Reducing G Scale to Z Scale

  • John Bartolotto
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
      Can anyone tell me the percentage ratio to reduce a G scale drawing to
      Z scale?

      John Bartolotto
    • Don Avila
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
        I wouldn't put my whole retirement on this, but stuff I have picked up
        along the way is G = 1:22.5 and Z = 1:220 That would make the
        reduction to be just about 90%. Better see what other replies you get
        before heading for the milling machine.

        Don
        Akron, Ohio - USA

        Can anyone tell me the percentage ratio to reduce a G scale drawing to
        Z scale?

        John Bartolotto

      • John & Sue Bartolotto
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
          Don,

          Thanks!

          John

          _____

        • saundebn@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
            It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ... there are many: 1:20.5, 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about. Also, is this for scaling a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.

            Brad

            Can anyone tell me the percentage ratio to reduce a G scale drawing to
            Z scale?

            John Bartolotto

          • Michael Hilliard
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
              Hi John,

              Multiply your G measurement by 0.102 = Z. I use this chart if the link works:

              http://www.urbaneagle.com/data/RRconvcharts.html

              Michael Hilliard
              Wilton, CT USA

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
                Michael,

                Thanks!

                John

                _____

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, saundebn@... wrote:

                  > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ... there are many: 1:20.5,
                  1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about. Also, is this for scaling
                  a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.

                  > Brad

                  To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email above take the larger
                  scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to in this case 220

                  20.5/220=.0931818
                  22.5/220=.1022727
                  29/220=.131818
                  32/220=.1454545
                  87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
                  160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale

                  etc, etc, etc.

                  Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.

                  Gwyl B.
                • Allan Miller
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
                    Just a minor correction to what has been posted: There is no 1:20.5
                    scale. It's 1:20.3, which is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
                    three-foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. Along with 1:29 (the scale
                    "created" by Aristo-Craft), 1:20.3 is probably the most popular of the
                    various Large Scales among U.S. modelers. Not necessarily true in
                    other parts of the planet.

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "grblaser" <grblaser@...> wrote:

                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, saundebn@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ...
                    there are many: 1:20.5,
                    > 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about.
                    Also, is this for scaling
                    > a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.
                    > >
                    > > Brad
                    >

                    > To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email
                    above take the larger
                    > scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to
                    in this case 220

                    > 20.5/220=.0931818
                    > 22.5/220=.1022727
                    > 29/220=.131818
                    > 32/220=.1454545
                    > 87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
                    > 160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale
                    >

                    > etc, etc, etc.
                    >
                    > Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.
                    >
                    > Gwyl B.

                  • Thomas Creighton Sr
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
                      I Tend to disagree as most ascessories available including bldg,vehicles, people most G scalers even those using aristo,usa,bachman and of course LGB,gauge 1 Marklin is 1/25th as 1/32 looks too small and most things available on the market are 1/25th in size

                      Just a minor correction to what has been posted: There is no 1:20.5
                      scale. It's 1:20.3, which is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
                      three-foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. Along with 1:29 (the scale
                      "created" by Aristo-Craft) , 1:20.3 is probably the most popular of the
                      various Large Scales among U.S. modelers. Not necessarily true in
                      other parts of the planet.

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, "grblaser" <grblaser@.. .> wrote:

                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, saundebn@ wrote:
                      > >
                      > > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ...
                      there are many: 1:20.5,
                      > 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about.
                      Also, is this for scaling
                      > a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always advisable.
                      > >
                      > > Brad
                      >

                      > To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email
                      above take the larger
                      > scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to
                      in this case 220

                      > 20.5/220=.0931818
                      > 22.5/220=.1022727
                      > 29/220=.131818
                      > 32/220=.1454545
                      > 87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
                      > 160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale
                      >

                      > etc, etc, etc.
                      >
                      > Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.
                      >
                      > Gwyl B.

                    • Reynard Wellman
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
                        Hello Allan,
                        I concur. I have a few 1:20.3 kits that I have not
                        had the time to put together yet.They are beautiful.
                        One day, when I inherit a couple of spare acres, I may
                        get more involved in this incredibly pleasant
                        scale. The other large scales do not have as many
                        cottage industry craftsmen designing rolling stock as you
                        find in 1:20.3 scale.

                        Reynard
                        http://www.micronart.com
                        On Mar 1, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Allan Miller wrote:

                        > Just a minor correction to what has been posted: There is no 1:20.5
                        > scale. It's 1:20.3, which is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
                        > three-foot narrow gauge on 45mm track. Along with 1:29 (the scale
                        > "created" by Aristo-Craft), 1:20.3 is probably the most popular of the
                        > various Large Scales among U.S. modelers. Not necessarily true in
                        > other parts of the planet.
                        >
                        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "grblaser" <grblaser@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, saundebn@ wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > It depends on which G-scale you are actually referring to ...
                        > there are many: 1:20.5,
                        > > 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 to name the ones that I know about.
                        > Also, is this for scaling
                        > > a model or a layout? Direct scaling of a layout isn't always
                        > advisable.
                        > > >
                        > > > Brad
                        > >

                        > > To figure it out depending on the scale as mentioned in the email
                        > above take the larger
                        > > scale in this case 22.5 and divide it by the scale you want to go to
                        > in this case 220
                        > >
                        > > 20.5/220=.0931818
                        > > 22.5/220=.1022727
                        > > 29/220=.131818
                        > > 32/220=.1454545
                        > > 87/220=.3954545 HO to Z scale
                        > > 160/220=.7272727 N scale to Z scale
                        > >

                        > > etc, etc, etc.
                        > >
                        > > Good luck on what ever it is you are reducing.
                        > >
                        > > Gwyl B.

                      • Allan Miller
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
                          I'm not exactly sure what you're disagreeing with.

                          Granted that most Large Scale buildings and accessories (but certainly
                          not all) are built in 1:24 scale (not 1:25) for Large Scale so they
                          can enjoy use in most all of the assorted scales, the trains
                          themselves fall into specific scales--all designed for operation on a
                          45mm track gauge.

                          1:32 (MTH, Marklin, etc.) is the correct scale for modeling U.S.
                          standard gauge prototypes on that track gauge; 1:20.3 (Bachmann,
                          Accucraft, etc.) is the correct scale for modeling U.S. three-foot
                          narrow gauge on that track gauge; and 1:22.5 (LGB) is the correct
                          scale for modeling European meter gauge on that same track gauge. The
                          other most popular scales in Large Scale include 1:24 (Hartland, etc.)
                          and 1:29 (Aristo, USA Trains, etc.).

                          Not sure what all of this has to do with Z, but we might as well have
                          the correct scale definitions/applications used.

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Creighton Sr <bigtrain6@...> wrote:

                          > I Tend to disagree as most ascessories available including
                          bldg,vehicles, people most G scalers even those using
                          aristo,usa,bachman and of course LGB,gauge 1 Marklin is 1/25th as 1/32
                          looks too small and most things available on the market are 1/25th in size

                        • de Champeaux Dominique
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
                            Don't forget G deals with 1:22.5 when narrow gauge,
                            still running on 45mm broad track.

                            When dealing with standard gauge, on 45mm broad track,
                            G is 1/29.5.

                            So in this last case the ratio is something like 1/9.5

                            Dom

                            --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@...> a écrit :

                            > I wouldn't put my whole retirement on this, but
                            > stuff I have picked up
                            > along the way is G = 1:22.5

                            http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
                          • Don Avila
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
                              The real problem is how do you know that the “G” dimensions you are
                              using are really properly scaled. After reading this whole thread it
                              almost seems that “G” is in the eye of the beholder.

                              Don

                              --- Don Avila <d.f.avila@att. <mailto:d.f.avila%40att.net> net> a écrit
                              :

                              > I wouldn't put my whole retirement on this, but
                              > stuff I have picked up
                              > along the way is G = 1:22.5

                              Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes vos
                              questions !
                              Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des expériences des
                              internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses
                              http://fr.answers <http://fr.answers.yahoo.com> yahoo.com

                            • Lois & Carl Feyerherm
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
                                John B.

                                G scale varies in size from 1:22.5 to 1:29 depending on the brand however the track is identical (rail centers). Depending on what you plan to reduce be sure you know what the ratio of the G scale is before you do any reducing.

                                Carl
                                In Nebraska in a blowing snow advisory or blizzard warning depending on how far west and south you are of the Missouri River

                              • Allan Borg
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 3, 2007
                                  Interesingly enough I seem to have seen somewhere that the individual
                                  scales in the "G" range have sometimes been divided into other
                                  reference designations being G H I and J or was it F G H and I, while
                                  1/32 is Marklin's "1" gauge.
                                  Allan Borg

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 4, 2007
                                    I believe that's true, although very few are using those designations.
                                    For one thing, it leads to extra effort and confusion on the part of
                                    the hobbyist because it requires the individual to actually know what
                                    scale the letters designate. "G" was relatively easy back when any
                                    Large Scale trains were pretty much grouped under that designation (as
                                    is Z and most other scales), but with the emergence of 1:20.3, 1:22.5,
                                    1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 (among some others) as viable scales in their own
                                    rite, going with letters just adds to the complexity.

                                    For example, Z alone probably means nothing to most novices; you
                                    pretty much have to expand on the designation every time you introduce
                                    someone to the hobby by explaining that the models are 1:220 the size
                                    of the prototype. Ditto for N, HO, S, O (and OO), etc. And then
                                    there's the added explanations that are needed for Nn3, HOn3, On30,
                                    and the like.