Re: Reducing G Scale to Z Scale

  • Allan Miller
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1 2:46 PM
      Just a minor correction to what has been posted: There is no 1:20.5
      scale. It's 1:20.3, which is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
      three-foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. Along with 1:29 (the scale
      "created" by Aristo-Craft), 1:20.3 is probably the most popular of the
      various Large Scales among U.S. modelers. Not necessarily true in
      other parts of the planet.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "grblaser" <grblaser@...> wrote:

      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, saundebn@ wrote:
      > >
      > > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ...
      there are many: 1:20.5,
      > 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about.
      Also, is this for scaling
      > a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.
      > >
      > > Brad
      >

      > To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email
      above take the larger
      > scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to
      in this case 220

      > 20.5/220=.0931818
      > 22.5/220=.1022727
      > 29/220=.131818
      > 32/220=.1454545
      > 87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
      > 160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale
      >

      > etc, etc, etc.
      >
      > Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.
      >
      > Gwyl B.

    • Thomas Creighton Sr
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1 3:40 PM
        I Tend to disagree as most ascessories available including bldg,vehicles, people most G scalers even those using aristo,usa,bachman and of course LGB,gauge 1 Marklin is 1/25th as 1/32 looks too small and most things available on the market are 1/25th in size

        Just a minor correction to what has been posted: There is no 1:20.5
        scale. It's 1:20.3, which is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
        three-foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. Along with 1:29 (the scale
        "created" by Aristo-Craft) , 1:20.3 is probably the most popular of the
        various Large Scales among U.S. modelers. Not necessarily true in
        other parts of the planet.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, "grblaser" <grblaser@.. .> wrote:

        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, saundebn@ wrote:
        > >
        > > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ...
        there are many: 1:20.5,
        > 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about.
        Also, is this for scaling
        > a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.
        > >
        > > Brad
        >

        > To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email
        above take the larger
        > scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to
        in this case 220

        > 20.5/220=.0931818
        > 22.5/220=.1022727
        > 29/220=.131818
        > 32/220=.1454545
        > 87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
        > 160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale
        >

        > etc, etc, etc.
        >
        > Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.
        >
        > Gwyl B.

      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1 8:25 PM
          Hello Allan,
          I concur. I have a few 1:20.3 kits that I have not
          had the time to put together yet.They are beautiful.
          One day, when I inherit a couple of spare acres, I may
          get more involved in this incredibly pleasant
          scale. The other large scales do not have as many
          cottage industry craftsmen designing rolling stock as you
          find in 1:20.3 scale.

          Reynard
          http://www.micronart.com
          On Mar 1, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Allan Miller wrote:

          > Just a minor correction to what has been posted: There is no 1:20.5
          > scale. It's 1:20.3, which is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
          > three-foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. Along with 1:29 (the scale
          > "created" by Aristo-Craft), 1:20.3 is probably the most popular of the
          > various Large Scales among U.S. modelers. Not necessarily true in
          > other parts of the planet.
          >
          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "grblaser" <grblaser@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, saundebn@ wrote:
          > > >
          > > > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ...
          > there are many: 1:20.5,
          > > 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about.
          > Also, is this for scaling
          > > a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always
          > advisable.
          > > >
          > > > Brad
          > >

          > > To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email
          > above take the larger
          > > scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to
          > in this case 220
          > >
          > > 20.5/220=.0931818
          > > 22.5/220=.1022727
          > > 29/220=.131818
          > > 32/220=.1454545
          > > 87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
          > > 160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale
          > >

          > > etc, etc, etc.
          > >
          > > Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.
          > >
          > > Gwyl B.

        • Allan Miller
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2 2:33 AM
            I'm not exactly sure what you're disagreeing with.

            Granted that most Large Scale buildings and accessories (but certainly
            not all) are built in 1:24 scale (not 1:25) for Large Scale so they
            can enjoy use in most all of the assorted scales, the trains
            themselves fall into specific scales--all designed for operation on a
            45mm track gauge.

            1:32 (MTH, Marklin, etc.) is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
            standard gauge prototypes on that track gauge; 1:20.3 (Bachmann,
            Accucraft, etc.) is the correct scale for modeling U.S. three-foot
            narrow gauge on that track gauge; and 1:22.5 (LGB) is the correct
            scale for modeling European meter gauge on that same track gauge. The
            other most popular scales in Large Scale include 1:24 (Hartland, etc.)
            and 1:29 (Aristo, USA Trains, etc.).

            Not sure what all of this has to do with Z, but we might as well have
            the correct scale definitions/applications used.

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Creighton Sr <bigtrain6@...> wrote:

            > I Tend to disagree as most ascessories available including
            bldg,vehicles, people most G scalers even those using
            aristo,usa,bachman and of course LGB,gauge 1 Marklin is 1/25th as 1/32
            looks too small and most things available on the market are 1/25th in size

          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2 5:07 AM
              Don't forget G deals with 1:22.5 when narrow gauge,
              still running on 45mm broad track.

              When dealing with standard gauge, on 45mm broad track,
              G is 1/29.5.

              So in this last case the ratio is something like 1/9.5

              Dom

              --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@...> a écrit :

              > I wouldn't put my whole retirement on this, but
              > stuff I have picked up
              > along the way is G = 1:22.5

              http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
            • Don Avila
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2 5:23 AM
                The real problem is how do you know that the “G” dimensions you are
                using are really properly scaled. After reading this whole thread it
                almost seems that “G” is in the eye of the beholder.

                Don

                --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@att. <mailto:d.f.avila%40att.net> net> a écrit
                :

                > I wouldn't put my whole retirement on this, but
                > stuff I have picked up
                > along the way is G = 1:22.5

                Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes vos
                questions !
                Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des expériences des
                internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses
                http://fr.answers <http://fr.answers.yahoo.com> yahoo.com

              • Lois & Carl Feyerherm
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2 10:33 PM
                  John B.

                  G scale varies in size from 1:22.5 to 1:29 depending on the brand however the track is identical (rail centers). Depending on what you plan to reduce be sure you know what the ratio of the G scale is before you do any reducing.

                  Carl
                  In Nebraska in a blowing snow advisory or blizzard warning depending on how far west and south you are of the Missouri River

                • Allan Borg
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 3 4:13 PM
                    Interesingly enough I seem to have seen somewhere that the individual
                    scales in the "G" range have sometimes been divided into other
                    reference designations being G H I and J or was it F G H and I, while
                    1/32 is Marklin's "1" gauge.
                    Allan Borg

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 4 3:00 AM
                      I believe that's true, although very few are using those designations.
                      For one thing, it leads to extra effort and confusion on the part of
                      the hobbyist because it requires the individual to actually know what
                      scale the letters designate. "G" was relatively easy back when any
                      Large Scale trains were pretty much grouped under that designation (as
                      is Z and most other scales), but with the emergence of 1:20.3, 1:22.5,
                      1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 (among some others) as viable scales in their own
                      rite, going with letters just adds to the complexity.

                      For example, Z alone probably means nothing to most novices; you
                      pretty much have to expand on the designation every time you introduce
                      someone to the hobby by explaining that the models are 1:220 the size
                      of the prototype. Ditto for N, HO, S, O (and OO), etc. And then
                      there's the added explanations that are needed for Nn3, HOn3, On30,
                      and the like.