Re: Reducing G Scale to Z Scale

  • Lois & Carl Feyerherm
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
      John B.

      G scale varies in size from 1:22.5 to 1:29 depending on the brand however the track is identical (rail centers). Depending on what you plan to reduce be sure you know what the ratio of the G scale is before you do any reducing.

      Carl
      In Nebraska in a blowing snow advisory or blizzard warning depending on how far west and south you are of the Missouri River

    • Allan Borg
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3, 2007
        Interesingly enough I seem to have seen somewhere that the individual
        scales in the "G" range have sometimes been divided into other
        reference designations being G H I and J or was it F G H and I, while
        1/32 is Marklin's "1" gauge.
        Allan Borg

        > John B.
        >
        > G scale varies in size from 1:22.5 to 1:29 depending on the brand
        however the track is identical (rail centers). Depending on what you
        plan to reduce be sure you know what the ratio of the G scale is before
        you do any reducing.

        > Carl
        > In Nebraska in a blowing snow advisory or blizzard warning depending
        on how far west and south you are of the Missouri River

      • Allan Miller
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 4, 2007
          I believe that's true, although very few are using those designations.
          For one thing, it leads to extra effort and confusion on the part of
          the hobbyist because it requires the individual to actually know what
          scale the letters designate. "G" was relatively easy back when any
          Large Scale trains were pretty much grouped under that designation (as
          is Z and most other scales), but with the emergence of 1:20.3, 1:22.5,
          1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 (among some others) as viable scales in their own
          rite, going with letters just adds to the complexity.

          For example, Z alone probably means nothing to most novices; you
          pretty much have to expand on the designation every time you introduce
          someone to the hobby by explaining that the models are 1:220 the size
          of the prototype. Ditto for N, HO, S, O (and OO), etc. And then
          there's the added explanations that are needed for Nn3, HOn3, On30,
          and the like.