RE: [Z_Scale] Reducing G Scale to Z Scale

  • saundebn@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
      It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ... there are many: 1:20.5, 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about. Also, is this for scaling a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.

      Brad

      From: "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...>
      I wouldn't put my whole retirement on this, but stuff I have picked up
      along the way is G = 1:22.5 and Z = 1:220 That would make the
      reduction to be just about 90%. Better see what other replies you get
      before heading for the milling machine.

      Don
      Akron, Ohio - USA

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
        Michael,

        Thanks!

        John

        _____

        Multiply your G measurement by 0.102 = Z. I use this chart if the link
        works:

        http://www.urbaneag <http://www.urbaneagle.com/data/RRconvcharts.html>
        le.com/data/RRconvcharts.html

        Michael Hilliard
        Wilton, CT USA

        John Bartolotto <jsbart@pjsnet1. <mailto:jsbart%40pjsnet1.de> de> wrote:
        Can anyone tell me the percentage ratio to reduce a G scale drawing to
        Z scale?

        John Bartolotto

      • grblaser
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, saundebn@... wrote:

          > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ... there are many: 1:20.5,
          1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about. Also, is this for scaling
          a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.

          > Brad

          To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email above take the larger
          scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to in this case 220

          20.5/220=.0931818
          22.5/220=.1022727
          29/220=.131818
          32/220=.1454545
          87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
          160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale

          etc, etc, etc.

          Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.

          Gwyl B.
        • Allan Miller
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
            Just a minor correction to what has been posted: There is no 1:20.5
            scale. It's 1:20.3, which is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
            three-foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. Along with 1:29 (the scale
            "created" by Aristo-Craft), 1:20.3 is probably the most popular of the
            various Large Scales among U.S. modelers. Not necessarily true in
            other parts of the planet.

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "grblaser" <grblaser@...> wrote:

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, saundebn@ wrote:
            > >
            > > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ...
            there are many: 1:20.5,
            > 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about.
            Also, is this for scaling
            > a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.
            > >
            > > Brad
            >

            > To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email
            above take the larger
            > scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to
            in this case 220

            > 20.5/220=.0931818
            > 22.5/220=.1022727
            > 29/220=.131818
            > 32/220=.1454545
            > 87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
            > 160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale
            >

            > etc, etc, etc.
            >
            > Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.
            >
            > Gwyl B.

          • Thomas Creighton Sr
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
              I Tend to disagree as most ascessories available including bldg,vehicles, people most G scalers even those using aristo,usa,bachman and of course LGB,gauge 1 Marklin is 1/25th as 1/32 looks too small and most things available on the market are 1/25th in size

              Just a minor correction to what has been posted: There is no 1:20.5
              scale. It's 1:20.3, which is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
              three-foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. Along with 1:29 (the scale
              "created" by Aristo-Craft) , 1:20.3 is probably the most popular of the
              various Large Scales among U.S. modelers. Not necessarily true in
              other parts of the planet.

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, "grblaser" <grblaser@.. .> wrote:

              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, saundebn@ wrote:
              > >
              > > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ...
              there are many: 1:20.5,
              > 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about.
              Also, is this for scaling
              > a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.
              > >
              > > Brad
              >

              > To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email
              above take the larger
              > scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to
              in this case 220

              > 20.5/220=.0931818
              > 22.5/220=.1022727
              > 29/220=.131818
              > 32/220=.1454545
              > 87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
              > 160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale
              >

              > etc, etc, etc.
              >
              > Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.
              >
              > Gwyl B.

            • Reynard Wellman
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
                Hello Allan,
                I concur. I have a few 1:20.3 kits that I have not
                had the time to put together yet.They are beautiful.
                One day, when I inherit a couple of spare acres, I may
                get more involved in this incredibly pleasant
                scale. The other large scales do not have as many
                cottage industry craftsmen designing rolling stock as you
                find in 1:20.3 scale.

                Reynard
                http://www.micronart.com
                On Mar 1, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Allan Miller wrote:

                > Just a minor correction to what has been posted: There is no 1:20.5
                > scale. It's 1:20.3, which is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
                > three-foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. Along with 1:29 (the scale
                > "created" by Aristo-Craft), 1:20.3 is probably the most popular of the
                > various Large Scales among U.S. modelers. Not necessarily true in
                > other parts of the planet.
                >
                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "grblaser" <grblaser@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, saundebn@ wrote:
                > > >
                > > > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ...
                > there are many: 1:20.5,
                > > 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about.
                > Also, is this for scaling
                > > a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always
                > advisable.
                > > >
                > > > Brad
                > >

                > > To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email
                > above take the larger
                > > scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to
                > in this case 220
                > >
                > > 20.5/220=.0931818
                > > 22.5/220=.1022727
                > > 29/220=.131818
                > > 32/220=.1454545
                > > 87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
                > > 160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale
                > >

                > > etc, etc, etc.
                > >
                > > Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.
                > >
                > > Gwyl B.

              • Allan Miller
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
                  I'm not exactly sure what you're disagreeing with.

                  Granted that most Large Scale buildings and accessories (but certainly
                  not all) are built in 1:24 scale (not 1:25) for Large Scale so they
                  can enjoy use in most all of the assorted scales, the trains
                  themselves fall into specific scales--all designed for operation on a
                  45mm track gauge.

                  1:32 (MTH, Marklin, etc.) is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
                  standard gauge prototypes on that track gauge; 1:20.3 (Bachmann,
                  Accucraft, etc.) is the correct scale for modeling U.S. three-foot
                  narrow gauge on that track gauge; and 1:22.5 (LGB) is the correct
                  scale for modeling European meter gauge on that same track gauge. The
                  other most popular scales in Large Scale include 1:24 (Hartland, etc.)
                  and 1:29 (Aristo, USA Trains, etc.).

                  Not sure what all of this has to do with Z, but we might as well have
                  the correct scale definitions/applications used.

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Creighton Sr <bigtrain6@...> wrote:

                  > I Tend to disagree as most ascessories available including
                  bldg,vehicles, people most G scalers even those using
                  aristo,usa,bachman and of course LGB,gauge 1 Marklin is 1/25th as 1/32
                  looks too small and most things available on the market are 1/25th in size

                • de Champeaux Dominique
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
                    Don't forget G deals with 1:22.5 when narrow gauge,
                    still running on 45mm broad track.

                    When dealing with standard gauge, on 45mm broad track,
                    G is 1/29.5.

                    So in this last case the ratio is something like 1/9.5

                    Dom

                    --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@...> a écrit :

                    > I wouldn't put my whole retirement on this, but
                    > stuff I have picked up
                    > along the way is G = 1:22.5

                    http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
                  • Don Avila
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
                      The real problem is how do you know that the “G” dimensions you are
                      using are really properly scaled. After reading this whole thread it
                      almost seems that “G” is in the eye of the beholder.

                      Don

                      --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@att. <mailto:d.f.avila%40att.net> net> a écrit
                      :

                      > I wouldn't put my whole retirement on this, but
                      > stuff I have picked up
                      > along the way is G = 1:22.5

                      Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes vos
                      questions !
                      Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des expériences des
                      internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses
                      http://fr.answers <http://fr.answers.yahoo.com> yahoo.com

                    • Lois & Carl Feyerherm
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
                        John B.

                        G scale varies in size from 1:22.5 to 1:29 depending on the brand however the track is identical (rail centers). Depending on what you plan to reduce be sure you know what the ratio of the G scale is before you do any reducing.

                        Carl
                        In Nebraska in a blowing snow advisory or blizzard warning depending on how far west and south you are of the Missouri River

                      • Allan Borg
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 3, 2007
                          Interesingly enough I seem to have seen somewhere that the individual
                          scales in the "G" range have sometimes been divided into other
                          reference designations being G H I and J or was it F G H and I, while
                          1/32 is Marklin's "1" gauge.
                          Allan Borg

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 4, 2007
                            I believe that's true, although very few are using those designations.
                            For one thing, it leads to extra effort and confusion on the part of
                            the hobbyist because it requires the individual to actually know what
                            scale the letters designate. "G" was relatively easy back when any
                            Large Scale trains were pretty much grouped under that designation (as
                            is Z and most other scales), but with the emergence of 1:20.3, 1:22.5,
                            1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 (among some others) as viable scales in their own
                            rite, going with letters just adds to the complexity.

                            For example, Z alone probably means nothing to most novices; you
                            pretty much have to expand on the designation every time you introduce
                            someone to the hobby by explaining that the models are 1:220 the size
                            of the prototype. Ditto for N, HO, S, O (and OO), etc. And then
                            there's the added explanations that are needed for Nn3, HOn3, On30,
                            and the like.