Re: Reducing G Scale to Z Scale

  • Allan Borg
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 2007
      Interesingly enough I seem to have seen somewhere that the individual
      scales in the "G" range have sometimes been divided into other
      reference designations being G H I and J or was it F G H and I, while
      1/32 is Marklin's "1" gauge.
      Allan Borg

      > John B.
      >
      > G scale varies in size from 1:22.5 to 1:29 depending on the brand
      however the track is identical (rail centers). Depending on what you
      plan to reduce be sure you know what the ratio of the G scale is before
      you do any reducing.

      > Carl
      > In Nebraska in a blowing snow advisory or blizzard warning depending
      on how far west and south you are of the Missouri River

    • Allan Miller
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 4, 2007
        I believe that's true, although very few are using those designations.
        For one thing, it leads to extra effort and confusion on the part of
        the hobbyist because it requires the individual to actually know what
        scale the letters designate. "G" was relatively easy back when any
        Large Scale trains were pretty much grouped under that designation (as
        is Z and most other scales), but with the emergence of 1:20.3, 1:22.5,
        1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 (among some others) as viable scales in their own
        rite, going with letters just adds to the complexity.

        For example, Z alone probably means nothing to most novices; you
        pretty much have to expand on the designation every time you introduce
        someone to the hobby by explaining that the models are 1:220 the size
        of the prototype. Ditto for N, HO, S, O (and OO), etc. And then
        there's the added explanations that are needed for Nn3, HOn3, On30,
        and the like.