RE: [Z_Scale] Reducing G Scale to Z Scale

  • saundebn@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
      It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ... there are many: 1:20.5, 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about. Also, is this for scaling a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.

      Brad

      From: "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...>
      I wouldn't put my whole retirement on this, but stuff I have picked up
      along the way is G = 1:22.5 and Z = 1:220 That would make the
      reduction to be just about 90%. Better see what other replies you get
      before heading for the milling machine.

      Don
      Akron, Ohio - USA

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
        Hi John,

        Multiply your G measurement by 0.102 = Z. I use this chart if the link works:

        http://www.urbaneagle.com/data/RRconvcharts.html

        Michael Hilliard
        Wilton, CT USA

        John Bartolotto <jsbart@...> wrote:
        Can anyone tell me the percentage ratio to reduce a G scale drawing to
        Z scale?

        John Bartolotto

      • John & Sue Bartolotto
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
          Michael,

          Thanks!

          John

          _____

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, saundebn@... wrote:

            > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ... there are many: 1:20.5,
            1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about. Also, is this for scaling
            a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.

            > Brad

            To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email above take the larger
            scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to in this case 220

            20.5/220=.0931818
            22.5/220=.1022727
            29/220=.131818
            32/220=.1454545
            87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
            160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale

            etc, etc, etc.

            Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.

            Gwyl B.
          • Allan Miller
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
              Just a minor correction to what has been posted: There is no 1:20.5
              scale. It's 1:20.3, which is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
              three-foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. Along with 1:29 (the scale
              "created" by Aristo-Craft), 1:20.3 is probably the most popular of the
              various Large Scales among U.S. modelers. Not necessarily true in
              other parts of the planet.

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "grblaser" <grblaser@...> wrote:

              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, saundebn@ wrote:
              > >
              > > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ...
              there are many: 1:20.5,
              > 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about.
              Also, is this for scaling
              > a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.
              > >
              > > Brad
              >

              > To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email
              above take the larger
              > scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to
              in this case 220

              > 20.5/220=.0931818
              > 22.5/220=.1022727
              > 29/220=.131818
              > 32/220=.1454545
              > 87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
              > 160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale
              >

              > etc, etc, etc.
              >
              > Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.
              >
              > Gwyl B.

            • Thomas Creighton Sr
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
                I Tend to disagree as most ascessories available including bldg,vehicles, people most G scalers even those using aristo,usa,bachman and of course LGB,gauge 1 Marklin is 1/25th as 1/32 looks too small and most things available on the market are 1/25th in size

                Just a minor correction to what has been posted: There is no 1:20.5
                scale. It's 1:20.3, which is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
                three-foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. Along with 1:29 (the scale
                "created" by Aristo-Craft) , 1:20.3 is probably the most popular of the
                various Large Scales among U.S. modelers. Not necessarily true in
                other parts of the planet.

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, "grblaser" <grblaser@.. .> wrote:

                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, saundebn@ wrote:
                > >
                > > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ...
                there are many: 1:20.5,
                > 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about.
                Also, is this for scaling
                > a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.
                > >
                > > Brad
                >

                > To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email
                above take the larger
                > scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to
                in this case 220

                > 20.5/220=.0931818
                > 22.5/220=.1022727
                > 29/220=.131818
                > 32/220=.1454545
                > 87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
                > 160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale
                >

                > etc, etc, etc.
                >
                > Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.
                >
                > Gwyl B.

              • Reynard Wellman
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
                  Hello Allan,
                  I concur. I have a few 1:20.3 kits that I have not
                  had the time to put together yet.They are beautiful.
                  One day, when I inherit a couple of spare acres, I may
                  get more involved in this incredibly pleasant
                  scale. The other large scales do not have as many
                  cottage industry craftsmen designing rolling stock as you
                  find in 1:20.3 scale.

                  Reynard
                  http://www.micronart.com
                  On Mar 1, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Allan Miller wrote:

                  > Just a minor correction to what has been posted: There is no 1:20.5
                  > scale. It's 1:20.3, which is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
                  > three-foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. Along with 1:29 (the scale
                  > "created" by Aristo-Craft), 1:20.3 is probably the most popular of the
                  > various Large Scales among U.S. modelers. Not necessarily true in
                  > other parts of the planet.
                  >
                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "grblaser" <grblaser@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, saundebn@ wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ...
                  > there are many: 1:20.5,
                  > > 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about.
                  > Also, is this for scaling
                  > > a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always
                  > advisable.
                  > > >
                  > > > Brad
                  > >

                  > > To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email
                  > above take the larger
                  > > scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to
                  > in this case 220
                  > >
                  > > 20.5/220=.0931818
                  > > 22.5/220=.1022727
                  > > 29/220=.131818
                  > > 32/220=.1454545
                  > > 87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
                  > > 160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale
                  > >

                  > > etc, etc, etc.
                  > >
                  > > Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.
                  > >
                  > > Gwyl B.

                • Allan Miller
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
                    I'm not exactly sure what you're disagreeing with.

                    Granted that most Large Scale buildings and accessories (but certainly
                    not all) are built in 1:24 scale (not 1:25) for Large Scale so they
                    can enjoy use in most all of the assorted scales, the trains
                    themselves fall into specific scales--all designed for operation on a
                    45mm track gauge.

                    1:32 (MTH, Marklin, etc.) is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
                    standard gauge prototypes on that track gauge; 1:20.3 (Bachmann,
                    Accucraft, etc.) is the correct scale for modeling U.S. three-foot
                    narrow gauge on that track gauge; and 1:22.5 (LGB) is the correct
                    scale for modeling European meter gauge on that same track gauge. The
                    other most popular scales in Large Scale include 1:24 (Hartland, etc.)
                    and 1:29 (Aristo, USA Trains, etc.).

                    Not sure what all of this has to do with Z, but we might as well have
                    the correct scale definitions/applications used.

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Creighton Sr <bigtrain6@...> wrote:

                    > I Tend to disagree as most ascessories available including
                    bldg,vehicles, people most G scalers even those using
                    aristo,usa,bachman and of course LGB,gauge 1 Marklin is 1/25th as 1/32
                    looks too small and most things available on the market are 1/25th in size

                  • de Champeaux Dominique
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
                      Don't forget G deals with 1:22.5 when narrow gauge,
                      still running on 45mm broad track.

                      When dealing with standard gauge, on 45mm broad track,
                      G is 1/29.5.

                      So in this last case the ratio is something like 1/9.5

                      Dom

                      --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@...> a écrit :

                      > I wouldn't put my whole retirement on this, but
                      > stuff I have picked up
                      > along the way is G = 1:22.5

                      http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
                    • Don Avila
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
                        The real problem is how do you know that the “G” dimensions you are
                        using are really properly scaled. After reading this whole thread it
                        almost seems that “G” is in the eye of the beholder.

                        Don

                        --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@att. <mailto:d.f.avila%40att.net> net> a écrit
                        :

                        > I wouldn't put my whole retirement on this, but
                        > stuff I have picked up
                        > along the way is G = 1:22.5

                        Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes vos
                        questions !
                        Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des expériences des
                        internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses
                        http://fr.answers <http://fr.answers.yahoo.com> yahoo.com

                      • Lois & Carl Feyerherm
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
                          John B.

                          G scale varies in size from 1:22.5 to 1:29 depending on the brand however the track is identical (rail centers). Depending on what you plan to reduce be sure you know what the ratio of the G scale is before you do any reducing.

                          Carl
                          In Nebraska in a blowing snow advisory or blizzard warning depending on how far west and south you are of the Missouri River

                        • Allan Borg
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 3, 2007
                            Interesingly enough I seem to have seen somewhere that the individual
                            scales in the "G" range have sometimes been divided into other
                            reference designations being G H I and J or was it F G H and I, while
                            1/32 is Marklin's "1" gauge.
                            Allan Borg

                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 4, 2007
                              I believe that's true, although very few are using those designations.
                              For one thing, it leads to extra effort and confusion on the part of
                              the hobbyist because it requires the individual to actually know what
                              scale the letters designate. "G" was relatively easy back when any
                              Large Scale trains were pretty much grouped under that designation (as
                              is Z and most other scales), but with the emergence of 1:20.3, 1:22.5,
                              1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 (among some others) as viable scales in their own
                              rite, going with letters just adds to the complexity.

                              For example, Z alone probably means nothing to most novices; you
                              pretty much have to expand on the designation every time you introduce
                              someone to the hobby by explaining that the models are 1:220 the size
                              of the prototype. Ditto for N, HO, S, O (and OO), etc. And then
                              there's the added explanations that are needed for Nn3, HOn3, On30,
                              and the like.