Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Reducing G Scale to Z Scale

  • Thomas Creighton Sr
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
      I Tend to disagree as most ascessories available including bldg,vehicles, people most G scalers even those using aristo,usa,bachman and of course LGB,gauge 1 Marklin is 1/25th as 1/32 looks too small and most things available on the market are 1/25th in size

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
        Hello Allan,
        I concur. I have a few 1:20.3 kits that I have not
        had the time to put together yet.They are beautiful.
        One day, when I inherit a couple of spare acres, I may
        get more involved in this incredibly pleasant
        scale. The other large scales do not have as many
        cottage industry craftsmen designing rolling stock as you
        find in 1:20.3 scale.

        Reynard
        http://www.micronart.com
        On Mar 1, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Allan Miller wrote:

        > Just a minor correction to what has been posted: There is no 1:20.5
        > scale. It's 1:20.3, which is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
        > three-foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. Along with 1:29 (the scale
        > "created" by Aristo-Craft), 1:20.3 is probably the most popular of the
        > various Large Scales among U.S. modelers. Not necessarily true in
        > other parts of the planet.
        >
        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "grblaser" <grblaser@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, saundebn@ wrote:
        > > >
        > > > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ...
        > there are many: 1:20.5,
        > > 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about.
        > Also, is this for scaling
        > > a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always
        > advisable.
        > > >
        > > > Brad
        > >

        > > To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email
        > above take the larger
        > > scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to
        > in this case 220
        > >
        > > 20.5/220=.0931818
        > > 22.5/220=.1022727
        > > 29/220=.131818
        > > 32/220=.1454545
        > > 87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
        > > 160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale
        > >

        > > etc, etc, etc.
        > >
        > > Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.
        > >
        > > Gwyl B.

      • Allan Miller
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
          I'm not exactly sure what you're disagreeing with.

          Granted that most Large Scale buildings and accessories (but certainly
          not all) are built in 1:24 scale (not 1:25) for Large Scale so they
          can enjoy use in most all of the assorted scales, the trains
          themselves fall into specific scales--all designed for operation on a
          45mm track gauge.

          1:32 (MTH, Marklin, etc.) is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
          standard gauge prototypes on that track gauge; 1:20.3 (Bachmann,
          Accucraft, etc.) is the correct scale for modeling U.S. three-foot
          narrow gauge on that track gauge; and 1:22.5 (LGB) is the correct
          scale for modeling European meter gauge on that same track gauge. The
          other most popular scales in Large Scale include 1:24 (Hartland, etc.)
          and 1:29 (Aristo, USA Trains, etc.).

          Not sure what all of this has to do with Z, but we might as well have
          the correct scale definitions/applications used.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Creighton Sr <bigtrain6@...> wrote:

          > I Tend to disagree as most ascessories available including
          bldg,vehicles, people most G scalers even those using
          aristo,usa,bachman and of course LGB,gauge 1 Marklin is 1/25th as 1/32
          looks too small and most things available on the market are 1/25th in size

        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
            Don't forget G deals with 1:22.5 when narrow gauge,
            still running on 45mm broad track.

            When dealing with standard gauge, on 45mm broad track,
            G is 1/29.5.

            So in this last case the ratio is something like 1/9.5

            Dom

            --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@...> a écrit :

            > I wouldn't put my whole retirement on this, but
            > stuff I have picked up
            > along the way is G = 1:22.5

            http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
          • Don Avila
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
              The real problem is how do you know that the “G” dimensions you are
              using are really properly scaled. After reading this whole thread it
              almost seems that “G” is in the eye of the beholder.

              Don

              --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@att. <mailto:d.f.avila%40att.net> net> a écrit
              :

              > I wouldn't put my whole retirement on this, but
              > stuff I have picked up
              > along the way is G = 1:22.5

              Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes vos
              questions !
              Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des expériences des
              internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses
              http://fr.answers <http://fr.answers.yahoo.com> yahoo.com

            • Lois & Carl Feyerherm
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
                John B.

                G scale varies in size from 1:22.5 to 1:29 depending on the brand however the track is identical (rail centers). Depending on what you plan to reduce be sure you know what the ratio of the G scale is before you do any reducing.

                Carl
                In Nebraska in a blowing snow advisory or blizzard warning depending on how far west and south you are of the Missouri River

              • Allan Borg
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 3, 2007
                  Interesingly enough I seem to have seen somewhere that the individual
                  scales in the "G" range have sometimes been divided into other
                  reference designations being G H I and J or was it F G H and I, while
                  1/32 is Marklin's "1" gauge.
                  Allan Borg

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 4, 2007
                    I believe that's true, although very few are using those designations.
                    For one thing, it leads to extra effort and confusion on the part of
                    the hobbyist because it requires the individual to actually know what
                    scale the letters designate. "G" was relatively easy back when any
                    Large Scale trains were pretty much grouped under that designation (as
                    is Z and most other scales), but with the emergence of 1:20.3, 1:22.5,
                    1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 (among some others) as viable scales in their own
                    rite, going with letters just adds to the complexity.

                    For example, Z alone probably means nothing to most novices; you
                    pretty much have to expand on the designation every time you introduce
                    someone to the hobby by explaining that the models are 1:220 the size
                    of the prototype. Ditto for N, HO, S, O (and OO), etc. And then
                    there's the added explanations that are needed for Nn3, HOn3, On30,
                    and the like.