Re: Power Packs

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 1999
      Hi Chris,

      I use two modified MRC1300 packs, MRC1400 and a 12 volt DC wall adapter as
      power sources for the Val Ease Central. You can pick up a decent used
      transistor power pack at Pacific Scale Rail.

      IMHO, the key to not cooking the motors is to keep them properly lubricated
      and in good running order, so remove dirt, lint and crud that will possibly
      lead to binding and a stall. The stall could melt motor commutators. Keep
      an eye on the headlight...if its glowin' and the loco's not rollin' DON'T
      TURN UP THE POWER! Turn it off and try to find the problem.

      Although having 12v available is slightly more than you would need for one
      loco, I like to double head my F7s which requires a little more power and a
      slightly higher voltage capacity from my throttles.

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey
      Val-Ease-Central.com
    • BJKRONEN@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 1999
        Chris:

        > I want to ask what everyone else is using.

        I make my own 8 volt throttles. They are extremely similar to this one:

        <A HREF="http://www2.ebtech.net/~pais/TTR_Throttle.html">TTR Throttle
        Circuit.</A>

        The fomula for making it an 8 volt supply in on that web page. Its a pretty
        simple circuit and not too hard to build, even as a 1st project. The circuit
        has been around for more than 15 years.

        Only real difference in mine, is that I only put the variable resistor and a
        direction switch in the small box I hold in my hand (little smaller than a
        pack of cigarettes). Everything else is at the end of a 25 foot telephone
        coil cord in a base unit. The switch controls a relay in the base unit for
        changing direction of travel. Nothing heavy or hot in my hand that way, and
        I can walk with the train.

        > Are there other controllers that work better and are/can be adjusted
        > to Z scale power requirements?

        Have you looked at the MicroTrains Z scale supply. Its around
        low-thirty-dollars in the US.

        Don't know of anyone that is selling a Z-specific power pack other than
        Marklin and MT.

        Be careful. Just because the box says Z, N, HO, TT, etc. does not mean that
        it won't fry you locos. At full throttle some of these supplies put out 13
        plus volts under load. Way, way too much. I guess they must have meant for
        you to drill a hole in the front panel of the power supply and put a screw in
        it - to keep the speed knob from turning past 8 volts (or whatever voltage
        you think is maximum).

        Mind you, you may get quite a few opinions on your question.

        Bill Kronenberger
        Houston
      • yoshi98bc
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 16, 2006
          I know MRC models 1300 and 2800 are safe with z scale but do I need to
          reduce the voltage. While testing my various power packs, the marklin
          power pack has an output around 10.5 volts. The MRC 1300 and 2800
          output is around 10.5 volts as well. Will these powerpacks work with
          z without any modifications? I have diodes and was about to build
          voltage reducers but I noticed the similar output voltages of the MRC
          and marklin power packs. Thanks for any help.
        • dpstripe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 16, 2006
            Try measuring the voltage of the MRC packs with a loc running, just to be on
            the safe side.
            Dan S.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 16, 2006
              Ok, I made 4 separate voltage reducers, each with 5 sets of diodes.
              Each reducer should drop the voltage approximately 3.5 volts. When
              the tech 2800 is hooked up, the voltage drops from 10.5 volts to
              around 9 volts with and without a loco on the track. When the the
              MRC 1400 is attached the initial voltage is 15 volts and when I
              place 2 voltage reducers in series, I expected the voltage to drop
              to around 8 volts. However, the voltage drops to only 12.5 volts.
              So I added a 3rd reducer in series and the voltage dropped to 11
              volts. These mrc 2800 recordings are without a loco on the track.
              When I place a loco on the track, it barely moves with 3 reducers in
              series with the 2800. When I place a loco on the track with 2
              reducers in series with the 2800, the loco runs just fine and the
              voltage measures around 8 volts. Do these numbers sound safe for
              protecting my locos? The 2800 gives me a voltage around 9 with a
              loco and the 1400 gives a voltage around 8 with a loco. Thanks

              In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, dpstripe@... wrote:

              > Try measuring the voltage of the MRC packs with a loc running,
              just to be on
              > the safe side.
              > Dan S.
              >
              > In a message dated 8/16/2006 6:50:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              > yoshi98bc@... writes:
              >
              > I know MRC models 1300 and 2800 are safe with z scale but do I
              need to
              > reduce the voltage. While testing my various power packs, the
              marklin
              > power pack has an output around 10.5 volts. The MRC 1300 and
              2800
              > output is around 10.5 volts as well. Will these powerpacks work
              with
              > z without any modifications? I have diodes and was about to
              build
              > voltage reducers but I noticed the similar output voltages of the
              MRC
              > and marklin power packs. Thanks for any help.

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 17, 2006
                > While testing my various power
                > packs, the marklin
                > power pack has an output around 10.5 volts.

                ???Are you speaking of the Marklin Miniclub powerpack?
                I believed it was rated at 8 volts...

                Dominique

                p5.vert.ukl.yahoo.com uncompressed/chunked Thu Aug 17 12:13:36 GMT 2006

                http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
              • Alan Cox
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 17, 2006
                  Ar Iau, 2006-08-17 am 15:28 +0200, ysgrifennodd de Champeaux Dominique:

                  > > While testing my various power
                  > > packs, the marklin
                  > > power pack has an output around 10.5 volts.
                  >
                  > ???Are you speaking of the Marklin Miniclub powerpack?
                  > I believed it was rated at 8 volts...

                  The dumb (older) one is 8v or so, the newer one peaks at 10.5v but has
                  lots of control logic in it and isn't a simple dc voltage supply unit.