Power Packs

  • chriscam@xxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 1999
      Hi everyone,

      I have a growing layout is almost in need of a second power pack. My original pack is a newer Marklin style unit from my starter set. Before I went and ordered a second Marklin unit I want to ask what everyone else is using. Are there other controllers that work better and are/can be adjusted to Z scale power requirements? I am nervous about heading down to the local shop and being sold something that slowly (or quickly for that matter) cooks my engines.

      Do the other packs actually work better than the Marklin ones - I am not really happy with the noticable speed 'jumps' of the Marklin unit.

      Thanks in advance,

      Chris,
      Vancouver, British Columbia
    • Jeffrey MacHan
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 1999
        Hi Chris,

        I use two modified MRC1300 packs, MRC1400 and a 12 volt DC wall adapter as
        power sources for the Val Ease Central. You can pick up a decent used
        transistor power pack at Pacific Scale Rail.

        IMHO, the key to not cooking the motors is to keep them properly lubricated
        and in good running order, so remove dirt, lint and crud that will possibly
        lead to binding and a stall. The stall could melt motor commutators. Keep
        an eye on the headlight...if its glowin' and the loco's not rollin' DON'T
        TURN UP THE POWER! Turn it off and try to find the problem.

        Although having 12v available is slightly more than you would need for one
        loco, I like to double head my F7s which requires a little more power and a
        slightly higher voltage capacity from my throttles.

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey
        Val-Ease-Central.com
      • BJKRONEN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 1999
          Chris:

          > I want to ask what everyone else is using.

          I make my own 8 volt throttles. They are extremely similar to this one:

          <A HREF="http://www2.ebtech.net/~pais/TTR_Throttle.html">TTR Throttle
          Circuit.</A>

          The fomula for making it an 8 volt supply in on that web page. Its a pretty
          simple circuit and not too hard to build, even as a 1st project. The circuit
          has been around for more than 15 years.

          Only real difference in mine, is that I only put the variable resistor and a
          direction switch in the small box I hold in my hand (little smaller than a
          pack of cigarettes). Everything else is at the end of a 25 foot telephone
          coil cord in a base unit. The switch controls a relay in the base unit for
          changing direction of travel. Nothing heavy or hot in my hand that way, and
          I can walk with the train.

          > Are there other controllers that work better and are/can be adjusted
          > to Z scale power requirements?

          Have you looked at the MicroTrains Z scale supply. Its around
          low-thirty-dollars in the US.

          Don't know of anyone that is selling a Z-specific power pack other than
          Marklin and MT.

          Be careful. Just because the box says Z, N, HO, TT, etc. does not mean that
          it won't fry you locos. At full throttle some of these supplies put out 13
          plus volts under load. Way, way too much. I guess they must have meant for
          you to drill a hole in the front panel of the power supply and put a screw in
          it - to keep the speed knob from turning past 8 volts (or whatever voltage
          you think is maximum).

          Mind you, you may get quite a few opinions on your question.

          Bill Kronenberger
          Houston
        • yoshi98bc
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 16, 2006
            I know MRC models 1300 and 2800 are safe with z scale but do I need to
            reduce the voltage. While testing my various power packs, the marklin
            power pack has an output around 10.5 volts. The MRC 1300 and 2800
            output is around 10.5 volts as well. Will these powerpacks work with
            z without any modifications? I have diodes and was about to build
            voltage reducers but I noticed the similar output voltages of the MRC
            and marklin power packs. Thanks for any help.
          • dpstripe@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 16, 2006
              Try measuring the voltage of the MRC packs with a loc running, just to be on
              the safe side.
              Dan S.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 16, 2006
                Ok, I made 4 separate voltage reducers, each with 5 sets of diodes.
                Each reducer should drop the voltage approximately 3.5 volts. When
                the tech 2800 is hooked up, the voltage drops from 10.5 volts to
                around 9 volts with and without a loco on the track. When the the
                MRC 1400 is attached the initial voltage is 15 volts and when I
                place 2 voltage reducers in series, I expected the voltage to drop
                to around 8 volts. However, the voltage drops to only 12.5 volts.
                So I added a 3rd reducer in series and the voltage dropped to 11
                volts. These mrc 2800 recordings are without a loco on the track.
                When I place a loco on the track, it barely moves with 3 reducers in
                series with the 2800. When I place a loco on the track with 2
                reducers in series with the 2800, the loco runs just fine and the
                voltage measures around 8 volts. Do these numbers sound safe for
                protecting my locos? The 2800 gives me a voltage around 9 with a
                loco and the 1400 gives a voltage around 8 with a loco. Thanks

                In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, dpstripe@... wrote:

                > Try measuring the voltage of the MRC packs with a loc running,
                just to be on
                > the safe side.
                > Dan S.
                >
                > In a message dated 8/16/2006 6:50:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                > yoshi98bc@... writes:
                >
                > I know MRC models 1300 and 2800 are safe with z scale but do I
                need to
                > reduce the voltage. While testing my various power packs, the
                marklin
                > power pack has an output around 10.5 volts. The MRC 1300 and
                2800
                > output is around 10.5 volts as well. Will these powerpacks work
                with
                > z without any modifications? I have diodes and was about to
                build
                > voltage reducers but I noticed the similar output voltages of the
                MRC
                > and marklin power packs. Thanks for any help.

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 17, 2006
                  > While testing my various power
                  > packs, the marklin
                  > power pack has an output around 10.5 volts.

                  ???Are you speaking of the Marklin Miniclub powerpack?
                  I believed it was rated at 8 volts...

                  Dominique

                  p5.vert.ukl.yahoo.com uncompressed/chunked Thu Aug 17 12:13:36 GMT 2006

                  http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
                • Alan Cox
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 17, 2006
                    Ar Iau, 2006-08-17 am 15:28 +0200, ysgrifennodd de Champeaux Dominique:

                    > > While testing my various power
                    > > packs, the marklin
                    > > power pack has an output around 10.5 volts.
                    >
                    > ???Are you speaking of the Marklin Miniclub powerpack?
                    > I believed it was rated at 8 volts...

                    The dumb (older) one is 8v or so, the newer one peaks at 10.5v but has
                    lots of control logic in it and isn't a simple dc voltage supply unit.