HTM Replacement LEDs

  • rgminutillo
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 12:34 PM
      Just got around to installing some HTM replacement LEDs I bought
      through ZTrack for my Marklin American locos, and thought I'd share a
      couple of observations.

      The 7021/31 for Marklin steam (I bought the 7021) fit at an odd angle
      but provide lots of very bright light, including a bit that seems to
      bleed out from below, since you remove the internal sleeve/hood that
      usually masks the Marklin incandescent. There's an effect almost like
      ditch lights. Not an unpleasant effect, however, and a great
      improvement over the Marklin original.

      The 7000/01 series, however, was a surprise, although if I had thought
      about it I would have been less surprised. These are advertised for
      Marklin F7's, and also for BR 110, 111, 120, 139, V200 Re 4/4 and Ae
      6/6. Although not mentioned on the ZTrack site, they come as a
      directional pair! That's great if you have one of the Euro engines
      that have front and rear lights, but on an F7, you get to pick one
      light, and it's lit only while going in one direction.

      I have a couple of F7 pairs which I run in A-A configurations back to
      back. I installed the LEDs in one pair, and got the nice effect of
      bright LED lighting on both ends of the pair, but again (alas) only in
      one direction.

      Just an FYI, if you're considering these LEDs for your Marklin
      American locos.

      RGMinutillo
    • Jim Thomas
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2 5:59 AM
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rgminutillo" <rgminutillo@...> wrote:

        > I also like to run my engines back to back. I resolved the problem
        by reversing the light socket from the original front end to the
        backend. Now I have lighting in which ever way I run. It was difficult
        for me until I removed the circuit board then everything became easy to
        change. Two lights for the price of one. Jim>
      • rgminutillo
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2 4:00 PM
          I'm not exactly sure what you meant about 'reversing the light
          socket,' but removing the circuit board isn't something I'd choose to
          do. I'll take your word for it that it works, but it would also
          require reversing the pilot and coupler on the 'lead' loco.

          All in all I'd rather see a non-directional LED.

          RGM

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Thomas" <jim29t@...> wrote:

          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rgminutillo" <rgminutillo@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I also like to run my engines back to back. I resolved the problem
          > by reversing the light socket from the original front end to the
          > backend. Now I have lighting in which ever way I run. It was difficult
          > for me until I removed the circuit board then everything became easy to
          > change. Two lights for the price of one. Jim>

        • FT. Dewey
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3 12:58 PM
            To my knowledge, a "non-directional"led does not exist. The nature of a diode is to allow one way current. Use a light bulb instead.
            DEWEY

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Thomas" wrote:

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rgminutillo" wrote:
            > >
            > > I also like to run my engines back to back. I resolved the problem
            > by reversing the light socket from the original front end to the
            > backend. Now I have lighting in which ever way I run. It was difficult
            > for me until I removed the circuit board then everything became easy to
            > change. Two lights for the price of one. Jim>

            Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.

          • Mike D.
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3 1:21 PM
              Quote from Dewey:

              To my knowledge, a "non-directional"led does not exist. (Yes they do, it's
              called a dual diode, maerklin uses them too) The nature of a diode is to
              allow one way current. (.5 credit) Use a light bulb instead. (turn yours
              on!!!)

              Mikey D.

              >From: "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...>
              >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Re: HTM Replacement LEDs two for the price of one
              >Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:58:44 -0700 (PDT)
              >
              >To my knowledge, a "non-directional"led does not exist. The nature of a
              >diode is to allow one way current. Use a light bulb instead.
              >
              > DEWEY
              >
              >rgminutillo <rgminutillo@...> wrote:
              > I'm not exactly sure what you meant about 'reversing the light
              >socket,' but removing the circuit board isn't something I'd choose to
              >do. I'll take your word for it that it works, but it would also
              >require reversing the pilot and coupler on the 'lead' loco.
              >
              >All in all I'd rather see a non-directional LED.
              >
              >RGM
              >
              >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Thomas" wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rgminutillo" wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I also like to run my engines back to back. I resolved the problem
              > > by reversing the light socket from the original front end to the
              > > backend. Now I have lighting in which ever way I run. It was difficult
              > > for me until I removed the circuit board then everything became easy to
              > > change. Two lights for the price of one. Jim>
              > >

              >Z-scale: minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!
              >
              >Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              >Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.

              Interest Rates Fall Again! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new
              payment
              http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18679&moid=7581
            • Jeff Merill
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3 1:22 PM
                The reversing solution does not require changing the pilot or else,
                simply pop the shell back off and pull out the HTM light board and
                plug in the other. Exchange them.

                Each board contains an LED diode in which the current only flows in
                one direction. To reverse the lights, one has to reverse the diode's
                leads connected to each half of the circuit board which essentially
                connects to each rail. If you could physically flip the board over
                (LED now on the bottom) it would glow in the opposite running
                direction.

                The only solution to make a sigle LED run in both directions is to
                use a bridge rectifier (4 diode) arrangement. Used to convert "bi
                bolar" AC to "uni-polar" DC or also bi-polarity DC into same
                polarity DC. One could also include an extra diode or two in each
                leg to gain directional lighting effects: bright in forward, dim in
                reverse.

                Ciao,

                Jeff
                SF Bay Area Z

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4 6:11 AM
                  It's easy to see how these on-line discussions get out of hand. The
                  point of my original message is that the HTM LEDs for Marklin steam
                  are, in fact, non-directional. HTM simply choose to go directional
                  with the replacement LEDs they sell for a group of other engines that
                  mostly have front and rear headlights. But unfortunately, the F7 doesn't.

                  RGM