RE: RE : RE: [Z_Scale] Reducing G Scale to Z Scale

  • Don Avila
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2 5:23 AM
      The real problem is how do you know that the “G” dimensions you are
      using are really properly scaled. After reading this whole thread it
      almost seems that “G” is in the eye of the beholder.

      Don

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2 10:33 PM
        John B.

        G scale varies in size from 1:22.5 to 1:29 depending on the brand however the track is identical (rail centers). Depending on what you plan to reduce be sure you know what the ratio of the G scale is before you do any reducing.

        Carl
        In Nebraska in a blowing snow advisory or blizzard warning depending on how far west and south you are of the Missouri River

      • Allan Borg
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3 4:13 PM
          Interesingly enough I seem to have seen somewhere that the individual
          scales in the "G" range have sometimes been divided into other
          reference designations being G H I and J or was it F G H and I, while
          1/32 is Marklin's "1" gauge.
          Allan Borg

          > John B.
          >
          > G scale varies in size from 1:22.5 to 1:29 depending on the brand
          however the track is identical (rail centers). Depending on what you
          plan to reduce be sure you know what the ratio of the G scale is before
          you do any reducing.

          > Carl
          > In Nebraska in a blowing snow advisory or blizzard warning depending
          on how far west and south you are of the Missouri River

        • Allan Miller
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 4 3:00 AM
            I believe that's true, although very few are using those designations.
            For one thing, it leads to extra effort and confusion on the part of
            the hobbyist because it requires the individual to actually know what
            scale the letters designate. "G" was relatively easy back when any
            Large Scale trains were pretty much grouped under that designation (as
            is Z and most other scales), but with the emergence of 1:20.3, 1:22.5,
            1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 (among some others) as viable scales in their own
            rite, going with letters just adds to the complexity.

            For example, Z alone probably means nothing to most novices; you
            pretty much have to expand on the designation every time you introduce
            someone to the hobby by explaining that the models are 1:220 the size
            of the prototype. Ditto for N, HO, S, O (and OO), etc. And then
            there's the added explanations that are needed for Nn3, HOn3, On30,
            and the like.