Re: [Z_Scale] Any advice on cleaning dusty dirty trains?

  • Randall Smidt
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2007
      Welcome Adam and Danielle,

      For starters on the dusty cars try some simple water and see how that works. Marklin cars are pretty much all painted and didn't/don't use decals so you shouldn't have any problems. Next step would probably be a little dish soap and water in an ultrasonic cleaner (like for cleaning jewelry).

      Beware of "hardened oil syndrome". Old Marklin oil would harden after prolonged periods of disuse. Check the archives here for step by step solutions.

      If you are completely new to Z scale, check out ZTrack Magazine, a must for Z scalers. www.ZTrack.com .

      There are a few other Z scalers in the Atlanta area, notably Tim Beuhring and Jeffrey White. Both model North American trains but are great guys willing to help out other z scalers.

      Take Care,
      Randy Smidt
      Springfield, VA

      Adam Paul <Adampaudio@...> wrote:

      Hello all! This is my first post here! First and foremost, I want to say
      thank you for a wonderful group and greetings!!! Myself and my lady are
      Marklin Z collectors and we just love it! We're in our thirties and are
      from the Atlanta (GA) area. We've made a lot of great friends along the
      way and I'm glad to be posting!

      A while ago, we ran into an estate deal of about 90 trains. About 14
      engines and the rest cars... 80% of the lot was really poorly kept. Most
      of them are dusty and have signs of being in a smoking environment. I'm
      thinking we have a long road in front of us! What would you guys and
      gals suggest for cleaning them? There aren't any "super rare" trains in
      the bunch and there are a couple of trains that we could totally
      experiment on...

      We would love to hear your thoughts!

      Thanks in advance,

      Mit freundlichen Grüßen,