Ztrack Craftsman Kits Announces Center Beams

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 25, 2007
      Ztrack Craftsman Kits announces the release of 61' Center Beams kits. The
      kits are available in three options, opera window, double truss and quad truss
      versions. The first roadnames are BNSF, CENTEX, TTX and UP. The kits are made
      from laser cut wood and contain all the parts necessary for producing the kits
      including a brass handwheel, decals and instructions. The kits are produced by
      Robert Ray.

      The kits are available as single cars or in a mixed three pack. Ztrack is now
      taking orders directly or you can go through your Z scale dealer. The direct
      link is: http://www.ztrack.com/craftsman

      Ztrack Craftsman Kits is the latest line by Ztrack Magazine Ltd.

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
      http://www.ztrack.com/
      Distributor American Z Line

    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 25, 2007
        Zane,

        Yes, the kits are laser cut wood.

        I am likely one of the first who will tell you to "buy with confidence".
        Robert Ray's workmanship is first rate. The only way you can go wrong is if
        you are a klutz and can't assemble kits. They are easy to assemble, and
        fun to build. Building a new kit is a learning curve. Each succeeding kit
        in like type is easier and faster. You will need painting skills also.

        They are no more fragile than any Z scale rolling stock. Of course it all
        depends how they land when and if you drop one. I saw a center beam car
        dropped onto cement from 4 feet and it landed on the coupler and that is all
        that broke. I won't tell you what happened to the bloke that dropped it....

        They are indeed "very nice".

        How good are your eyes and hands?

        Loren

        >Ztrack Craftsman Kits announces the release of 61' Center Beams kits. The
        >kits are available in three options, opera window, double truss and quad
        truss
        >versions. The first roadnames are BNSF, CENTEX, TTX and UP. The kits are
        made
        >from laser cut wood and contain all the parts necessary for producing the
        kits
        >including a brass handwheel, decals and instructions. The kits are produced
        by
        >Robert Ray.

        I'm curious, am I reading this correctly that the kits are made out
        of wood? If so how does the wood grain effect their looks? How
        fragile are the made up kits? I know that in the pictures on your
        web site they look *very* nice.

        Zane

      • Zane H. Healy
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 25, 2007
          >Ztrack Craftsman Kits announces the release of 61' Center Beams kits. The
          >kits are available in three options, opera window, double truss and quad truss
          >versions. The first roadnames are BNSF, CENTEX, TTX and UP. The kits are made
          >from laser cut wood and contain all the parts necessary for producing the kits
          >including a brass handwheel, decals and instructions. The kits are produced by
          >Robert Ray.

          I'm curious, am I reading this correctly that the kits are made out
          of wood? If so how does the wood grain effect their looks? How
          fragile are the made up kits? I know that in the pictures on your
          web site they look *very* nice.

          Zane

          | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
        • Zane H. Healy
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 25, 2007
            At 2:46 PM -0700 3/25/07, Loren Snyder wrote:
            >Zane,
            >
            >Yes, the kits are laser cut wood.
            >
            >I am likely one of the first who will tell you to "buy with confidence".
            >Robert Ray's workmanship is first rate. The only way you can go wrong is if
            >you are a klutz and can't assemble kits. They are easy to assemble, and
            >fun to build. Building a new kit is a learning curve. Each succeeding kit
            >in like type is easier and faster. You will need painting skills also.
            >
            >They are no more fragile than any Z scale rolling stock. Of course it all
            >depends how they land when and if you drop one. I saw a center beam car
            >dropped onto cement from 4 feet and it landed on the coupler and that is all
            >that broke. I won't tell you what happened to the bloke that dropped it....
            >
            >They are indeed "very nice".
            >
            >How good are your eyes and hands?

            I must confess that I'm a little concerned about how steady my hands
            are, and how well my eyes will hold up. I like doing Wargamming and
            typically use 28mm figures, but have gone as small as 6mm. Most of
            the time my hands are steady enough, but I've discovered that the
            close up work (which I have no serious problem seeing) aggravates a
            problem I have with one of my eyes, so I have to be careful to limit
            the amount of close up work I do. While I'm very slow, I like to
            think my painting skills are fairly good. Thanks to Wargamming I
            have a very good selection of high quality acrylic paints and
            brushes. I also have a decent selection of tools.

            Somehow I get the feeling that some of the people doing such
            fantastic Z scale work would be quite good at things like soldering
            surface mount chips on circuit boards (something I know my hands
            aren't steady enough to do).

            I picked up one of the RSlaserKits at the Portland WGH show, but
            haven't tried building it yet. I also want to try my hands at
            building some things from scratch.

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 25, 2007
              Zane,
              A lot of guys at least my age have to use magnifying loops, or some such
              devices in order to do Z scale. The hands are one thing, but the sight is
              the most critical at times. Go ahead and build that kit and jump in with
              both feet. Water is warm and there's a lot of us floating around in the
              pond.
              Loren

              snip...

              I must confess that I'm a little concerned about how steady my hands
              are, and how well my eyes will hold up. I picked up one of the RSlaserKits

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 25, 2007
                Loren is absolutely right. Robert Ray has design one heck of a kit. The micro
                plywood he uses is very fine grain. In the directions, he has recommendations
                for sealing these kits. This decreases the grain. With one, possibly two
                coats of paint, you can hardly notice the grain. Very close up, you can see it,
                but not many of us will be running our trains with a nose on the track. LOL!

                If you have questions, I did post a PDF of the instructions. This should give
                you some idea of what is involved. I think these will appeal to those with a
                wide range of skills. The amount of detail and finish is really up to you.
                Like Loren said, they are easy and fun to assemble.

                Rob

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 25, 2007
                  Zane,
                  I have built a few of Robert Ray's kits (not the centerbeam flats) and I
                  have on RTR covered hopper that I got from him in a trade. I had to show a
                  friend of mine the kits before he would believe that the RTR hopper was made of
                  wood. I have a caffeine and nicotine addiction, so, at any given time, my hands
                  are shaking pretty severely. I had no problem building the kits. Now, I'm a
                  terrible painter, so mine aren't all that pretty, but that shouldn't be a
                  problem for someone that can paint 6mm figures. If you go to eBays Z scale
                  listings, and do a search for "custom" you will see a couple of cars built from
                  Robert Rays kits. I have never bought anything from this seller and I am not
                  endorsing him, but his work is fairly typical of what you can expect from these
                  kits. The kits are very well done and the instructions are excellent.
                  Dan S.

                • Don Avila
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 25, 2007
                    Having built a number of these kits from Robert Ray, you will find
                    they look _VERY_ nice when finished. Robert is very careful in the
                    materials he selects. ...don

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                    > >Ztrack Craftsman Kits announces the release of 61' Center Beams
                    kits. The
                    > >kits are available in three options, opera window, double truss and
                    quad truss
                    > >versions. The first roadnames are BNSF, CENTEX, TTX and UP. The
                    kits are made
                    > >from laser cut wood and contain all the parts necessary for
                    producing the kits
                    > >including a brass handwheel, decals and instructions. The kits are
                    produced by
                    > >Robert Ray.
                    >
                    > I'm curious, am I reading this correctly that the kits are made out
                    > of wood? If so how does the wood grain effect their looks? How
                    > fragile are the made up kits? I know that in the pictures on your
                    > web site they look *very* nice.
                    >
                    > Zane
                    >

                    > --
                    > | Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Administrator |
                    > | healyzh@... (primary) | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
                    > | MONK::HEALYZH (DECnet) | Classic Computer Collector |
                    > +----------------------------------+----------------------------+
                    > | Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
                    > | PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum. |
                    > | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |

                  • thomas cipelle

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 26, 2007
                        I have 18 of these cars and they are beautiful, empty and with loads of various materials, they pose just like the cars at Simpson Lumber Co in Shelton Wa sure look lke steel to me afterr I spray and weather them RAY does a beautiful Job Bob Grant

                      • Jens Wimmel
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 1, 2007
                          Hello Z-friends

                          Yesterday a masterpiece of craftmanship arrived in switzerland.
                          The little german E-loco E 69 from Z-Modellbau Andreas Scheibe
                          http://www.z-modellbau.de/ runs and looks really fantastic!

                          Big picture:
                          http://www.zettzeit.ch/Aktuell-Dateien/E69.jpg

                          Prototype information:
                          http://www.worldrailfans.info/Articles/Europe/GE69.shtml

                          Regards,

                          Jens

                          www.zettzeit.ch
                        • Ralph.Scott
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 4, 2007
                            Just what I was looking for! how well does it run? only 2 axles
                            Ralph

                          • Jens Wimmel
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 4, 2007
                              Ralph,
                              the loco runs great, much better as expected!
                              Power Pickup like a Maerklin 3-axle but not half of the Vmax.
                              The gearbox has a reduction of 88:1, slowest running ist no problem.

                              Jens

                            • MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 4, 2007
                                And now for the $69 dollar question: how do I get one?

                                John C. La Rue, Jr.
                                Bonita Springs, FL

                              • Uwe Liermann
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 5, 2007
                                  Hello John,

                                  > And now for the $69 dollar question: how do I get one?

                                  the link to the website of the manufacturer:

                                  http://www.z-modellbau.de/

                                  --
                                  GreetingZ
                                  Uwe
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 5, 2007
                                    John,
                                    here's the email address:
                                    service@...

                                    Andreas and his daughter, she recieves all emails, are speaking english.

                                    Jens