's get those metal wheels and all wheel
                                            electrical power pickup built in while designing new passenger trucks!

                                            Lest ask for out products to be built to the same standards that N
                                            Scalers have. After all, everything is produced to much tighter
                                            tolerances these days, not just electronics.

                                            -Robert